Flasher Fly setup?

Trying to get my flasher/flies to go with no luck. Question: Probably not the problem but do you tie fly leader directly to flasher or tie on a swivel and snap on to flasher? What is best knot to tie with heavy leader line?

I ran them on riggers and dipsey on Saturday morning with no luck. My leader from dipsey to flasher is around 10' and from flasher to fly is whatever length the BW flies come with.

Anyway, thanks in advance. Much apprecaited. This big lake fishing is addicting.

Dave

I have had the best success with Spin Doctors and about 23" leader length. I have also done well on 11" paddles and I like to run a longer lead with those. I would experiment with the length a little. The palomar knot will work just fine for tying in a snap or swivel just be sure to wet it.

Good luck!

The spin doctor/paddle bite has been tough all year, not really sure why.We had one stretch earlier that the paddle bite was great,but it shut off just as fast as it started. I fished Thur-Sun this past week, we were 17-24 on thur, 20-28 on friday, and had 10 fish both days of the Muskegon tourney. We found two spinnies that were working, and trust me we tried a lot of them. The paddle bite was almost non-existent. Most of our fish were on spoons.

Trying to get my flasher/flies to go with no luck. Question: Probably not the problem but do you tie fly leader directly to flasher or tie on a swivel and snap on to flasher? What is best knot to tie with heavy leader line?

I ran them on riggers and dipsey on Saturday morning with no luck. My leader from dipsey to flasher is around 10' and from flasher to fly is whatever length the BW flies come with.

Anyway, thanks in advance. Much apprecaited. This big lake fishing is addicting.

Dave

It sure is addicting, try running longer leads to your flies I usually run about 4X the length of the paddle or flasher, ie 8" flasher 24" lead, 11" flasher 44 to 48" lead. Learned that at a GLF seminar 2 years ago and tried it it works. U can always shorten the leader if your arent getting strikes.

Dave

Dave fill out you profile to include your location.

Here in West Mi. ports, the flasher bite is just not going strong yet for some reason. Everyone I talk with is having the same troubles.

Your set up sounds good.

We do;

21 ob 8" SD

26" on 8" paddles

36-40" on 11" paddles.

Edited by Nailer

Dave

Dave, just tie an overhand loop knot, just like the first knot you ever learned as a kid. Put a bead on your line then tie you diver directly to the main fishing line,( unless a wire diver then put a swivel on so you can take it off.) Reel it all the way to the tip attach your snubber to the diver and tie on a lead a little shorter than the rod length. A 10 ft leader is to long to land fish effectively. Just remember a diver is supossed to be loud and aggresive, that's what you want. Not a stealth setup by any means. Tie your flies 24 inches from the tip of the loop to the head of the fly. Troll 1.8-2.0 and you'll catch fish all day long. Don't change that speed or leader length and I guarantee you will catch more fish than if you did.

Thanks for the info. So you put a loop at the end of the fly leader with no swivel? Then loop directly thru the large swivel on the SD/flasher? I will shorten the lead from dipsey to flasher and slow down to around 2.0. Probably going to fast as well.

Thanks again. More questions to follow. Updating profile now.

Dave

I use this knot on all of my flies http://www.netknots.com/html/perfection_loop.html

You can either make it big enough so that you poke it through the ring on the swivel and then put the swivel back through the loop. Otherwise Dream Weaver makes swivels that have a special end on them where there is a wire that makes a loop and then wraps back around itself. You put the loop on the end and then go around until it is in the loop on the wire (hard to describe, see picture below). It makes it really easy to change out flies with different colors/leader lengths and to take them off for storage (I never wrap the fly around the flasher because I don't like the leader to get all kinked)

img_3854.jpg

2.5 or 3 times the flasher is a good starting point for flasher leads, use heavy line 40 to 60 lb test, or better yet flourocarbon. We talk light line and stealth all the time but you need that whip to get the fly moving.

2.2 is the sweetspot on my boat, but 2.5 is pretty typical for most. If its not working change it a bit. Also changed your direction of troll if your not getting bit.

2.5 or 3 times the flasher is a good starting point for flasher leads, use heavy line 40 to 60 lb test, or better yet flourocarbon. We talk light line and stealth all the time but you need that whip to get the fly moving.

2.2 is the sweetspot on my boat, but 2.5 is pretty typical for most. If its not working change it a bit. Also changed your direction of troll if your not getting bit.

2.2 SOG or at the ball?

I know everyone can't afford a speed and temp unit, but gps speed means nothing. If you want to do well with flasher flies you have to know your exact speed. For example this last wekend if my speed at the ball wasn't 2.0 it meant the difference of only a few fish versus non stop action.

Ben' date=' that is a coooool knot. Thanks for the link.

I typically just tie the standard loop in a loop (if that makes sense).

Short version - I tie them so you can switch flies easily and quickly.[/quote']

Yea, I learned it about 7 years ago from Glenn Black (owns Great Lakes Fly Fishing in Rockford). He used it to make a loop for quickly changing leaders on the end of my line. I've used if ever since then and have never had one come loose on me.