party hunting

sherman51

ive been reading alot about this subject on another forum. i thought i would just get some of your thoughts on this. and if you have a problem with one type party hunting and not another one, please say what you think.

there is the hunting where one guy buys tags for his uncle bill and aunt mary and his grandma. and then goes out and fills these tags for himself, and the people never go in the woods to hunt.

then there is the 2 or 3 guys that hunts together and they all hunt hard. one guy gets a shot at another deer after taking his. he calls one of his friends and they tag the deer.

then there is a large group of hunters, and part of them take up a stand and the rest make a deer drive. the hunters on stand just shoot everything that comes by, untill everybody fills there tags.

im sure there are other ways to party hunt, but these are the ones i,ve been reading about.

party hunting in indiana is not leagle. and me or the guys i hunt with dont party hunt. i wouldnt want somebody to shoot my deer even if it was legal. but i could understand how if it was legal some would take the deer if they were hunting together and maby be the last couple of days of the season.

another question in the mix. if 6 guys are fishing with 12 rods and 3 guys has there limit. do you leave 12 rods in the water until all the limits are filled, or do you take 2 rods out every time someone gets his limit??

i really hope this doesnt turn into a pi$$ing match. i just wanted to get alittle discussion going on this subject. but im sure if it gets out of hand this thread will get closed.

sherman

We pull rods as each person limits. This really doesn't happen too often other than coho in the spring, and then you can't pull rods fast enough.

With coho if they're really hot we start rail dumping the lightly hooked ones and keep the buggered up ones, switching the spread out for browns and kings (and inevitably filling out on coho any way).

In WI you CAN shot a deer to fill someone elses tag PROVIDED you have their permission and they are within sight or sound. No radio/phone use is allowed. Doesn't mean that it does not happen but it would be illegal.

You can not buy a tag for someone else in WI or MI (I hunt there too) Nor can you be in possession of a tag issued to another.

In some areas around here, deer drives are a big deal. Some claim it's the ONLY way to get deer to move. Properly executed drives do produce deer. A must for every drive is for EVERYONE to agree to what is shot. When I was a kid, a guy shot a button buck (fawn) and I got stuck putting my tag on it as I had the only doe tag. I never would have shot that deer-even on the last day!

I haven't been on a deer drive in over 20 years. I like the peace and quite of sitting in my stand watching ALL the wild life.

isnt this what happens during duck or goose hunting im just asking i dont do either but if it does happen why is it any different than what your taking about. just for info though i dont think it is right to do if your limit is full or tags then you should be done also

Party after the hunting -- fine. Party hunting - - not so fine.

Although I guess legal in some states, I personally have no desire to have anyone else shoot a deer for me and we all have heard of parents shooting deer for their kids and making them tag it. This unfortunately I am sure would be enough to turn off a lot of young hunters. Deer drives, although effective to me cannot compare to outwitting a deer by picking out a location for a sit or putting on a good stalk or still hunting. Hunting is a personal one on one thing for me.

As far as the fishing and rods, well I can't say that I have ever pulled the extra rods and can't really say if it is required. There is catch and release fishing, and also tournament fishing where a limit of fish are in the livewell and they keep fishing. So with this in mind, if it is legal for the tourneys to keep fishing then it should also apply to non tourney fishing. Where I fish in Lk Huron not only are the big water fish available but also walleye inhabit the same areas that we fish the salmon and trout. So although we may limit on the salmon/trout side there are also walleye that we can continue to box. A vast majority of our trips consisted of mixed bags with walleye.

It would be interesting to see the "legal" ruling on the rod situation.

It can happen in duck and goose hunting, but if you're going to shoot my birds, you'd better ask first, and 98% of the time I'm saying no.

Sometimes stuff happens, you pop a hen by accident get more than a bird with one shot.

Don't think all duck and goose hunters are like this, I've killed probably close to 1000 birds and have less than a couple shot for me.....

I have been out on a couple of charter boats, and no lines were pulled until we hit the limit. This was also the way I fished my boat.<---being honest.

Same here. I have never pulled a rod until the job was done.:) One thing I have done is not reset a rod that has taken a fish and we are a fish or two away from a limit.

i want to thank all of you that has posted on this. i know its a tough subject. but nobody has got personal. that just keeps it a good clean thread where we can share our thoughts.

and i think i am like most others on here, i just like the hunting and not so much the killing. so i want to hunt right up to the last minute. or shoot my own deer. and if i dont get one, i just eat license stew,LOL. now i do no a couple of guys that will take there deer any way they can get it. we dont hunt with them anymore. we did have one guy that hunted with us, and always on the last day he would ask. if he had the shot did anybody want him to. we all just told him no. he would say if we had a shot to take it. but none of us ever did. the only reason i hunted with him, was he was my brother n law, and a good guy to be with. he would give you the shirt off his back. but he is gone now. maby where he,s at now he can get as many as he wants,LOL.

im not sure what i would do if they made it legal to shoot a deer for someone in your hunting party. and someone wanted me to shoot one for them. i believe i would atleast think about it on the last day of the season.(and it was legal). but myself, i wouldnt even think about someone elce taking my deer. that moment is what you,ve been waiting so long for.

as for pulling rods. for the most part we dont have that problem very often. but i guess we leave all rods out, so the guys thats got there limits can catch and release untill everybody elce gets theres,LOL. but they have to wait there turns. we dont assign rods to people. we just take turns no matter which rod catches the fish. im sure if you have done much fishing, you,ve found that one rod might catch half of our fish.

thanks again guys for your clean comments. i wish you all good hunting.

sherman

I don't see why you were worried about a fight starting. We are all sportsmen who enjoy what we do. Right?

I always figured if it was deemed legal in a certain state there was some tradition behind it. Like deer drives with dogs down south. Would I do it? Probably not but it is legal there. There are enough groups out there telling us that this or that is not ethical or some other nonsense. I figure all sports persons need to stick together-wether we personally agree with a particular method or not!

Thanks for the thought provoking post. It's nice to get an idea what others think and do!

Back in the day of 3 king limits you almost had to party fish. If I had landed three kings and it was my turn on a fish, was I supposed to hand it off if it made a run? Or if I had three kings and the guy fighting a fish didn't, and it started jumping, should he hand it to me as it's a steelie?

On a boat we just go communal. Some days my kids reel in all the fish.

Back in the day of 3 king limits you almost had to party fish. If I had landed three kings and it was my turn on a fish, was I supposed to hand it off if it made a run? Or if I had three kings and the guy fighting a fish didn't, and it started jumping, should he hand it to me as it's a steelie?

On a boat we just go communal. Some days my kids reel in all the fish.

you bring up some good points. and this is why i started this thread was to get more thoughts on things. i,ve fished a few charters and never seen them pull rods. and i never have either. but that dont mean we shouldnt. just makes you think. dont it?? i,ve never heard of the dnr ever ticketing anybody. maby its just an accepted pratice. and i,ll probably keep doing it untill i get caught.

i have done the same things with the kids. sometimes its just more fun to watch them bring in the fish than to catch them myself. now on my boat when fishing the central basin for eyes, i,ll never reel in a steelhead. i will always hand it off the the ones that hasnt fished alot. my grandkids and daughter n laws fish with me now. i love to watch them bring in a big steelie.

i dont think i really see anything wrong with taking a deer for someone in your hunting party as long as they are out there hunting with you, and it was lagal to do so. but i wouldnt want somebody taking a deer for me. the hunt is more important to me than getting a deer.

sherman

I'm the same way with fishing as most of the guys that have posted. We run max lines the entire time on the water until everyone is boxed out. Never really thought about the fact that we already have 5 in the box (which means technically that one guy is out). Guess it just never really crossed our minds. Interesting topic though.

Hunting, I've witnessed the woods push in Fennville. 10 guys sitting on 5 gallon buckets on a county road with shotguns about 75 yards apart. YIKES. I got out of there as fast as my vehicle would go. The biggest question I had was how they decide which way to shoot without getting in the crossfire.

I think hunting is as much about being in the woods as anything. I call it napping with a purpose. If I wanted to kill a deer for meat I would just pop one off the deck at my folks place.

Isn't culling legal as it relates to the DNR? In bass tournaments you can have 5 in your box, still fish, and swap out smaller fish if you catch a bigger one... Granted no one puts great lakes fish in a livewell so chances are you'd be tossing back a floater. Although lets say you are fishing for your last fish... have 16 rods out and you get your last one on. Then in the process of pulling lines you get two more on and just release them when the come in?

OK I'll be the bad guy. I bow hunt for the 6 weeks before the gun opener. I pass on a lot of deer waiting for antlers. After the first day of gun, the deer are nocturnal. I wait until the last week in November and I switch gears. If I didn't take a buck during bow season and nothing during the first week of gun I hunt for the meat. I have been in drives and have taken a doe during such drive. As with everything else a properly organized drive can be safe and fun.

As for fishing, I have set my pole aside in Detroit waiting for my fishing partners to get their limit and usually I pick it back up if they are not catching fish. Technically this is probably not legal but there is only so many hours in a day and I try to get my limit before going home.

I kind of believe that we hunt as fish for the fun we have doing it and the food that we recieve is the reward for the the time we have spent practicing our sport. As with everything else we all must make decisions that may or may not work for someone else. I think all of us are good sportsmen, we just have different ideas.

yes, it seems the guys on here are real sportsmen. we have all been able to post our thoughts without anyone getting slammed. this is really turning out to be a good thread.

and as for leaving all rods out even after we get our limit, there is really nothing that says we cant keep fishing for other spiecies or even catch and release. but it is fudgeing just alittle bit to let others use these rods to catch there limits. but myself, i see nothing wrong with this pratice. i think when trolling you should be able to use as many rods as you can handle, and not be limited to 2 or 3 rods per person. we all know that 1 person with 2 rods may not catch anything. but put out 6 or 8 rods and theres going to be a couple of those thats going to catch most of the fish. i,ve even used the same bait on all rods, but it always seems 1 or 2 of those baits catch most of the fish.

alot of states allow party hunting in some form. deer drives and even tagging deer someone elce has shot. and some states allow baiting. so i believe if something is made legal it is a more accepted pratice. here in indiana it is not legal to party hunt or to bait deer. but i accept it in the states where it has been made legal. just like using crossbows has not been legal here untill just a few years ago, they made it legal in the last part of archery season. and its my understanding that starting next year its going to be legal the intire season. to me its just another tool for hunters to use. and it might just get more young people into the sport of hunting. but for some its still not accepted.

for me the biggest reason i hunt anymore is just to spend some time with my sons and grandkids doing something together. just like fishing, the only time they really go fishing together is when we go to erie. so i will do that as long as im able. so i wouldnt want somebody elce to kill my deer, but i see nothing wrong with it for the person that wants the meat more than the hunt. and i have let the little ones reel in my fish. i get just as much enjoyment watching them catch fish as reeling them in myself. i have caught tons of salmon and steelhead over the last 35 yrs. so if its my turn to catch a walleye and it turns out to be a big steelie i,ll hand it off every time. my grandkids or daughter n laws havent caught many of them. so its more fun to me to just watch. i wish the best to all who love to fish and hunt.

sherman