Whats Your Favorite Brand of Flies for Lake Michigan

Whats your favorite brand of flies to use on Lake Michigan?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your favorite brand of flies to use on Lake Michigan?

• Action Fly
    • A-tom-mic
    • Fisher
    • Gotcha
    • G-Fly
    • Howies
    • Purple Taco
    • Rapture
    • Sigg's Rigs
    • Other - Name the brand, or if you tie your own.

Big Weenie, I love there product but really like the way they give back to the sport by giving good solid helpful advice on what is working where and when..I used one of there vibrating flies alone on 300 copper and caught fish, I love the action of this fly.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The only Fly I will buy and run out of the package is Big Weenie I build most of my own and buy supplies from Purple Taco and Big Weenie. Big Weenie is the sponsor for our next event which will be held in Muskegon now due to a change. I have tried nearly all of the brands mentioned and while they are all decent flies my issue has been getting cheap VMC hooks and Mono leaders with them. So the first thing I have to do is replace the hook and leader meaning I paid 5 bucks for some tinsel and beads that I can build for under a buch all day long. You can however order the Maniac Glow from Big Weenie and it flat out catches fish. Gary's joke with me is that this years event fly will be the Buttsniffer we will see what he sends me LOL. I also tie nearly all of my leaders on Gamma Flouro leader with Owner 4/0 Octipus hooks they stay sharp they don't break and fish can't spit them out.

• 8 months later...

I believe most brand names are more than capable of catching size and numbers with the difference being in the presentation and all the variables associated with that. Personally I choose to run Mikes Eye Flies because of their "swivel through the head" design that allows me to quickly change out the fly without having to change leaders also. This also allows for easier and more compact storage of many flies [without leaders] and your not paying for cheap throw away hooks and mono leaders, just the flies.

I'm not sponsored by Mikes Eye Flies, just a satisfied customer sharing my thoughts.

Dave

I tie my own, I can match any one's patterns and its fun to catch fish with your own creations. I have a bout 2 dozen of my favorite coho patterns tied up and ready to go. I also have tied up a couple of new UV flies with double hooks and am looking forward to using them for Meat rigs.

• 10 months later...
The only Fly I will buy and run out of the package is Big Weenie I build most of my own and buy supplies from Purple Taco and Big Weenie. Big Weenie is the sponsor for our next event which will be held in Muskegon now due to a change. I have tried nearly all of the brands mentioned and while they are all decent flies my issue has been getting cheap VMC hooks and Mono leaders with them. So the first thing I have to do is replace the hook and leader meaning I paid 5 bucks for some tinsel and beads that I can build for under a buch all day long. You can however order the Maniac Glow from Big Weenie and it flat out catches fish. Gary's joke with me is that this years event fly will be the Buttsniffer we will see what he sends me LOL. I also tie nearly all of my leaders on Gamma Flouro leader with Owner 4/0 Octipus hooks they stay sharp they don't break and fish can't spit them out.

I second what Jim says. I really Enjoy tying my own flies. I get Supplies from Sigs and Big Weenie. I have become really kind of hooked on Big Weenie Meat rigs and supplies.

• 1 month later...