Gas $1.85

GLF

You see the thing is here we as a nation caused this. Oil prices didn't just come down, supply and demand changed. All the stupid little things we shared over the internet about ways to drive the prices down work. We just have to keep pretending as a nation prices are 4.00 a gallon though so they stay that way!!!MY .02!

World wide factors have the largest influences on energy costs. First, profit margins have been under intense scrutiny in regards to the energy industry in general. That scrutiny is expected to pick up this year not only in the US, but also abroad. Second, pipelines, drilling platforms, and offshore rigs are seeing good uptime and reliability numbers right now. Third, refineries are seeing good production numbers due to relaxed emissive/air quality standards in the US and from having good upstream supply abroad. These three things have had the largest impact on recent gasoline prices.

Supply and demand plays into it, but generally speaking, the energy demand has steadily increased. It has not decreased and is not expected to decrease. On top of that, word wide transportation demand is not very large in comparison to our total energy needs. In the U.S., only about 1/5 of all energy consumption comes from transportation(industrial, general public, and other).

For more data, see this link http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/aer/txt/stb0201a.xls

To have a true impact on the energy demand, we need to not only turn to autos, but also light bulbs, PCs, heating and cooling, industrial, and energy transportation.

These three things have had the largest impact on recent gasoline prices. 

No offence but the 4th, in Rochester NY, is the Monroe County Gas Dealers Assoc. Tonight's fill-up in Rochester NY at $2.49/gal for 89 Oct'n. 87 Oct'n was $2.39/gal. They sure raise it a lot faster than they drop it.:mad:

These three things have had the largest impact on recent gasoline prices. 

No offence but the 4th, in Rochester NY, is the Monroe County Gas Dealers Assoc. Tonight's fill-up in Rochester NY at $2.49/gal for 89 Oct'n. 87 Oct'n was $2.39/gal. They sure raise it a lot faster than they drop it.:mad:

There's zero doubt in my mind that the impulse on the the part of energy companies AND their distributors to raise prices is nearly instantaneous. The time to re-adjust those prices downwards takes much longer. Unfortunately, that won't change until the DOE/Congress tackles this issue in a responsible manner.

To end on a positive note, high energy prices give other forms of energy a very good chance to be profitable. Once that happens, the open market competition will once again help the consumer to keep energy prices reasonable. It's very frustrating now in the short term, but in the long term things will change for the better.

I'd encourage anybody to do some exploring on the the DOE website. It's a pretty good resource to see what available technologies are being developed. Some of us are out there working on long term solutions. If you're interested in more detailed info, then let me know.

http://www.energy.gov/

Oh, and the Bears are in the superbowl!!!! :D

Noticed the prices as I drove home tonight. Down to $2.37/gal for the cheap stuff. (87 oct'n). :rolleyes: This is the lowest in my area the last few years.

I appreciate that someone is trying to develop alternate energy fuels and I really hope somebody makes a break-thru pretty soon however cost will always be the determining factor. Not only the cost of the fuel but the cost of a new car, boat engine, lawn mower, stove, hot water heater, furnace, etc that will run on the stuff.

On the good news front, they're going to start building a couple ethanol plants around here in the next few months. Gov't will then require it be added. The bad news - Gas Co's going to raise prices to add it just as they raised prices to not put the lead in.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres the deal. Iran drove prices back down. How? They are hell bent right now on making Nuclear Weapons and taking over the Mid-East through intimidation and thretening their neighbors (and us) with using them. Their only weakness is their fragil economy, kept together souly by oil and oil prices. All their greedy emorant neighbors know this and do not want to become an Iranian satelite state or go down that nuclear road as a safe guard agains't this threat. By jointly keeping the price per barrel of oil down, their neighbors keep the economic pressure on Iran. And the growing elements in Iran that want change, not to be a nuclear power and want a democratic government, get a helping hand through the economic strife that lower prices create in that country. And by the way Sen'or Chaves in Venazuela is playing the same game. We are all sitting on a three legged chair right now in these uncertain times. Isolationism and retreat seems to be the catchword in this new congress we (well most of us) just voted in. Keep aware of what your reps are saying and doing, and the influences it may be having on yours and your childrens lives. Let these little demagods know through E-mails or other means how you really feel about things from time to time or give up your right to complain about anything.

I don't know the details of Iran's policital motives, but I am pretty good with the energy and oil cost. I don't believe the country of Iran can influence fuel costs by 30%.

Of the top ten oil producing countries, only three are from the middle east. In order, they are Saudi Arabia(17% of daily production), Iran(6.6% of daily production), and the United Arab Emirates(4.3%). Only four are from OPEC; the above 3 and Venezuela(3.5%). Of total oil production, all of the middle east accounts for roughly 35-40% of total oil production. For comparison, that is about the same as Russia, Mexico, and The United States combined.

OPEC's aggreement is to not price combat within countries of the organization. However, it doesn't protect them from price competition from other vendors, such at Russia, Mexico, Canada, China, and The United States. It is also highly unlikely Iran would have the ability to significantly influence pricing since they only produce less than 7% of the worlds daily production. OPEC could make up 7% in production.

I completely agree with the point about keeping tabs on our elected officials. The power in a democracy comes from the voters.

For more energy/oil information, type department of energy into a search engine. To keep tabs on your elected officials, visit their websites. Most of them have links to their legislation and voting history.

Wow, talking about politics/oil/energy! It must be the offseason!

Sen'or Chaves in Venazuela is playing the same game.

This is the same guy who's hell bent on taking down the US by himself.

Also, the same country that owns Citgo gas stations thus, every time you drive by a Citgo, notice there's nobody there.......

Hey, remember EXXON. The company that claimed Katrina was going to put it out of business. 39.what BILLION $ profit in 2006? Highest of any corporation in history. That's profit not sales. :mad:

BTW still at 2.37 for the "cheap" stuff.

• 4 weeks later...