AM/FM Antenna....

My favorite past time while fishing in the evenings is to listen to the baseball game on the radio. Last year I installed a radio on the boat, and used a $15 plastic flexible antenna. To say the least reception was not stellar, and once a few miles off shore I usually could not even get the game. I was curious if anyone has had any luck with the 8' fiberglass one from shakespear. I have a old Loran antenna I could take off, and replace it with the AM/FM one but I didn't want to spend the $$ on a 8' antenna if it wasn't going to gain me anything. (No pun intended). I have also seen a splitter forsale that you place inline on your VHF antenna to be able to use that for AM/FM. My concern for this was playing with my #1 saftey equipment on the boat. Any experince would be great... Thanks Guys

Joel

Shakespeare used to make a special am/fm antenna that was 3' long fiberglass and sold for about $35. I have one mounted on my windshield and it's worked fine for years now. Depending on how far out from land you go, the reception/gain will get weaker the farther out sometimes. When I'm out of Ludington real deep, I usually get the Cubs and/or Brewers games from Wisconsin. But, I'd rather be getting the Tigers. West Marine should have these yet, or Boat US, perhaps even Bass Pro. Go TIGERS!

#5421-XT is a little giant 4' FB Shakespeare am/fm antenna for $54 @ marineboatsupplies.com. Personally, I prefer a separate antenna so as not to interfere with the VHF which could be your only lifeline in an emergency call for help. But I don't know your boat setup, this can be mounted to hard tops, t-tops, and windshields alike. Comes with 10' of cable too I believe. Or just google shakespeare am/fm antennas for a big selection.

Thanks for the input guys... Here is what I was looking at..http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=16044&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10103&subdeptNum=10278&classNum=10282

The boat is a 21' Crestliner Sabre soft top... I have the setup for the other antenna allready on the boat, but I want to use whatever will have the best chance for pulling stations. My thought was anything is better than the 12" flexible one I have now, but I didn't want to drop $65 on something that wouldn't be an improvement.

The splitter would be an improvement over the 12 inch one you have now, but its personal preference, I like it because it didn't take up any more space, had no effect on my VHF. If you already have the ratchet base ready maybe thats the way to go for you.

Tom

• 5 months later...