Trolling Bags.

The Tiara I bought has a Holly Fuel Injection System on it. The lowest the idle will go is 800 rpm's. With the standard 19 pitch prop the boat trolls too fast. In order to remedy this the previous owner put a trolling plate on, and switched to a 14 pitch prop. I don't like the thought of possibly over revving the engine at wot, or having to monkey with a trolling plate. My thought are to put a 19 pitch back on it, remove the plate and use 30" bags off each side. From the guys I talked with, they love using bags. The boat also has a Raytheon Auto Pilot on it, and I believe the bags will help it in rough seas.

How many of you use them? And how well do you like them?

I talked with Dick Boyajian? from Ludington, who makes and sells them for $80 a pare. This sounds like a reasonable way to solve the speeding issue.

I use 1 or two trolling bags for walleye fishing. I need to get below 1 MPH at times. They work very well, and do stbilize the boat in rough seas. I keep mine rigged all the time. They are draped into the boat just back of the windshield. The bags run about mid ship, and are forward of the fishing area. Formerly I would seldom deploy both bags, unless I had to get super slow. I now opt to run both for walleye fishing 100% of the time. I can run a few more RPMs for better control and less engine loading. I don't have to use them @ Salmon speeds, but I do if the seas are over 3 feet.:) I hope this helps.

I use 36" bags (one out each side) and they work great. I can't slow the boat down much either depending on the current and waves on the lake. Just watch it when you pull them up. I recommend having your lines clear before you pull them. If you pull them two slow (one before the other) you are liable to turn quickly if you don't watch it.

I got mine at D&R in Kzoo.

How many of you use them? And how well do you like them?

I talked with Dick Boyajian? from Ludington, who makes and sells them for $80 a pare. This sounds like a reasonable way to solve the speeding issue.

I have a pair of Dick's trolling bags and IMHO they way surpase the quality of the drift bags available at most stores like gander. I've used them on both my Islander and my 16 footer work great on both. Tie them off well forward and dont forget to tie of the trip cord and you'll almost forget they are there.

As Frank said you may have to give it more power to maintain speed, but that also helps with manuverability.

And No, I haven't noticed where they rub or scrape the side of the boats at all.

I am curious about using the bags in rough water, like Mike I have two motors and using 1 to troll is fine. But when the water gets to about 3' waves, the autopilot has trouble keeping up at trolling speed. Would the bags help to maintain a course with the autopilot, and how much difference do the bags really make in heavy water?

I am curious about using the bags in rough water, like Mike I have two motors and using 1 to troll is fine. But when the water gets to about 3' waves, the autopilot has trouble keeping up at trolling speed. Would the bags help to maintain a course with the autopilot, and how much difference do the bags really make in heavy water?

They do a very good job of holding the boat steady. Takes a lot of the side to side motion out, at least the quick jerky stuff.

I have a design to work with the rough water problem but honestly I did not touch it all season the fish were biting so I never finished them I need to make a few this winter and have some guys test them next season. my design will provide some speed control but was designed more as a stabilizer then a speed control.

I've used 2-26" bags for my 22' boat. Great speed control and stabilizer. I don't use them all the time but will even throw them in occasionally to slow the boat when fighting a big fish. Less messing with the throttle to get back to trolling speed. Another benefit for me with the higher RPMs is better engine oil pressure running at the slow speeds.

What about a Beaver Trol Ken? We had those on the Proline with twin 350's and we could slow it right down to nothing while keeping a high RPM. Theyre the cats pajamas man!...Pricy yes, but for the amount of fishing you do, well worth it IMO.

We have been running one 36" bag for the last two years and have found it to be great for slowing the boat to the speed we want, we dinged our prop on the last trip out this year(snug harbor,watch it out in the middle there) so we opted to increase the pitch from 19 to 21 so we will be running two bags next year,I thought that only running one bag would be hard to hold a strait course but that was never an issue unless you left the wheel unattended for a long period of time i will say that once it started to swing the further it went the faster it would turn.as far as adding stability in rough water i would have to agree with the rest of the guys it don't really stop the rolling so much as it slows it down. anyway two bags for us please!

When you have 2 bags it will decrease the rolling a lot. If you ever watch the big Trawlers they run birds which are large heavy wings on out riggers to stabilize the boat. My design is a variation of birds for smaller boats the idea is it widens the base of the boat this cuts down on the wind pushing you around as well.

What about a Beaver Trol Ken? We had those on the Proline with twin 350's and we could slow it right down to nothing while keeping a high RPM. Theyre the cats pajamas man!...Pricy yes, but for the amount of fishing you do, well worth it IMO.

It has a trolling plate now. What I like the sound of is the rocking and rolling stability, and helping the auto pilot out.

Thanks all.

Ken, I have a smaller boat 19.5' Starcraft and I use one bag in rough water to settle the boat down. It really does a good job. I have not noticed any marks on the side of the boat from the bag. I have been using it for about two years now.

http://www.amishoutfitters.com/catalog2.htm

I have used the set of 18" buggy bags on boats from 14' to 21' aluminum boat and they work great. Every time I bring these along and use them on someone elses boat they buy a set the next day, they work that good.

You might want to try a bigger bag like 22" or the beefy bags since you have a glass boat and they are not that much more money price wise. Personally I would get a pair of the 28" beefy bags, they will last forever.