30#copper vs 10 color

i was talking to andy(2unreel)tonight and we got on the subject of copper and my couple new copper rods and wether or not it was 45 # and i said i dont run the 30 cus it sinks the same as lead core...then i got to thinking...with the pain in the butt of lead poking thru the sheath and a couple other little complaints i have about it...i wonder if i should switch to 30# and ditch the core...i really think there is something to wire and harmonics...3 more pounds of strength(i use 27#core)havent checked into diameter diffs....what do you guys think...other than price which i realise is important....you think copper would be a better choice...i suppose lure action with the different reactions of the two would be a consideration also

To be honest I have never caught a keeper on my copper in going on 3 years of pulling them. Perhaps I should run them more but when the don't catch fish for me they don't get out as often one reason is I fish shorthanded a lot so being limited on how many rods I can run I stick to what is catching fish. I am not in much of a hurry to put my Diver rods away when they pretty much always catch fish. I had very few trips that I had more than 6 rods out last year and when the water rolled over did most of my fishing inside of 60 ft. Very seldom will I not be running a couple of riggers and at least a couple of divers add in a 5 color and a full core and that is my go to spread for the wife and me. Since to date the copper has not been very good gets harder and harder to pull stuff I know works to try something I have little luck with.

Here is some info for you on 45 lb copper

75 ft equals a half core in sink rate

150 ft equals a full core

300 equals a two core.

the 30 lb dosen't sink as much and will be shallower than the above. Atomic and optitackle have charts on depth on the websites. As far as copper catching fish.. well i only have a two color that i am using now. all my other leadcore has been taken off the boat. I produce more fish with copper and divers than riggers. if i don't have enough people on the boat to run all the rods thaN a rigger doesnt get set. My best two are the 300 and 75 foot. 300 for kings and lakers and the 75 for steelhead. the 150 i use mostly when the fish are to shallow for the 300 (about 60 to 80 ft depth). Another thing not just the lead breaking through the nylon. but the nylon does rot after a few years and if you test it you will see it is breaking easier year after year. One last point is that it has been proven that leadcore will hang in a thermocline. so if you are trying to target a depth the lead may not get there if there is a sharp thermocline. I switched three years ago to copper exclusivly and would never go back to core.

edit:

also you have half the distance to real in a fish than core.

here is opti's web site:

http://www.optitackle.com/copperssline.shtml

this is what i use. it has a little more twist, not really enough to make a difference in sink rate, but it is a lot easier to tie an albright on.

here is a chart on another site that really shows depth. i dont want to copy paste as i dont have permission to do that:

http://www.educatedangler.com/forums?func=view&catid=11&id=16593#19593

Edited by Line Dancin
add info

I fish mostly out of St Joe. Since I added copper to my boat ( 300' 30lb/150' 30lb) I have found that it put more fish in the boat than Leadcore.

Most of last year I ran the two coppers off one side of the boat and a full and half core off the other. The copper out produced the core. So this year I have added more copper and only have a two and three color left on the boat.

I have had very good success running copper. I run 300' of 45lb and 150' of 45lb and 300' of 30lb. I've gone to running copper as my deeper rods with 5 or 2 color leadcores as my outside rods as my first setup. The full cores worked well for me, but for the last two years the copper just produced better with the deeper presentations.

For lure action, I don't really think the copper would be different from the leadcore. I think the leader and swivel have the largest effect on the lure action. I would think it'd affect the amount of rise and fall of the lure during turns and in currents due to the line diameter difference, but not really the actual action of the lure.

my 2cents,

I just started running copper this year.

Running 300' of 45#, one on each side, then full core, then either a 5 or 3 color outside of that. Last week Sat night, all that caught fish was the copper (and one on the rigger). pretty happy with it so far. Debating getting a 450 setup for later this summer.

However, I think you can also get the same depth with a full core and 4 oz dive bomb if you don't like the extra length (like a 15 color).

But, then you have more to mess with.

It's just what you like.

I do like the way the lead spools better.

I won a 300ft 30# copper setup this last winter and I will be running it in place of one of my lead rods Sat morn. A few weeks ago J1Musser and Fishwhisperer brought some copper along on my boat and I have to say that is was pretty hot.

After fishing with Fishwhisper last year i got hooked on copper.:grin: Over the winter i hooked up a 200 and 300' of 45# copper. I have had pretty good luck on it so far. Both rods have taken many fish. I just rigged up a 150' of 45# last night and hope to use in the AM. Last time out we did better on the leadcore but it was a 6 and 8 color with copper being deeper on the 200 and 300. 200 took the biggest 2 fish last 2 times out(an 11 fish and 15 fish day). Leadcore seems to have its place as well and im rolling with a mix. Why switch when u can just buy more rods!!!:D I just got a rigger this year so i fish mostly my cores and copper along with dipsy of course. Just my .02

I like your thought pattern here Don. I only have one 250' 45 pound copper rig. It work very good. I like the thought of switching the full core to a 150 copper just to save all that reeling.

• 2 weeks later...