My first Ontario fishing trip

The last few week have been very busy, so a late update is warranted. Jacob and I where invited to go on a fly in fishing trip this spring to ESNAGI LODGE http://esnagi.com/. We (or I) had never been on one of these trips, so it sounded like a great idea before he got to old and didn't want to hang with dad.

We left Caledonia at 6am Sunday 6/17 and arrived at Hawk Junction by 2pm.

after a short flight, we where fishing before dinner. We spent the rest of that evening and the next four full days fishing this 27 mile long lake. With no knowledge of the lake, it took a day to figure out what and where to target in order to find fish. 18-22 fow on shallow points where the key to finding fish, with a simple 1/4 oz jig and minnow. Jake kept tract, with the tally being in the range of Dad 55 Walleye and him 49 Walleye. He did get me in the Pike department, 7 to 5. (dad really doesn't like pike). All in all a great trip, Beautiful scenery and a mix of weather. The best part was no OPP to hassle us.

A few shots from the trip.

Hawk Air. A 1951 Otter, fitted with a turbo prop.

IMG_8640.jpg

Esnagi Lake on the way in.

IMG_8650.jpg

Jake with a 23" Eye

IMG_8658.jpg

Dripping with SLIME!

IMG_8659.jpg

Shore lunch every day consisted of; fresh Walleye, Potato's, and Baked Beans.

IMG_8684.jpg

The loons where singing us songs all night long.

IMG_8713.jpg

Jake with a 25" Eye

IMG_8717.jpg

The color of these fish, and the scenery was great.

IMG_8689.jpg

One last shot from the shore line below the lodge.

IMG_8726.jpg

Of course reality set in when we got back, with Hay to put up, a graduation party to get ready for, and work piling up. It was nice to spend a few days away from Cell phones, hustle and bustle with my son.

Ken.

Nice pics Ken. Nice fish.

I fished that area about 15 years ago. It is beautiful. We fished a couple of little lakes. One of the lakes was strictly brook trout. We always got our limit of nice brookies. Did you see any Moose?:)

Should go back again some day spent a lot of my summers up there as a kid mostly in the lake Nipagon area caught thousands of big fish up there. I can remember catching Perch the size of bass 10 to 15in all day long and the pike and walleye would yank your arm off when they hit.

My Dad went to that lake and stayed at the Esnagi Lodge last year at the same time. They took the train instead of the fly in option. He said next time they will do the fly in cause you get more time to fish. He went with his brothers and they plan on going back soon. I just hope they drag me along next time. Great Pics!!

Nice pics Ken. Nice fish.

I fished that area about 15 years ago. It is beautiful. We fished a couple of little lakes. One of the lakes was strictly brook trout. We always got our limit of nice brookies. Did you see any Moose?:)

No, the Moose hang out at the south end where the grass is.

Seeing those pictures have me yearning to go back.

For those that have never been, I would highly recommend a trip.

We flew over the lake that you had fished at. It looks intimidating, because of it's large size.

It is big, but we mainly fished the north end. One of the guys we where with has been there 20+ times, so it was ilke having a guide.

all i can say is you are one heck of a photografer ken. i go about ever other year and you got me wishing i could do it every year, it is in my opinion ,the most buetiful place in north america

Thanks terry, I have a lot invested in photography equipment.

The ride up there along highway 17 is awesome.

My Dad went to that lake and stayed at the Esnagi Lodge last year at the same time. They took the train instead of the fly in option. He said next time they will do the fly in cause you get more time to fish. He went with his brothers and they plan on going back soon. I just hope they drag me along next time. Great Pics!!

The lodge was built in 1945. It is a very nice/clean place.

A shot of the inside of the main dinning lodge

IMG_8731.jpg

The north half of the lake is all rock. A 1/4 oz jig and minnow worked through the rocks in 20' was best. Regular breaks would hold fish, but points held many more. We got fish along this break out where the gulls are.

IMG_8664.jpg

Break like this where no good (way to steep).

IMG_8667.jpg

Thanks to all.