What oil do you use?

I stick with conventional oils well racing blends of them Castrol 20w 50 racing or Valvoline 20w 50 racing oil. I have been running those 2 oils for close to 40 year in V8 engines and never had a oil related failure. It keeps good oil psi when hot and is designed to be abused.

Edited by 1 MAINIAC
sp

Not quite sure why but my owners manual says not to use full synthetic oils in my engine. It's a 6.2L Mercruiser engine. I run full synthetic in my trucks (Mobil 1), but they recommend Mercruiser brand oil. (I know, I know, they're always going to say there oil is the best, but WTH).

I tried full synthetic last year. It got dirty just as fast as regular oil. Trolling is a lot tougher on oils than cruising. When the oil starts to darken, change it. Mine gets changed 2 or 3 times a year. I do a lot of slow trolling. I like Castrol.

Mobil 1, 10w30. Looks new every year when i change it. Just a note. Alot of guys will change oil based on number of hours of runtime on engine. When your boat sits 5 to 6 months out of a year that oil still breaks down just sitting. Change it every season or more reguardless of runtime.