Lead Core Rod Identification

There are lots of different ways to identify your different lead core rods. Some people make tags and write what they are on the tag and put the tags on the reels. I am an electrician by trade, and use the resister color code, and colored electrical tapes on my different lead core rods.

Black = 0

Brown = 1

Red = 2

Orange = 3

Yellow = 4

Green = 5

Blue = 6

violet = 7

gray = 8

white = 9

When I am pulling the rods out of the cabin to set up the boat for fishing, the colored tape is very visable without having to twist a rod around to see what number is written on a reel.

I put the electical tape just above the rod handle. In this image, you can see the orange tape on the rod just above the handle. Its a 3 color lead core.

Hunter_396590.jpg

If a rod is more than a full core, it will have a brown strip of tape and another strip of tape. If I have a 15 color core, it will have a brown strip of tape and a green strip of tape.

You do not have to use the color code I use, and you can get by with just a few different colors of tape. ;)

I love it.

Started doing this on my boat after fishing with Mike this year.

Works awesome.

I don't have the same code (and don't have nearly all the rods to take up all the colors), but I use red, green and blue. Copper lines are obvious as I only have 300'.

Hey Mike, I think I remember that trip with your son in PJ's reeling in a fish. AWESOME.

Hey Mike' date=' I think I remember that trip with your son in PJ's reeling in a fish. AWESOME.[/quote']

I am waiting for the day when I get to wake up in the cabin, come on deck in my pj's, and reel in a fish. :thumb:

Using the resistor color code is good idea for a geek electrician.:lol:

Now I know how GLF is catching all his fish. He is applying the ohms law to his fishing gear, and electrocuting the fish.:lol:

The pics of the cabin boys reeling in fish in their PJs are priceless.

I just "borrowed" the label maker at work and typed up what they are. 7 color, full core, etc.. Then I put it in the same spot as Mike. The only problem with Mike's idea is some of us are too dumb to figure it out and always have to ask what is what. With my way, you just have to be able to read. Gotta make it as simple as possible for us poor, uneducated factory workers. Mine have lasted for 3+ years.

I just "borrowed" the label maker at work and typed up what they are. 7 color, full core, etc.. Then I put it in the same spot as Mike. The only problem with Mike's idea is some of us are too dumb to figure it out and always have to ask what is what. With my way, you just have to be able to read. Gotta make it as simple as possible for us poor, uneducated factory workers. Mine have lasted for 3+ years.

I work in a factory! I learned the resistor color code when I was in the USN. :P

To me, its easy to glance at the rod handle, see what color it is, and know what it is. The tape does not wear off, and if for some reason I change the number of colors on the rod, all I have to do is peel a piece of tape and put another one on.

You do not have to use the resistor color codes. Anyone can use any color they wish. All you have to do is create a color chart with what they are on your boat. After a few trips out you will know which is which. ;)

Someone can shuffle all of my rods around, and I still know which rods have what core on it.

That's a great idea Mike. I use a small sticker on the underside of the reel with the number written on it. Works great till Dad doesn't have his glasses on ;-). I'll have to talk to him about a color system. Thanks for the idea!

Some times we fish too early for me to think that hard:lol:, i have not had a problem seeing white backing with black lettering

All my core setups are differant rod and reel combonations so the second I get the rod I know what is on it by which reel is on what rod now one of these days I will have more matched gear and need a marking system. But for now it is pretty obvious and most who fish with me figure it out pretty quick I also don't have all that many setups 2 full core 2 5 color 2 3 color and 2 2 color I use dive bombs to add for the missing colors in rod setups as a 5 color with a 2 oz dive bomb is about the same as a 7 color.

The way to remember Mike color code is:

0- Bad

1- Beer

2- Rots

3- Our

4- Young

5-Guts

6-But

7-Vodka

8-Goes

9-Well

I have spent most my life in the electronics industry and the resister color code is stuck in my head as well....Good tip Mike

The way to remember Mike color code is:

0- Bad

1- Beer

2- Rots

3- Our

4- Young

5-Guts

6-But

7-Vodka

8-Goes

9-Well

I have spent most my life in the electronics industry and the resister color code is stuck in my head as well....Good tip Mike

The way they taught us in B.E.E.(basic electricity and electronics) when I was in the USN was:

Bad

Boys

Rape

Our

Young

Girls

But

Violet

Gives

Willingly

I know....seems odd, but its easy to remember.

• 1 month later...
The way they taught us in B.E.E.(basic electricity and electronics) when I was in the USN was:

Bad

Boys

Rape

Our

Young

Girls

But

Violet

Gives

Willingly

I know....seems odd, but its easy to remember.

Old post I know, but I am bored.

Don't forget the tolerances..

Bad

Boys

Rape

Our

Young

Girls

But

Violet

Gives

Willingly

Get ............. Gold (5%)

Some ......... Silver (10%)

Now ......... No color (20%)

They make a silver sharpie now and I wrote the core number on the bottom of the reel.I really like the tape idea to see the number from the top.We could put a piece of tape (any color)around the pole and write the number on the tape on the top , side or bottom.Thanks Mike

They make a silver sharpie now and I wrote the core number on the bottom of the reel.I really like the tape idea to see the number from the top.We could put a piece of tape (any color)around the pole and write the number on the tape on the top , side or bottom.Thanks Mike

I do not write numbers on the tape. I use a different color of tape to identify each different core length. ie...red tape is two color core rods, orange tape is three color core rods. With different colored tape, you can identify what core rod it is from 5 feet away.....unless you are color blind.

If for some reason you have a tangle and have to shorten the core, all you have to do is put a different color of tape on it.

• 3 months later...

I just bought three rolls of colored vinyl electric tape, since I tape the reel seat retention/tightening nut after mounting my reels, I accomplish the dual task of preventing the nut from loosening by running several wraps on the thread portion of the reel seat as well as identifying my core rods. I use a permanent magic marker to record the core number on the tape and use yellow for 2-3 colors, red for 5-8 and blue for 10 or more so I have some visual reference as I am grabbing rods during set-up or for an inexperienced crew. This way during set-up in the early morning or if I am trying to direct from the helm sation I can just give instructions by tape color instead of debating the merits of placing a 6 or 8 color off that particular inline board or on that clip if we are running everythinf off Otter Boats.

Black vinyl on the downrigger rods.

Sorry GLF, your near-identical post wasn't there when I started typing this info.

Edited by Cork Dust
GLF just posted the same information