Fish On Sports Rod Holder Trees

I have no idea who makes them, just saw them on Ebay. They look good atleast :rolleyes:, hard to tell how well made they are but they appear to be from Michigan.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160770662599?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm starting to think I might just go with a couple adjustable holders per side anyways, trees that size might be a little overkill on my smaller boat.

The auction I was looking at is actually for a "pair" of trees, but yes the Big Jons are VERY nice and they are a great deal as well at LOR

If it is a pair for that price i would be very very skeptical at how good they really are. You know the saying "you get what you pay for".

I see what you're saying about them. They look pretty good for the price.... Looking at the company they're out of interlochen, MI and have been in business for 11 years. Don't know anyone whose run them though but somebody has to be the first. If you do get them, let us all know.

Looks like they specialize more in radar arches and sport arches so you may get more people who know about those.

I would be skeptical of the base mount between the tree and the base. Looks like they are held on by two studded knobs, but the base itself only looks like it is a few inches tall. I would be afraid that you are going to get a lot of rock at the top of the tree because of looseness in the fit. Also, they don't show any close up views of how the actual holders adjust. This has to be a strong point or you are going to lose gear.

You do make some good points Ben. I'm going back and forth on whether or not to put trees or just adjustable holders on my boat. I have a smaller boat and room is at a premium. I'll never run more than 6 lines as there is never more than two people in the boat when on the big lake. Currently I only have two downriggers after my overhaul last summer. Here is a few pictures of the layout of what I'm working with...

100_3238.jpg

100_3258.jpg

shakedownboatcruise.jpg

These are the three options I am considering:

1. One racheting and one regular adjustable per side. I like the idea of not having to lean out the side of the boat to grab a dipsey rod for safety reasons that's why I'm leaning toward this setup. The only thing that worries me is getting my boards spread out if I decide to use both holders for this on a given day.

2. One racheting and one double tree per side. This would give me the most options but I don't know if it's necessary on my boat since I'll only be running 6 lines. This will allow me to fish multiple boards per side better I think on those days where the riggers are dead.

3. One triple tree per side. The thing I don't like about this is it means if I want to run a dipsey I'd have to put it in the bottom holder, which also means leaning out the side of the boat to get the rod.

I'm leaning toward option #1, but #2 is gaining speed. What do you guys think, small boat guys?

Option one, but putting them at least 12" apart would make it easier for the boards, and make sure your front rod holder isn't on so far up front that it's where the gunwale starts curving in to the bow. I did that once and while it was only about 2 inches I kept getting my lines crossed out to the boards.

Hmm well got a response from the Fish On guy. The base that the tree attaches to extends 5 inches into the main tube, how does this compare to other brands? I'm considering getting these and cutting them down to 2 holder trees and then attach the extra two holders to my downrigger board for my riggers which I was planning on getting holders for anyways.

Kevin, I have trees that were custom made and have a very tight fit that extend at least 8" into the main tube. I've never taken Bert's appart to see but it seems like they would be about the same. I've never used any of the others, so I can't speak for them. Did you get any details on how the rod holders adjust? If they seem like they will work, your idea of cutting them down and using the third for the riggers seems like a pretty good one.

I did ask how they adjust but I didn't get a response on that one so I just asked again. We'll see what he says I guess.

And 8" you say? I would think the 5" would work then after cutting them down just fine. I'll let you guys know what he says.

Kevin, I have trees that were custom made and have a very tight fit that extend at least 8" into the main tube. I've never taken Bert's appart to see but it seems like they would be about the same. I've never used any of the others, so I can't speak for them. Did you get any details on how the rod holders adjust? If they seem like they will work, your idea of cutting them down and using the third for the riggers seems like a pretty good one.

Got a response. They stated that the holders adjust a lot like Big Jons. "You pull them out and pick one of the positions, then slide it back in." I think I'm gonna pick these up, cut them down to 2 holders each and use the remaining two for my riggers. I'll let you guys know how they are when I receive them. Thanks for all your opinions on the matter.

Tight Lines!!!!

The Big Jon tube sits down into the base. I don't have the measurements here but I can guarantee you it isn't 8", more like 3". I will measure them tonight as a reference.

i got the big jon's 3 rod bird trees very poor construction. the mast fit very very very sloppy in the base. for the price of them i would think they would be a more rigid fit and the mast only goes barley 3 inches into the base.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey if your still looking for a economical answer to this question let me know I make custom sets of these with swivel bases and have them powder coated. I make them with a 4"x4" base that will fit Big Jon bases. Let me know and I can send you some pics.

Hey if your still looking for a economical answer to this question let me know I make custom sets of these with swivel bases and have them powder coated. I make them with a 4"x4" base that will fit Big Jon bases. Let me know and I can send you some pics.

pictures & price please.

Actually looking into making a set myself but I will need a welder, maybe we can work something out for that. I will let you know.