Port Sheldon 6/22/10 Night Trip

Well, I finally gout out again and I guess we remembered a little bit how to fish, but it seemed really slow.

Ended up with 7 nice fish somehow.

We started south out of the chanel and dropped lines in about 85fow. By the time we got everything set we were in about 100 which was kind of the plan. We were marking great fish all night between 85-130fow anywhere most of the fish coming in the 40-70 range, but quite honestly we marked fish from 9ft to bottom.

First two fish came on riggers, both with large 11" flashers (one white pearl and one yellow). The white pearl flasher was dragging a green and yellow fly and the yellow was dragging a cut da cheese (yellow) fly. Both of these fish were in the 10lb range.

We got a small laker on full core with a stingray coyote colored spoon.

One of the rookies was loving the 11lb steelhead on copper which came I think with the flounder pounder. That was a riot. 450 ft back and the thing is giving us a tail dance. It's the one all the way on the left in the picture. Gorgeous fish. I cried a little cutting it up. One of these days I will pull the trigger and mount of those big steelhead.

Another maybe 5 lb king on a dipsey set on 1.5 150 back with a 11"glow frog paddle and a yellow fly. You getting the idea. they were loving the yellow tonight.

Our largest fish came at the end when we were pulling lines. I had just handed the copper off to one of the guys and grabbed the full core to start reeling it in and it went. about a 15lb king on moonshine spoon. It's the one that is white with three black dots (MAN I can't even remember spoon names, I HAVE to get out on the pond more). This was a riot because it came in with more than just my hook. It had another trebble hook in it's jaw from a fly.

Anyway, the few others I can't recall. We lost at least 5, mostly on slow jumps to the rigger and people trying to set the hook on the dipsey:eek:. All in all it was a great night on the water. Thanks JimBobber for the radio chat. Glad you had a good night as well.

06-22-10_ps_night_trip.jpg

Edited by Just Hook'n
adding more

Good Job I can't wait for the weekend so I can get back out there. I guess after the dental work the one king did not learn a lesson. If you get a steelhead with a ludington melon and a dipsey you will know where it came from.

Katrina,

we typically use a combination on mags and stingray size spoons. However, when you see "moonshine" in my reports, these are all the mag size. Right now we are running mostly stringray size, with a few mags scattered in. I know this is not helpful, but I have not noticed a big difference in mag vs stingray size production lately.

We typically start moving to mags when we start running Jplugs in the fall.