Do you fish meat?

MEAT! Yes, Muskegon- but if you don't like the stink or mess run BTB- "Better than Bait" seems to work well and no mess- dip the different colored strips in herring oil and deploy-

Have you ever shined a UV Black light on the BTB or on herring oil? BTB material can be bought at most fabric stores by the yard or fraction of a yard. Some Walmarts even have it. Just go looking and you will recognize it.

It may be da smell or it may be da light it's any ones guess what makes dem bite.

Meat runners, what is your preferred speed?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rarely- South Haven

Yes- Manistee

Seems to work better up north for me. Haven't ran much down south.

1.8-2.2 GPS. I adjust for current and upwind vs. downwind.

So this might be good when dropping trash cans and wobbles at these slower speeds.

• 4 weeks later...

Fished St. Joe 4/12 &4/13. We boated 24 of 30fish over the two days (5 hours fishing first day;3 hrs the second). Of the 20 fish we kept, 17 came on Meat Rigs (Big Water Tackle). Here's the catch......of the 6 rods we ran, only 2 were meat poles.....Wire diver back 275' with a magnum walker dipsy and a rigger down 115' with Spin Doctor/meat rig set-up. This was the first time I ran meat in Southern Lake Michigan.....I'll never leave home without it from now on!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been running it a lot more this year. Usually at least on one rigger and a wire diver. Even sabiki'd some Alewife off the pier at Holland in July and brined it up. The whole Alewife in Big Weenie heads has done as well as the herring strips. Probably 30% of the fish with at most 1/3 of the rods with it on.

Normally I don't run meat as I fish Lower Lake Huron and we just don't have the fish yet nor the action on that type of bait that keeps me running that slow, spoons at 2.8 - 3.4 sog does the trick here. Now last week at Frankfort we did put down a couple Yooper meat rigs, that would be fresh belly fat sliced off of fish we caught......does it work......ahhhh......much better than store bought packaged bait. The fish don't seem to care if it is lake trout, salmon, etc....but it is fresh and has flavor. And yes we caught fish on them!!

• 6 months later...

Since gettinga little long in the tooth i've come to love fishing meat ! It allows me to sleep in. Avoid the morning rush at the ramp. Go deep, avoid the traffic, fill the box and be back in before the evening traffic at the ramp. Oh, talking manistee.

• 6 months later...