large wave fishing

OK guys I need some help. Generally my fishing is fairly good. But when the wind kicks up and the waves get to be larger than say four feet my fishing falls way off. What do you guys do in large wave conditions to entice the bite.

when the waves hit 4ft-i troll with a nightcrawler-at the local bars. i dont feel the need to stay out in anything around 3ft or more anymore. most of my first mate trips were herein traverse where we rarely get that big of waves. but from my memory of the big pond fishing got better or at least stayed the same with larger waves. i would have to say its a speed issue if you are haveing a dramitic falloff of action.

What Grant said.

My past experience has been that the fish turn on in rough weather, especially the Kings. It seemed the rougher it got the better they like it. I think the big waves put a lot more action on the baits. It may even be a barometric pressure thing such as low pressure ahead of a storm front.

Longer leads on the diggers to tone down the action of the lures.

Bury the line in the board releases. If too rough don't run boards.

Tighten the releases on the divers to keep them from tripping. Crank the drags to keep them from surging. Be ready to get there fast and back off the drags on a hit.

Troll down wave if possible.

Speed management is the biggest key is rough water, those waves are pushing and pulling making the speed fluctuate. I would try drift socks, they also stable the boat down.

Do you use any special harness for the trolling bags or just whatever rope happens to be handy to run the bags from the cleats?

i have the same problem with my 19ft aluminum boat that i use on vaca to salmon fish.since i only have a week to get it done we fish in waves that i would not at home .i just turn and go with the waves and do the best we can. do need to try dragging some bags to reduce the boat surge like Matt said .just use regular rope tied to cleat will need one on each side to keep boat straight

Longer leads on the diggers to tone down the action of the lures.

I have better luck with shorter leads off the riggers when in rough water as it make the lures dart more erratically IMO.

I also shorten leads on my slide divers and found to have the same results as the riggers,just what has worked for me.

Some of my best fishing when I was younger was post blow with big rollers. But at 68 years young I usually stay in the slip if they are over 3' and choppy. If all we have is rollers, the Drift socks are a real plus. You can throttle up a little, and you will find your boat is a lot more stable. My boat is 12' wide and will handle big water but when it blows I get out the drift socks. I got mine from Cabelas, I use the smaller socks 1 off each side of the boat, I have found too that my auto pilot works a lot better with the socks out.

You guys call them drift socks? We always called them what the coast guard called them, required safety device for a charterboat too, sea anchors. They come in several choices nowadays and sizes too. Makes for a lot more stable and slower troll. Caution: there's a trick to running these with any boat. I recommend you start the experience by using them when it's calm, so you get used to them. You don't want them getting into your prop, under the boat, or tangled with lines/divers, using too old/lightweight rope, and make sure you have a collapsing line secured to firm cleats or railing. Lastly, when you know you feel uncomfortable with higher and higher waves, just go back to safety dockside. No fish is worth being capsized or sank.

I do best in rough conditions. my boat tends to troll slower because i have a 90horse so this year i am getting some drift socks so when its calm my boat will be trolling at 4mph i can add drft socks to get it down to 2.6-3.0sog.

My rule of thumb for bags has worked pretty good for me if using 2 get at least 1in per ft of boat. I have 2 30in bags on my 26ft and on a calm day can get to walleye speeds if I wanted to. On a 37ft I would look for 42 or 48in bags. Tie them off on a forward cleat so they put pressure on the bow and let them dig in mine run about a foot under water and fully forward of my fishing gear. To pull the we just hit neutral pull up the back line and toss them over the railing. When setting up in the morning I slow to about 5mph we put all the gear in and then drop the bags and we are down to about 2.4 to 2.5. Going fast helps set the coppers and long stuff out much faster then we toss out the brakes and are ready to fish.

Next time I talk to Dana I see what size his are. Boat fishes a lot bigger then 33.

Matt I have run 36inch bags off my 31 tiara but switch to 48 inch bags when waves are over 3 foot I would believe 48 inch bags would work best for all conditions on your boat.