Well as usual the weatherman had no idea what would happen. Hit the end of the channel to find a very sloppy 3 to 5 ft wave set hit the throttles and headed out till the wife complained a 26ft boat is not a airplane and we should slow down and stay in the water. Set up in 60 ft on a SW troll and was into fish we were 2 for 5 before we got 6 lines set and hit 80ft where it slowed to a stop. by the time we hit 90 ft I had broken one of my riggers and our second fish was a magic trick and some skilled netting by Jay. When the fish got to the back of the boat it went nuts and my wife tried to pull it back away from the Port rigger as Jay netted it the spoon came out and we lost it sort of then Jay yells he sees it and nets it but he cant get it in the boat it is hooked to the rigger cable. So I let Brian or Dee drive and climb back there and sort out the magic trick part. Got a hold of the fish and unhooked him and tossed him in the box now just got to untangle the mess. here's the magic trick when my wife pulled the fish to the net the lure hit the rigger cable which opened the split ring to the hook and the spoon popped off leaving the split ring on the rigger cable with the fish hooked to it. Never seen anything like that happen in 40 years on Lake MI. We wasted some time re running where we caught the first 2 fish and headed out SW again. Picked up a couple more around 110ft but was getting close to time to pull lines so made a choice to run back thru the bait ball out front instead of running any further out heard Nick and Catfish getting fish out deep but by then we were committed to the troll and lived with the decision for 5th place. Lake was laying down nicely when we ran in I still had a good day blooper broken gear and all flatter water would have been nice. Nice meeting everyone today looking forward to Mikes event next weekend.

Great to see you again Jim and crew. Nice job out there. Wish I could have witnessed you "flying".

Well I was in the Coast Guard from 76 to 80 so going full throttle in the slop is nothing new to me the wife on the other hand prefers a more mellow ride. We were barely up on plane but the look on my wifes face was clear she was not impressed the second or 3rd time we were airborn had it not been for Jay and Brian being with us she would have made me turn back in this morning. She did however hang in there pretty good and did not complain. She also got a nice fish on her personal lure even though she ripped the hook off on the rigger so while a bigger box would have been nice it was still a good day. For those who were out there this morning I have been full throttle in a 17ft Whaler on SAR calls in worse weather with no padding on the seats. That is a bone jarring ride ran all the way from Manistee to Portage lake in 4 to 6 ft waves with the throttle pinned one time we were so beat up we had the guys bring the truck and trailer up to get us neither of us wanted to ride back in the boat. Worst of all it was a test call our CO knew we would be out on harbor patrol so had a call come in for a sinking boat in Portage lake since he was at Portage lake he did not know we had decided to use the Whaler for patrol and to get water samples. He was expecting to see the big boat coming into the channel not 2 nuts going full out in a Whaler.