reels for wire divers

I prefer the Penn 875LC and the Shimano Tekota 600LC. One is no longer made and the other is way more than your $100 budget. Therefore, I would recommend the Okuma Convector 30D or 45D Levelwind Reels. These are the best reels for the price.

I agree with Hitman on his recomendations. His suggestion is my setup exactly. I wish the Penn 875s were still available. I use the 875s for my Power Pro divers, and the Shimano 600lc for the wire. One note on the 875 is that it has a nylon line guide that I suppose will wear over time with wire, but that isn't an issue unless you can find a used one anyway. As Hitman suggest they aren't made anymore. Another option could be the Diawa gl47lc WITH a drag update. With wire, the drag is the important component. Personally ALL of my reels now have drag updates from Tuna Tom. (Ludington,MI) They are the silkiest drags available, and for under $20, you can take a lesser expensive reel and make it a very good reel. For $100, that would be my suggestion. Don't cut corners with your drag on wire.

Daniel

I have my wire divers set up with Okuma Catalina's with line counters. The line counter on the Catalina is exclusive to Cabela's. So if you want a Catalina with a line counter, you have to purchase it from them. Oh yeah...the price tag on them last year was $99.99. I actually got mine on sale last year for $79.99. It has gone up to $139.99 this year. I knew I should have purchased more last year :(

I used the Okuma Convectors with no problems. Upgraded to the Shimano Tekota 600lc's and after upgrades by the manufacturer have to say they work just fine. The Convectors actually seem to be have a smoother drag overall, but the Tekota's just feel so good in my hands.....

I'm sure that there are other quality reels that would work just fine out there. Just be sure they have a smooth drag and a linecounter.

Billy,

I don't want you be feel left out, I also run the sg47lc's. I am replacing 4 of my reels with these this year. The Tekotas are too rich for my blood at this time and the 47's have never left me stranded. Good Luck and Happy New Year.

Rich