Alaska Experience

My brother and I just returned from a two week trip. Spent two days fishing out of Homer with Capt. Pete. Caught my first hali's and grey cod. Could not get any of the "feeder" salmon to go, sounded like we were early. We pulled meat rigs like here on Lake Michigan, but only three DR lines. I was looking for the divers and planers, ready to get some more lines in the water. :biggrin: :reeling: Capt. Pete was great at getting us immersed in local culture and history, very enjoyable. That is an amazing harbor, I've never seen so many Hewes Craft boats. The Homer harbor accomodates 900 commercial, charter, and sport fish boats. There is a 25' tide so everything adjusts.

js640_DSC00893.jpg

js640_DSC00885.jpg

js640_DSC00863.jpg

js640_DSC00877.jpg

We had a visitor in their brand new Bay Weld. We took a tour of Bay Weld while in Homer. They sure build some stud aluminum boats.

js640_DSC00860.jpg

Then it was off to Chignik Lake for a brown bear hunt. Mother nature was brutal with snow still all the way to shoreline and our transporation water ways frozen. Natives said it was the latest spring in memory.

js640_DSC00954.jpg

js640_DSC00951.jpg

My brother shot a beautiful 8' sow and I got it done the last day with this 9' boar. The 2.5 hour stalk up snow slide and across face was a bit nerve racking for this flatlander. I kept telling myself, "one step at a time."

js640_DSC00969.jpg

This was my second trip to AK and I can't wait to return again. We had an awesome experience and met many great people.

Thanks for your comments! You nailed it on the head UBDSLO1, "unless you've been there". My two trips have exposed me to what I truly feal is our last frontier, a tremendous resource and seasoned folks who live there. It has also developed a sorrow in me for what is happening. The remoteness is expensive in many ways. Products arrive by plane and barage to extensive remote towns, villages, camps, etc. These products and equipment have great value but once they are no longer useful they are discarded, often "just outside the door". Without value the accumulating electronics, boats, motors, ATV's, trucks, nets, 55 gal drums, snowmobiles, etc. will continue. It is too expensive to fly/ship it out, again zero value. My guide works for a company supplying the north slope oil fields. He said the tundra is littered with 55 gal. drums. There is a strict hands off policy, no one wants to take ownership of what is there as toxic materials must be shipped to WA! It truly saddens my heart, we must all be aware. Happy Memorial Day and may the fish fill your boats! :thumb: