Boat Insurance

Nailer

Ken, I use my auto insurance company. The biggest cost for me is that it is stored out of state and it is run in the great lakes. Both of those things add to the cost, minimal charges, but it still adds up. I haven't heard anything regarding Boat US insurance.

Bob

I have Boat US insurance I had Progressive for a year but got the Boat US policy for half what I paid progressive it includes towing and allows me to buy the policy based on a preset boat value. My Progressive policy was set a a max of 17k however Boat US allows me to insure it for a agreed value of 25k which includes all mounted equipment on the boat. Plus a 5k policy for fishing equipment 1000 for personal effects for a agreed value of 31k in the event of a total loss. This also includes towing and reimbursment of lost tournament fees. I had to have a survey filled out and sent in a bunch of pics of the boat. Total policy cost was under 400 a year and boat is completely insured while in storage as well. My progressive policy was nearly double that at 750 a year.

Make sure you are comparing oranges to oranges.

I have been with Progressive since I purchased my boat. I am going to check Boat US to see what their prices are for the same policy I have with Progressive.

If you trailer.

Make sure you get US Boat or coverage for towing the boat on land if your tow vehicle breaks down...most auto insurance covers towing for your truck but not your boat. Last thing you want is your boat and gear left on side of road...or a VERY expensive tow bill not coverd by insurance.

GTR

I insure mine threw my Auto insurrace agency. Now make sure that you look at your coverage. Because most boat insurance only covers the boat and trailer. I had to add coverage to mine for all the fishing equipment on it. It is still pretty reasonable. and even though my boat is an 1989 it Is covered for full replacement cost if the boat is totaled.

I checked out a lot of campanies last year and ended up going with Boat U.S. The on water and roadside towing are a great feature. Plus all of my gear is insured. When talking to other companies and other people I was worried about the amount of coverage and the ability to file a claim. I know some people who have added the boat to their homeowners insurance have been denied claims because the boat wasn't located at their home when something was stolen. My total coverage is for $27,000 and I pay about $300 for the year.

Before I switched from Progressive to Boat US I went over my policy line by line with Boat US I also took the Boat US Quote to my Insurance agent. To have him compare the difference he agreed he could not even come close to the same policy for anywhere near the same price. With my Progressive policy my trailer was not covered nor was much of my fishing gear as it had a 1000 dollar fishing equipment rider. With the Boat US policy all of the equipment mounted on the boat Down riggers rod holder Etc were added to the value of the boat and become part of the boat value. Plus the policy includes a 5000 fishing equipment coverage.

Hey Ken - I been with Allstate - no issues - they covered my lower end and some electronics a few years back.

I do keep a Boat US membership just for towing. did come in hand when the lower unit went out. 2 miles out between GH & Muskegon in 3-5 footers - could not get anyone to come back out for a tow. ended up having the tow boat out of Muskegon come tow us in. would have been a $500 bill, for only $50. I tried to get Meemic to cover the boat under my auto/homeowners - but Allstate gave me a better deal and it insured year around.

I agree Boat US pricing seems great, however at least on my current boat the AHV that they would offer me would not have come close to replacing the boat I have in the condition that it is in. They will require a survey,(as most do) however they do have a self survey form, but even if you get a SAMS accredited survey that has the state value of your vessel they would not go beyond the limit they first offered me. Thus I am continuing to shop for insurance.

Justin

I ran a quote through Boat US. I may be switching to them when my policy is due for renewal. ;)

I got my quote in the mail from Boat US today. I compared the two policies and will be sticking with progressive.

I agree Boat US pricing seems great, however at least on my current boat the AHV that they would offer me would not have come close to replacing the boat I have in the condition that it is in. They will require a survey,(as most do) however they do have a self survey form, but even if you get a SAMS accredited survey that has the state value of your vessel they would not go beyond the limit they first offered me. Thus I am continuing to shop for insurance.

Justin

Justin, Thanks, and :welcome:

I just got my insurance renewal. Thought I would get some more quotes. Already tried Progressive and they were more expensive and had higher deductibles. I think I'll give the Insurance Shop a call. Maybe call my auto/home guy too. Since I'm still not working I have plenty of time on my hands.