Canada and DWI

Nailer

I am going to Canada this June with a group of guys. One of the guys in the group has a DWI on his record. I have herd that Canada dose not let persons that have a Dwi on there record across the boarder. Dose anyone know how much they check for this at the border, or should we just tell him not to even try?

Went at least 10 years ago and heard it was a concern

Probably more than 10 meat was kinda new here and we took a chance on getting herring and a drunk driver across. Made it but could have been turned away

I think for the most part what u hear g

Has some truth to it

i personally have been found inadmisable and have also made it through its definitely a gamble. long drive for nothing when u get turned down. that being said u can take steps as mentioned to clear it up. one dwi not to hard to get cleaned up last i heard i believe it was $200 non refundable fee to apply for pardon from canada

I've heard the same thing about a dwi. so I just haven't ever tried. my dwi was back in 69. it wasn't if I was drunk or not we got stopped and had beer in the car. the dispatcher told the officers to bring us in. I was driving and charged with dwi. then on Monday morning went to court and the judge found me guilty. no tests were done to see if I was drunk. and no lawyer. it was the cops word against mine and I lost. so I have a dwi on my record from 46 yrs ago.

Lot's of stuff on the net about this Ken. application for rehabilitation takes 6-12 months so no way he can get it done this year. If it was 1 occurance and over 10 years ago he will be deemed rehabilitated and have no issues. If less than 10 years ago it's a coin toss. Whatever he does he must not try to lie about it but he doesn't have to declare it if not asked. He must answer yes if they ask him if he's ever committed a felony because it's considered a felony in Canada. There has recently been a a directive to allow inadmissible people a one time entry for a fee of $200. But it's not a guarantee. Run into an asshole and he could just get booted.

I have been across all of the Ontario/Mi crossings and once at International falls. I've never been asked. 2 times I've had firearms to declare/register and no issues came of it. This was at the Soo. I've found the officers up there to be the best. My favorite thing is the last thing the US customs agents up there say is "Welcome Home"

If he has 2 convictions or any other felony charge then I would say forget it

Lot's of stuff on the net about this Ken. application for rehabilitation takes 6-12 months so no way he can get it done this year. If it was 1 occurance and over 10 years ago he will be deemed rehabilitated and have no issues. If less than 10 years ago it's a coin toss. Whatever he does he must not try to lie about it but he doesn't have to declare it if not asked. He must answer yes if they ask him if he's ever committed a felony because it's considered a felony in Canada. There has recently been a a directive to allow inadmissible people a one time entry for a fee of $200. But it's not a guarantee. Run into an asshole and he could just get booted.

I have been across all of the Ontario/Mi crossings and once at International falls. I've never been asked. 2 times I've had firearms to declare/register and no issues came of it. This was at the Soo. I've found the officers up there to be the best. My favorite thing is the last thing the US customs agents up there say is "Welcome Home"

If he has 2 convictions or any other felony charge then I would say forget it

I have been up there 3 of the last 4 years, and can not recall ever being asked if anyone was a felon.

The trip up there (fly in trip) is not about the fish. It's simply gorgeous country, and a great time with friends.

Nailor

I had one four years ago. They have lightened up on this a bit. Where are you going to enter Canada? I would strongly suggest that your friend does not drive. Dont bring any alcohol. If you are going to drink buy it at the LCBO. Dont bring any vegetables with you or bait etc. Be prepared though however if they do turn you back. Have a back up plan. How long ago was your friends DUI?

Jigginjack

I agree that the person with the DWI must not drive his own vehicle. They run the plate before you get to the window. As a previous drug and alcohol counselor I can tell you they can and will pull the one guy with the DWI out of the car and let the others through. Not the way I would want to start a vacation.