Grand Haven Shore action

Hello fish folks!

I am relocating to Grand Haven/ Holland Michigan area from Pittsburgh, PA. Fishing here in Pitt area is fairly weak consisting of Locks and Dams on the three rivers or small state stock lakes. I am absolutely excited to be in Western Michigan on the big lake and with so many rivers, but it will be some time before I get in a boat type situation.

Where should I fish from shore this spring?

1. Do the Walleye and White Bass run well into the tribs?

2. Is there spring run Salmon/ Steelhead?

3. How is the Smallmouth fishing (Big Lake and rivers)?

I appreciate y'all's input!

Welcome to GLF Adam! Right now any beach or pier can be holding fish. Browns, coho and steelhead should all be around one port or the other. The Grand River has a very good steelhead run in the spring that should be going good right now. There are also a lot of walleye planted up and down the Grand that brings fish, but make sure the season is open. I can't help you on white bass, never fished for them. There are smallmouth all over the Grand and other rivers. The Muskegon to the north is a very good river for all species and if you head farther north you hit some very good steelhead rivers like the PM, Big Man and others. Heading south the K-zoo and especially St. Joe have lots of fish and access areas. As summer heats up there should be plenty of opportunities to jump on board with some members and hit the big lake. With gas prices as high as they are people are always looking for someone to help split the costs of big lake fishing. Feel free to post in the Looking for a Ride/Rider section and I'm sure you'll get some takers. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Welcome Adam, in the coming weeks into May, there can be some good pier action for walleyes as dusk and dark. Pier fishing can be hit or miss, their one day and gone the next. Depends on conditions on Lake Mich and how winds and currents move the water around. Do some looking on the various forums and you can pick up some good info. Some of the best pier action for salmon and trout can be in February and March. Thing are running late this year and there is probably a few good weeks. The early season is a spawn bite so without it, it will be tough. Now that the water is warming, spoons,crawlers and other baits start working better. Don't wait to long. The pier shore fishing really tapers off when nearshore waters warm up. You can get some smallmouth and perch into summers in the piers. There is good fishing for whitefish off the piers in November into winter. You can get some spawn visiting the Holland fish cleaning station in August when the boat guys are cleaning fish if you ask nicely. Load up and freeze it and you have it for next year. Use the salmon spawn to catch some steelhead in the winter and use their spawn. Steelhead spawn is the best in the spring.

Adam, say active on the board as the fishing season gets under way. There are a lot of guys in the area that often need riders.

Welcome to the site.

Walleye season is closed inshore rite now, but is open on Lake Michigan. Post spawn fish can be caught off the pier later this month.

Well now that is a welcoming response. I rekon I found the right forum to commune with. Honestly just the thought of seein a laker again...makes get all jelly.

My tip of the day is to research the White Bass run in Sandusky river near Freemont Ohio. I never got to fish the north country alot having grown up in Cincinnati, but that is a fond memmory of what the lake runs can do. Walleye and Morone all day long fast as you can cast a twin popeye rig. My cup runeth over yet again.

Obliged to you gentlemen all. Looking forward to soring some jaws with you!

Welcome aboard! The Kalmazoo river has good small mouth fishing from what I have heard but I was always chasing other fish. In the fall the white fish also run and can be caught from the piers on spawn or small baits. I tried it last year for the first time and even landed a few and would recommend giving it a try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

0 None

Spring time brown trout fishing.

I have fished out of grand haven and port sheldon all my life, but i have never broke the ice and taregted some browns and lake trout before in the early spring. if you guys could answer my questions i would greatly appreciate it.

1: how deep do you troll by the shore?

2: what color, size, and kind of floating raplas are you best producers?

3: what lb test mono do you use?

4: what temperature do the browns start fire?

5: what size boards do you use.

6: do you get a mixed bag of steelhead and lakers too?

I know i am a green horn but i would gladly apperciate your feed back.

• 2 months later...

0 None

Spring time brown trout fishing.

I have fished out of grand haven and port sheldon all my life, but i have never broke the ice and taregted some browns and lake trout before in the early spring. if you guys could answer my questions i would greatly appreciate it.

1: how deep do you troll by the shore?

on the beach to 20'

2: what color, size, and kind of floating raplas are you best producers?

I use Jointed up to size 11 or thin fish

Colors vary from day to day, but natural colors are a good starting point

3: what lb test mono do you use?

4: what temperature do the browns start fire?

As soon as you can get out

5: what size boards do you use.

I use yellow birds

6: do you get a mixed bag of steelhead and lakers too?

Yes

I know i am a green horn but i would gladly apperciate your feed back.

no problem