westwind

Salmon Jerky

westwind    16

I take the salmon in cut it up into narrow long slices about the width of my finger or smaller, then I brine in a freezer bag for 24 hours. (Brine is just, kosher salt, brown sugar and soy sauce, and a little hot sauce). After the brine, I place on racks for the smoker and sprinkle some hot seasoning on the fish or what ever you like. Then smoke for about 1-2 hours with apple, alder, or cherry wood. ( I have a luhr jenson big chief) this smoker only goes to about 180 degrees, so the cooking time takes a long time. After smoking for 1-2 hours, I just let it keep cooking for another 10 hours until the fish has almost dried out.

People love it and makes a great snack.

• Like 1

Priority1    30
I take the salmon in cut it up into narrow long slices about the width of my finger or smaller, then I brine in a freezer bag for 24 hours. (Brine is just, kosher salt, brown sugar and soy sauce, and a little hot sauce). After the brine, I place on racks for the smoker and sprinkle some hot seasoning on the fish or what ever you like. Then smoke for about 1-2 hours with apple, alder, or cherry wood. ( I have a luhr jenson big chief) this smoker only goes to about 180 degrees, so the cooking time takes a long time. After smoking for 1-2 hours, I just let it keep cooking for another 10 hours until the fish has almost dried out.

People love it and makes a great snack.

That would be excellent finger food for the boat. Thanks for posting this.:thumb:

westwind    16

made over Christmas, thought I would share a picture

20161225_133037.jpg

mrhookup    68

Wow that looks great, I'll have to try this on some fresh coho in the spring!

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

gmfishon    26

looks awesome. Only question is are some bigger than your finger length ? They look big. I'm sure they are delicious though !

westwind    16

they are lonbdf than finger length, it with width that I was trying to get close to finger width.  Long strips are great.

Nenad    0

Skin on th back or fillet cut into finger width?

Looks yummy will have to try this I I summer once I catch some fish.

Thanks for posting. 

Regards,

Nenad

Mega Byte    66

Another option is to take what you smoke, cut it into small pieces and mix it with cream cheese for a cracker dip.