Big Jon Riggers

SD800

Guys,I need your input.

We are currently working on some new things here at Big Jon Sports.

One of those things is a lighted counter, we are in the development stages and need to know how you guys would like the light to work.

1. Light comes on when you turn on the rigger switch, in the up or down position the light comes on. Down fall to this is if you just want to check depth in the dark you must turn the rigger on in the up or down mode to see what depth you are at

2.A seperate switch, like a toggle switch that turns the light on with out turning on the rigger, down fall to the seperate toggle is it could be left after daylight.

3.A seperate push button switch that would be located so it could be easily pushed while the rigger is being set. To check depth you would just push the switch and the light would come on, no starting the rigger or chance of it being left on.

Let know what you think, John, SD800

What about using a relay contact in the design for a set of hold contacts. Use that in conjunction with a momentary switch for the light. When you run the rigger up or down, you push(and release) a button and the light comes on, and stays on until the down rigger is turned off. The hold contacts of the relay keep the light on.

If you went up to a rigger and you wanted to see what depth it was set at, you push the button, the light comes on. When you release it, it goes off.

Push button that could be used with the same hand as the one used to send the rigger down. One hand operation! Then you could as mentioned just push the button to check depth, this would be a handy tool!

I second this idea. I think this would be great.

• 1 year later...

i think a led light that works off a small watch type battery would surfice,there brite and you turn it off and on when needed,i know batteries cost $$$ but the led lights i use to glow spoons seem to last forever,,,also id like to see a auto reset button on the counters like on line counter reels,,sometimes it seem like i could have another rigger set up and down fishing but im still spinning the little wheel on the counter to reset counter to 0,,one more thing hope they will adapt to the older big jons as well,,tight lines

Voice activation....

Seriously, I think with the on off switch would be fine. It won't hurt us to move the cannon ball up or down 1' to see. I don't know about anyone else but I typically remember where I put my riggers at. Great Idea for the light nop matter what you decide though.

I would like to have it on when the ball is going down or coming up and also have a momentary switch when the ball is not moving up or down so the position can be checked w/o moving the ball.

Agreed. Have both number 1 and 3.

Excellent idea by the way

Push button that could be used with the same hand as the one used to send the rigger down. One hand operation! Then you could as mentioned just push the button to check depth, this would be a handy tool!

Rick

I also think this is a great idea, Some of us can't remember where we set them.

Good idea. I would like to see it on when the rigger is going up or down, along with a push button checker. Maybe I can deep six my cap light.:) Even with 2 55 W halogen lights shining down on the fishing area the counters are impossible to see now.

I know this paragraph doesn't pertain to your question, but how about a big dial like on the old Penns. These big numbers for old eyes could even glow in the dark. Heck I wouldn't even need my reading glasses to see them in broad daylight. The counter numbers on a downrigger should definitely be larger than the numbers we have on a LC reel. JMHO

I just thought of one more suggestion. I'm sure there are fisherman that are legally blind or close to it. A braille system could also be added to the LARGE DIAL. I know BigJon is a company that cares. The publicity alone would be worth the change.

I would prefer a toggle switch to turn on and off the light. There would have to be a clearly marked on/off in raised ink on the rigger. I think that long term the toggles are more trouble free than the push buttons. The LED is an interesting idea, but invariably the battery would always go out when you have the president of the company on board for the first time.

While we're at it, how about a memory??

I have issues with 'membering what i did just a few moments ago, I can see myself now, just had a trip, nice fish, pull lines to fight, get fish in, go to reset, ummmmmm..... where were these set at??

4_6_2v.gif