outdive issue

I have a Volvo penta aq 225e outdrive. Today running in after fishing all day right at the channel the boat made a dragging type sound (we were in deep enough water 12 ft) then it started making a thunk sound. as I slowed down it was slower speed up and the tempo increased. put it in neutral and then reverse no thunk sound even when I goosed it in reverse. You could also feel the thunk in the back of the boat. when I was at the slowest idle (500 rpm) and in gear it wasn't noticeable. as soon as I went from 500 to 800 rpms it would start again. Anyone have any ideas?

sound like when my outdrive imploded a couple years back. One of the gears went and took out the bearings and shaft with it. Got me back to Holland from Laketown park but probably wouldn't have made it much farther.

Sounds familiar. I am dropping $3000 on my Volvo Penta 290 outdrive as we speak. Upper bearings and shaft, seals, bushings, etc....:mad: All part of boat ownership though.

Make sure they took apart and washed out the bottom

When the top breaks gravity takes metal pieces to the bottom and causes problems not rite away but soon enough

• 2 weeks later...

Well someone was looking out for me. come to find out it was the zink ring behind the prop. the bolts came loose and the dragging thunking was the bolt hitting the inside the prop. It snapped on bolt head off and buggered up the threads but Johnsons was able to tap the holes again and put new bolts in lock tited them and test ran it this morning. Headed up in an hour to pick it up and back to Erie saturday morning.