fixed slider questions

sjk984

this year I am going to give fixed sliders a try instaed of my usual stackers. So I can run 2 more coppers.

I am going to be using the HD off shore clips but What do I use to attach slider to the main line?

How long of a leader can I use?

Does the slider ever tangle around the main line when Fighting a fish on the main line?

Thanks Steve

this year I am going to give fixed sliders a try instaed of my usual stackers. So I can run 2 more coppers.

I am going to be using the HD off shore clips but What do I use to attach slider to the main line?

How long of a leader can I use?

Does the slider ever tangle around the main line when Fighting a fish on the main line?

Thanks Steve

I've used Elberta clippers in the past and had no complaints.

I'm certain that lead length can be varied but most tournaments limit it at 6 feet.

Slider wrapping around the main line was never a problem fighting fish. Just a pain to unwrap.

I run the red clip on slider clips by dreamweaver. I believe stinger sells a black one. I run 6 ft because that's the max In tourneys. As far as tangles. Fish long enough and everything will happen at one time or another but they are well worth running. The worst for me is when you get a fish on the mainline and find that your slider has spiraled around the mainline.

rubber bands have always worked for me but most of the time it hasnt been worth it and i just run free sliders. 6-7' leads here as well

I too use the rubber band. Quick , easy, effective and inexpensive.

The simplest and cheapest fixed slider is a rubber band. I half hitch the rubber band to the main line and then run the snap through the loose end of the band and around the main line. This holds the slider in place and when a fish hits provides just enough resistance to get a good hookset and keep resistance as it slides down to the main line's lure.

I prefer to use the ones that have the red or black wax like stuff witth a slit cut, but they dont ever last long enough for me to be cost effecient. Have alberta clippers and they work but are bigger so more drag on the line an i think some fish might see them due to their size and be dettered when/if they see that thing 6ft. or less in front of a lure... Does anybody know what kind or type of wax stuff (it is a wax right?) is used on the swivels that they make those with and where to get some to make your own fixed slider swivels?

rubber bands have always worked for me but most of the time it hasnt been worth it and i just run free sliders. 6-7' leads here as well

I use both free sliders and fixed sliders, it depends upon how deep I am fishing and what presentations my main line has on it. I do not use sliders on Paddles and flies Spin Doctor and fly or dodger and fly rigs, the slider can get hung in the attractor and get cut off. I have personal experience with this. Large king hit free slider on a tin can dodger and Spin n glow laker rig slid down and the tin can got around the slider leader and cut her loose rite befor we could net the King. I run rod length leaders for my sliders most of the time. My down rigger rods ar 8'6" Okuma DR rated rods and work really well. Most of the time my fixed sliders are attached with a snap and fixes with a rubber band.

When I run scooter clips...

Rigger set at 80

fixed slider will be set at 20 feet up

Rigger down 100 fix slider will be 10 to 15 feet up

fish hits you still reel like heck to catch up without ever taking the rod out of the holder.

Another interesting thing about them is running them up high when the steelhead are around. There is nothing better then running 4 blue dolphin Super slims on the rigger 30 and 40 down with fixed sliders. On a clear sunny day you can see the scooter spoon flashing below the boat and they catch fish.

I run about a 6 foot piece of mono. Swivels on both ends with an offshore clip in the middle. Just put the mono through the hole in the offshore release so it would slide around. Put down your rigger with main bait about 10 to 20 feet, then the stacked line swivel goes on your main line, pinch the offshore release on the mainline, toss your other swivel with spoon in the drink and lower the hole rig down to set depth.

Any offshroe except the red or16s will do. When the fish hits it will get some pressure from the offshore making a decent hookset. The offshore pops free and then slides down to your main bait.

Yes if you get a fish on the main bait, the slide will sometimes wrap around the main line.

Just take a second to spin it free and either unclip the offshore and take it off, or unhook the offshore and let it slide down the main line. Its not as much of a mess as you might think. We have done it with spoons on top and flashers below and its no big deal.

It will suprise you when you see a rod shade then nothing for a couple seconds. Remember that top line has to slide down 20 feet, release from the cannonball then slide back 40 feet or whatever you stretch behind the ball was to your main lure. A very easy way to get more lures in the spread without having 2 more rods, holders and gear.

Here is some of the best documentation I have found on fixed sliders. Great info and pictorial. http://www.team-fishigan.com/FT/fixed_slid/fx.htm

Edited by BlueCollarOutdoors
added link

I'm comfortable with a short 4' lead, 10-15' above, free slider. We always used rubber bands on fixed sliders, inexpensive and easy to use. You can fix/free slide any length you want above the ball, but you better be ready for the long catch up time and possible loss of fish if you do go above 20'. The most fun like Mainiac said is catching two fish at one time on one rod, now that's a challenge, & fun imho.

I remember a time when we had 2 youngish couples aboard as clients fishing, and we caught 14 fish that day, just ducky. But, the climax came when both gals caught 2 fish, and yes, it was a double-bubble, when both those 2 rods just happen to connect with 2 fish on each rod. A total of 4 of the 14 total fish, wow. Thanks to free sliders on both rods. BOY, those gals were excited, as both me and my mate were. Never had that before nor since. Payoff was those gals landed all 4 fish, and gave me and the mate a quick double-bubble "flasher" in thanks. Those menfolk also laughed in jolly and said nothing in return. We also got a Ben Franklin each at the end when cleaning the fish, nice, and quite memorable imho. Just an old fisherman remembering some of those unforgettable days of past, excuse my risque post.

I remember a time when we had 2 youngish couples aboard as clients fishing, and we caught 14 fish that day, just ducky. But, the climax came when both gals caught 2 fish, and yes, it was a double-bubble, when both those 2 rods just happen to connect with 2 fish on each rod. A total of 4 of the 14 total fish, wow. Thanks to free sliders on both rods. BOY, those gals were excited, as both me and my mate were. Never had that before nor since. Payoff was those gals landed all 4 fish, and gave me and the mate a quick double-bubble "flasher" in thanks. Those menfolk also laughed in jolly and said nothing in return. We also got a Ben Franklin each at the end when cleaning the fish, nice, and quite memorable imho. Just an old fisherman remembering some of those unforgettable days of past, excuse my risque post.

And then what happened?