saugatuck tourney 8-10and 11

Well were do I start... Saturday am we left the pier heads at 6:30 with the shot gun start from the Holland piers , we ran just south of port Sheldon and set lines in 110 fow or tried to any way , we got to rod number 8 when all of a sudden 4 rods go at the same time all with big angry kings ! we only had 3 of us on the boat so had to let one pull drags while we work on the others just as the first one gets close to the boat another rod takes off now we have 5 on :eek: all said and done we got 3 of the five because we had the 375 copper a high diver and a low diver get together , had to hand line the 375 copper with an 18 lb king on it . while all this is happening another one goes off .....:rolleyes: by the time we got done we had kings all over the floor and only 2 rods left in the water, after 20 minute of untangling things we started to set lines again before number nine went in we hit another fish got him in and finaly got all nine rods in :D we then picked away at em til around 12:30 ,pulled lines then this story gets crazy ........ we headed for the Holland pier heads got 50 foot from the end of the pier and the boat quits :eek: seemed to have over heated :confused: tourney control said we needed to get between the pier heads before we be towed sooooooo we grabed a canoe paddle and one of the nets and rowed into the channel , then got pulled into lake mac by a friend, then heres a shout out for fellow Holland stealheaders pier addiction who pulled me back to the marina were another steelheader shock therapy pulled me to my dock thanks guys :thumb:got to the weigh in on time weighed in our fish was in 2nd place on day one. was told we could not change boats for day two so headed to the boat got to checking things out and discovered I had run out of GAS OMG I was beside my self, this did not explain the over heating so we pulled the boat and put an impeller in took it for a test drive and bingo back in it.

Day two ran to the same spot set lines only had 3 early bites got one 23 lb king and a 3 lb king then lost two large kings , trolled the rest of the fishing period and picked up only two more trout .boat ran great by the way funny how fuel fixes that problem lol anyway went to the weigh in and finished 5 th place and got 14 th big fish, the biggest was 30.3 lbs all in all had a great weekend.

c360_2013-08-11-16-23-15.jpg

the king in the pic was 23 lbs. what worked for us was :

375 45 lb blood run copper with net minder meat rig

400 45 lb blood run copper with white slick meat rig

300 45 lb blood run copper with double trouble spoon

low wire diver back 160 with a white slick meat rig

low wire diver back 150 with a mt dew meat rig

see a pattern here ?

high diver with a white slick paddle with a pickle sunshine flie

high diver with a green e chip with a pickle sunshine flie

rigger down 60 with a double trouble moonshine spoon.