what do all you guys do??

sherman51

hey everyboby. i was just wandering, after the fall bite is over and deer season is done, what do you guys and gals do to pass the time untill the spring bite starts??

i use to ice fish. but after my health went south, theres just not much i do in the cold nasty weather.

i do have family that lives in florida, so some years i manage to go visit them during the month of feb. by then i have had about all the winter i want. and by the time i get back the weather has started to brake. so i can just play with getting my fishing stuff ready for spring.

merry christmas to you one and all. and a happy and good new year.

sherman

It is usually ice fishing or steelheading on the St Joe and KZoo rivers. I also like to go hiking with my girls on all the trails in Waterloo when the snow isn't too deep. My oldest daughter and I hiked about 5 miles today on some of the more hilly terrain around here. She always wants to get off the trails and cut our own track and that's fine with me. This winter, I'm going to put more effort into coyote hunting.

Good question. I ice fish a little, cut firewood for next winters heat. I tie flies for fly fishing. Once the sport fishing shows start up I usually go to a few of them.

hitting the sport shows sounds like a good idea. i use to do alot of that. just got out of the habit over the years.

sherman

work in the shop building new spoons and flies and other new ideas that I have not had time to work on. Oh ya I spend about a week working on inventory so i can turn those numbers in to the tax man and the state .(you know they want there share at the end of the year).

luremaker

I am pretty busy with these guys this winter. Hunter is racing at the DeltaPlex again on 7 Jan. If we dont bend anything up on the car at the DeltaPlex we may take both cars to Columbus Ohio on 14 Jan. There are several other indoor dates this winter.

nervo_extreme_02.jpg

winner.jpg

nervo_kong_763344.jpg

I do the usual winter prep things like going through all my tackle and gear, restringing line, cleaning boxes and electronics. I sort through all the lures that I don't use and put them up for sale. I spend a lot of time on online auctions and attend local auctions looking for good deals on new/used tackle and equipment. I like to purchase large lots of lures, pick out the ones I want and resell the rest thus getting the stuff I want for free and making some extra cash for more gear/tackle. Some of the items I did real well on:

Scientific Anglers Fly reel for $35.....sold it for $110

Vintage Abu Garcia reel for $35 ....sold it for >$275

Never used Big Jon Cap Pac Elec Rigger with rod holders for $90....sold it for $375

17' Century boat for $235 .....sold it for $700

4 Big Jon Cap riggers with 9 rod holders for $135.....put them on my boat :)

So with a little time and effort I am able to get a lot of stuff to try out for the next season.

Mostly look forward to spring!!!

Besides work and my side jobs, tinker around with the boat, buy new terminal tackle, replace lines and what not, ice fish, tackle shows, and make a few trips downstate. Oh, and winter steelheading when flows and weather permits.

I do a lot of ice fishing"3 to 6 times a week", steelhead fish on the Kalamazoo river a few time a week till we get ice.

And do my part for Silver Streak at the sport shows around the state, these are a lot of fun. So if any one get to any of them this winter ,I think I will be at them all just stop in and say hi and talk fishing for a while.:thumb:

god, some of you guys sure bring back some good old memeries. before my health got bad, i use to do alot of rabbit hunting, ice fishing, and a few other things. like taking my kids snow sleding at the hill at our local lake. my legs are to bad for the rabbit hunting. and i might be able to do the ice fishing with a power auger. my heart wont let me drill the holes by hand. but i will be going through all my fishing gear before next spring. and im trying to talk my wife into making a trip to fl for the month of feb. if we do that then i can stay busy untill the walleye start running up at the maumee river. and i plan on fishing it this spring. you,all have a great new year. and thanks for sharing what you do in the cold winter months.

sherman

I do the usual winter prep things like going through all my tackle and gear, restringing line, cleaning boxes and electronics. I sort through all the lures that I don't use and put them up for sale. I spend a lot of time on online auctions and attend local auctions looking for good deals on new/used tackle and equipment. I like to purchase large lots of lures, pick out the ones I want and resell the rest thus getting the stuff I want for free and making some extra cash for more gear/tackle. Some of the items I did real well on:

Scientific Anglers Fly reel for $35.....sold it for $110

Vintage Abu Garcia reel for $35 ....sold it for >$275

Never used Big Jon Cap Pac Elec Rigger with rod holders for $90....sold it for $375

17' Century boat for $235 .....sold it for $700

4 Big Jon Cap riggers with 9 rod holders for $135.....put them on my boat :)

So with a little time and effort I am able to get a lot of stuff to try out for the next season.

If you dont mind me asking...exactly what type of vintage Abu reel were you able to sell for $275?

Not questioning it...just curious