UV, Glow, or both

I just thought I'd try to get some different opinions on the UV stuff. For a quite a few years the emphasis was on the glows. A while back the word was, "If it doesn't GLOW it will not GO". It seems now UV products have pushed their way into the spotlight. I still use more glows in low light conditions but I have an open mind on the subject.:)

I would have to say both.... Being that in low lite conditions the uv just don't work like it would in a bright sunny day or even in a some what over cast day, I use both and the uv make the lures that you would normally use in the upper water collum 0-30 or so just as good at depts of 60-70 org,yellow and char have so much color with the uv coating.

I'm sold on it and I will use it till the next greatest thing pops up

luremaker

Rule of thumb the more day light you have the better it works ,It works on the UV rays given off from the sun,so on a sunny day the UV is high and even on a cloudy day there are still UV out there but not as strong.That's what makes it work. I always run a few hot color patterns with UV all day rain or shine.

luremaker

The Kato was good for me off Ludington as well, I almost tore my boat apart trying to find a couple more last July! Frank, I find the UV Streak Jr's and Minis outfish the standard colors on the Bay. With the shallow water (<40), they work in high sun, or cloudy days, doesn't seem to matter on the Bay. I do have a couple of favorite non UV colors, but always have the UV stuff in the water also. My R.I.P. rigs(Colorado blades) that CJ Baker painted UV for me get real good reviews and reorders vs. the standard color patterns as well.

P1010956.jpg

The Kato was good for me off Ludington as well, I almost tore my boat apart trying to find a couple more last July! Frank, I find the UV Streak Jr's and Minis outfish the standard colors on the Bay. With the shallow water (<40), they work in high sun, or cloudy days, doesn't seem to matter on the Bay. I do have a couple of favorite non UV colors, but always have the UV stuff in the water also. My R.I.P. rigs(Colorado blades) that CJ Baker painted UV for me get real good reviews and reorders vs. the standard color patterns as well.

%7Boption%7D

I agree for eyes that UV is the only way to go. Most of what i have been using the last couple years for eyes has been the uv painted spoons. Espically last year with the muddy water on Erie all season. As far as salmon i havn't used them quite as much for salmon. That may change this year. I have to buy more of the UV salmon sized spoons to try them.

1970's vintage Locos, Nailers, and J-plugs still work for me.

Kevin, A good point. There has been a lot of advances in equipment and tackle but the old stuff can still get it done. The black and raspberry streak and anything purple or chartreuse. To some extent we are all like kids with toys. We play harder and longer with the new ones.:)

On the other hand Science and technology have change our game big time. Everything from the electronics we sport to spoons we run.

Anyone else mix in some oldies??? My old favorites Black and Raspberry Streak, Silver Bullet J, Yellow Tail, Monkey Puke, Kevorkian, on and on. A lot of the new stuff resembles the old.

im so stuck in my same rut, i run the same 50 colors of spoons, 10 flashers, 15 plugs. Might thro a new one in randomly

Matt, I think most everyone is like that. You put down what has been working and change up if necessary. If everything is working for you it's a good rut to be stuck in.

Anyone else mix in some oldies??? My old favorites Black and Raspberry Streak, Silver Bullet J, Yellow Tail, Monkey Puke, Kevorkian, on and on. A lot of the new stuff resembles the old.

I love my Yeck Lemon Ice !

These Fish Bones are all UV.

P1050050.jpg

I still use some of the stuff I used in 1975, But the new glow and UV stuff works too. Most important is find what works and get a lot of it down there. My friend Ken Neidlinger of Silver King charters will run every thing on the boat the same to get a spread that looks like a school of bait. Most important thing is find what works for you. Every boat fishes a little differently. Thats why I hate changing boats, Its a learning experience first season on a new platform.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchase a 51 diode UV flashlight on eBay. Less than $15 shipped. It came in the mail Saturday. I looked some lures and harness blades that I have and many have UV properties and are not labeled as UV. Here is a link to what I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/51-UV-395-nm-Super-Ultraviolet-LED-flashlight-Blacklight-Torch-Waterproof-3-AA-/320827217263?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item4ab2cad56f

It seems to be a quality product but it didn't work right out of the box. After installing 3 AA batteries I turned it on and nada. I removed the batteries and stuck my finger down the light and lifted the terminal slightly with my fingernail. It took a minute to figure out what was wrong and fix it.

Aaron, Yes they are a black type light that has a purple glow to it. Click the link I posted. You can get the tube type, Screw in incandescent bulbs, or LED (Light Emitting Diode) The LEDs are easier on batteries. Make sure they say UV light.