pinch pads, rubber bands, and barrels..oh my!

I'm sure it’s been asked a million times, but… Downrigger releases

I went to a soft set i.e. 10 inches of wire connected directly off the ball with a snap on the loose end then a # 16 rubber band triple hitched to the fishing line and closed into the snap. This has worked for 2 colors of lead core behind the ball.

It’s cheap and I like it. I like that I can see shakers or even a strike and miss. (FISH ON…wait…it didn’t trip... was that bottom? Did we pick up some junk? Put the boat in neutral…FISH ON!!)

My question- what do you use for a downrigger release and why? Convenience? Price? Hook set?

I switched from Walkers to Blacks this year on advice from this site. I found them very simple and they actually released when the fish hit. I believe I have had more hookups because of the Blacks release. The Walkers were easy to setup as well, I just seemed to have a problem with them not releasing on a strike, even with the tension as low as I could get.

Blacks, on the advice from a charter caption. The advantage they have is; You can load the rod heavy with out increasing the tension it takes to release from a fish. We used to loose 1/3 of the fish when we used pincher pads. Now we rarely loose a fish from the rigger.

big jon band buster is the way for me

This is what I use also. I have been meaning to try the Chamberlain releases but have been to cheap/lazy to do it. On most days my hook-up ratio is excellent. I have had bad days though. But I think that has more to do with the fish than the releases.

The Blacks Releases work great. No false releases and you can really crank the rod down. Quick and easy to reset too. I might try the Chambelins as i guess theyre the cats meow. Works on the same prinicpals as the Blacks, but has both vertical and horizontal tension adjustments.

The Big Jon band buster is a very effective and inexpensive way of hooking up the bands I have used bands since the early 1980's and used to make my own hookups from 1/2" bar stock then use downrigger cable and a snap swivel to attach to the ball. My son still uses them but I have found the Band Buster to be a very effective way of hooking up the bands and they will hold just about any type of rig I throw off the rigger. I wrap the main line around 3 fingers about 3 times then pass the band thru the wraps then back thru itself and it is a solid hook up no slips. If 1 band doesn't hold just use 2 especially for big flashers or paddles and on anything more than 2 colors of lead off the rigger. I prefer #16 or 19 bands u can get them at any office supply and they are very inexpensive. Be sure to keep the bands out of the bilge they can mess up a bilge pump.

Supertramp

Boat name MC squared

Blacks only on Just Hook'n. Very easy to adjust tension. I used to run pads (light, medium and heavy) on my last boat. I have sent most of them swimming (after getting pissed off). I carry a few extra blacks releases now and do have the pads as back ups, but have not used them in a year at least.

Why not use both Walkers and Blacks?

I have Walkers set closest to my rigger weights used for straight spoons,

Then above the Walkers I have Blacks for big paddles/flashers applications in order to really clamp the line down from false releases from the paddles/flashers.

Also not against half hitching a rubber band and putting them on either if I notice im gettin into a few smaller/shaker fish.

My experience with Walkers with 20-30 pound test using paddles/flashers is they dont hold very good even when tightened down all the way. Even had a few occasions where the line would wrap around the release an extra time from the rotation of the flasher and not release at all. Any quick faster change in boat speed/tightened down to hard they will release.

With manual riggers it is a real pain, Tho im pretty sure not many of you use these.

When the fish are poppin left n right early morning/dusk its hard to beat the quick set up of the Walkers tho.

That said, I jus like the Blacks for my paddle/flashers and the ability to tighten them down to hold a lil heavier line.

Like em both use em both. :)

Hey Sea-Mac, how does the line go in those original Walkers? I bought a box of miscelaneous downrigger parts and got like 8 of those original Walker releases. Do you just twist the line like you do on a Blacks style and put it in there?

Hey Sea-Mac, how does the line go in those original Walkers? I bought a box of miscelaneous downrigger parts and got like 8 of those original Walker releases. Do you just twist the line like you do on a Blacks style and put it in there?

No twistin. Jus make a U shape and pull it into the end till it kinda snaps and gets past a small lock.

Adam: I used the walkers for many years and the proper way to attach is take the line to the lure and wrap 1 or 2 times around the release and pull it in be sure not to wrap the line to the rod or you won't release. The biggest problem is with shakers you never see them. That is why I went to rubber bands. Walker also makes a very good stacker system where the stacker release is set at a fixed distance from the ball usually 10 2 12 ft and it is a barrel that has the cable thru it and a small ferrule is crimped at the fixed distance on the cable and you can stack 2 rods on the rigger. I currently just use fixed or free sliders on the main line to get more baits in the water.

No twistin. Jus make a U shape and pull it into the end till it kinda snaps and gets past a small lock.

i use walkers also. this is the correct way to use them. We have been using them this way since the early 80s. if you wrap it 2 times it will not release properly. but if you do the U shape and pull it in they work great. when the release is set right you can pretty much pull anything, and have very positive hook sets. On my friends boat he uses Blacks/walkers. The cable terminator with the blacks release. They work great also. i am just lazy and dont like twisting the line. we have tried rubber bands and didnt like teh mess with them. Also melting rubber band in the cabin was a pita to clean up. Either of the walkers would be a great release.

Edited by Line Dancin
add info

I have tried a lot of the releases out there and ended up building my own setup using Blacks and Off Shore releases. I modify the blacks so it cannot release and attach a Off Shore pinch pad to it I can then switch from medium to heavy releases depending on what I am pulling but use meduim for most. I remove the factory snap from the Blacks and thread the down rigger cable thru it and secure it above the ball with a light crimp and a bead. The 10in of cable between the Blacks and the pinch pad provides enough movement to see shakers and light bites and everything is above the ball and the cable spins freely thru it so if the ball spins on the way down it has no effect. I have very fast riggers basicly Big Jon Brutes so had issues with down speed causing problems and tangleing the releases no issues theis year at all. My hook up rate is around 90% or better and no major training need to set line let it back stick it in the pinch pad and send it down then put tension on the rod and wait to reel in a fish.

I use the red Offshore heavy tension release 50' down or less, after that I use either the Big Jon Band Buster or the same Offshore pinch pad red release with a # 31 rubber band. If you use the pinch pad with a rubber band, make sure you put the band past the pads. You can load up the rod alot or very little based on the size of fish present. Works good for me!