Wire Dipsey question

PofC

I received a couple Okuma convector CV30D Reels that I am going to put Blood Run wire on. To save money sould I use a backer? if so how much and what? or would it be best to just dig a little deeper in the wallet and spool with all wire?? is there a depth chart for wire and a luhr jensen #1 dipsey? Thanks for your help!

I think most people just spool on 1000' on a CV30D. I know that's what I did. First time out, hook a 1lb ball to it and run it all the way out. Somewhere there is a wire chart. I have one taped to the lid of one of my boxes. -- Bud

seems like it has already been answered, but i will put in a third for just 1000' of Blood Run Wire. Fits very nice on a 30 series Okuma reel.

after my issues i have had i will pass on some knowledge i learned from Okuma and Tuna Tom's. the wire may not cinch up on the spool. I have sent in a couple 30 series Catalinas for drag work only to find out the wire was not gripping on the spool. i thought the drag was not working when really the wire was spinning on the spool.

Tuna Toms added pins to the spool so that is no longer an issue for me. other suggestions i was given was to add a real short section of mono backing just so there is something to grab on the spool. another solution i have heard of but can not comment on the success is to wrap the spool with electrical tape prior to spooling up your wire.

I have always just spooled up 1000' of wire instead of using backer since I don't like to have splices in my lines if it all possible. If you wanted to save some money by spiting it up don't see a problem with that either. I would probably use a small barrel swivel to make the splice if you wanted to go that rout.

Like Josh said you will need to have something on the spool for the wire to grab. I have used electrical tape on my wire rods and have not had a problem with them yet, but if I were going to redo it I would probably put a short segment of mono on the bottom of the spool instead of tape so I can fill the spool better. I think this is also a good idea to do with braid.

Mike, I have a wire diver chart on the boat, if I get there this weekend I will post it for you.

Thanks all for the tip on the wire spinning on the reel ,that would be a real surprise out on the water.Is wire depth much different than braid?

A 124 walker diver on wire will dive very close to %50 of your line out.

Wire is a great way to go. It dives deeper, and the sea fleas don't stick to it nearly as bad as braid.

Both will catch fish.

I never had any luck on braid when someone convinced me how great it was.

I really only run a 6 line spread generally 2 riggers, 2 dipseys and 2 high lines.

I run leadcore, and then mono on everything else. I dont own any copper or a wire dipsey. How much do you think the whole setup should cost me, and is it a hot enough setup that I need to pick one up?

Copper is a PAIN in the a$$, but catches fish later in the day after the hot bite when nothing else seems to. Hardly worth the trouble unless you are running tourneys because it isn't even that much fun yanking all that heavy line with a fish on. Wire divers are a must in my book though!!

What type of connectors do you guys use to connect your wire together at the spool and end swivel? Just a couple of wire crimps? I have everything I need for my new wire setups but the connectors have left me scratching my head.

I never had any luck on braid when someone convinced me how great it was.

I really only run a 6 line spread generally 2 riggers, 2 dipseys and 2 high lines.

I run leadcore, and then mono on everything else. I dont own any copper or a wire dipsey. How much do you think the whole setup should cost me, and is it a hot enough setup that I need to pick one up?

Copper is really nice to have when the kings are really deep but for the most part you can add weight to your leadcore setups to get them down deeper. Wire dipsies are a must have for me. I started running wire a couple years ago and they have been my best presentation. I try to run them down just below my riggers with a FF combo. Both copper and wire setups are pretty expensive, it doesn't take long to reach a couple hundred bucks with these setups.

What type of connectors do you guys use to connect your wire together at the spool and end swivel? Just a couple of wire crimps? I have everything I need for my new wire setups but the connectors have left me scratching my head.

For the connection to the spool I would attach a segment of mono first to keep the wire from spinning on the spool and then tie an albright knot for the mono to wire connection. For the connection to the swivel give this knot a try.

i used to use a brass thimble, crimps, tubing, bead for my wire connection. real pain when you have to re-rig on the water or in a hurry. Since switching to the softer blood run wire, i just tie an over hand knot with a bead in front of it. i don't think i could have tied a knot in the old wire i was using.