New to this site

Hello everyone,

I discovered this site through the links section of the new Detroit Area Steelheaders web site. Browsing this I was impressed and decided to join.

I was first introduced to salmon fishing in 1985 from a co worker. My first time out was a rainy and cold Fathers Day weekend out of Onekama. I had the time of my life catching small Coho's with some Lakers and Kings mixed in. I think the biggest fish was about 7 or 8 pounds but for someone who never caught anything bigger than 4 pound small mouth, I was hooked.

A growing family and small boat kept my fishing time to a minimum even after I bought my first and only salmon boat in 1987, I still only made it out 2 or 3 times a year. Speed frame to 2000 I joined the Detroit Area Steelheaders to learn more about salmon fishing. I started fishing a couple of tournaments a year and began to get more confident in my abilities as a salmon fisherman. Now that my boys a grown I have more time to fish. I now have a seasoned crew and we fish all the DAS tournaments for the last 3 years. I still have the same 1987 225 Sabre GL Crestliner that I bought new in 87. I have since up graded everything including new interior, new paint and repowered from a 165 four banger to a 4.3L 205 V6. I think I have the boat the way I want it now and enjoy my time on the water more than ever.

I look forward to learning more from the site, sharing my stories and hope to read many of yours. Good fishing to all this year!

Bob, Thanks for the introduction, and a warm welcome to you.:) You will like it here. Just holler if you need any help. I'm looking forward to reading your reports. BTW I love the Onekama Manistee area. I mainly fish the Saginaw Bay out of AuGres, but I do venture West once in awhile. :)

Welcome! Let us know if you need anything. Look forward to any insight you might have. What port(s) do you fish out of mainly? I fish mostly out of Muskegon but travel all over. Last year I fished from South Haven to Ludington, also Cedarville and Au Gres. Looking forward to spring coho in St. Joe.

Hello everyone,

I discovered this site through the links section of the new Detroit Area Steelheaders web site. Browsing this I was impressed and decided to join...................I look forward to learning more from the site, sharing my stories and hope to read many of yours. Good fishing to all this year!

Bob, best intro I have seen in a long time! BTW, welcome aboard! As you know we are all in this together. Help or a funny story is only a post away.

Hope to see you here often!:)

Wow, what a warm welcome, thanks you all.

I have a pretty heavy work schedule so most of fishing is geared around the DAS tournaments. So I fish out of many ports, most of which are on Lake Michigan's Eastern shore line. Though we do make it to Lake Huron once or twice a year, but since the salmon crash on Lake Huron we concentrate on the Lk MI ports mostly. My favorite port is Ludington as I have a cabin in the area and plan to retire their in another 15 years or so. I like the variety of ports, something new all the time, but it does get to be a challenge to be competitive. My crew and I usually arrive at the port on Thursday night, Fish all day Friday, fish the tournament on Saturday then we take it easy on Sunday. If the fishing and weather is good we will hit it for the full morning, if not we go to breakfast, load up the boat and head home. Unless of course we are fishing a two day tournament then we are out there before six giving it our all.

I started keeping a very detailed fish log last year and found a wealth of info in it once I started analyzing the data.

I can get a bit winded in my writing. I tend to talk more on these message boards than in person. If they get to long just tell me!

I will get some pics posted of the Toy and some fun catches.

Yes, we start South and work our way North. This year we start on the Huron side at Lexington the last weekend in April then head to St Joe on the Lake Michigan side the first weekend in May. Couple of weeks later we go to Grand Haven for a two day event. Here is the schedule:

Lexington 4/24/2010

St Joseph 5/1/2010

Grand Haven 5/22/2010

Grand Haven 5/23/2010

Pentwater 6/26/2010

Manistee 7/10/2010

Ludington Ladies Day 8/7/2010

Ludington II 8/14/2010

Team Doubles 8/15/2010

Manistee 8/28/2010

Onekama 9/11/2010

If you would like more info on our tournaments check out the DAS website:http://www.detroitsteelheaders.org/

It would be awesome to get some new members with boats to participate in these events. We used to get 20 some odd boats now we are doing well if we get 12 or so. The economy and gas prices had caused some members to keep their boats dry docked. The boat captain needs to be a member which cost $25.00 per year. Tournaments cost $25.00 per or $125.00 annually which is a good deal is you plan to fish more than five events during the year. I do not mean make this sound like a sales pitch, it is just meant to be informational.

Again, thanks for the kind words everyone.