Wire Dipsey question

PofC

Both of my rods were retied on the water so I am missing the tubing so I need to remember to redo them before the season starts. On the boat repairs don't get anything but a good knot and a bead it also allows you to see which one broke if you do it with the tubing at home. The only bad thing I can think of about the tubing is it would cover up a knot problem that you might see if the tubing was not there. It does however make a nice clean appearance on the end of the line.

What is a good rod to use for a wire setup?

I have another? I have been reading a lot of post about wire setups a would really like to have a few but I don't want to go broke settng them up. So my question is what would be the difference using.a Ma45dx or a cv30d for a wire setup?

Jballer, don't go with a cheaper reel. The Magda in my opinion doesn't have the quality to run alot of wire. Go with a Sealine 47 or a "newer" model convector with the drop drag. Best option for the budget minded are these 2 IMO.

I am not too convinced on roller rods anymore. i have been using Daiwa Interline rods with absolutely zero wear on them in years of use. Tony from Eyefull Custom Rods has some great information on new material for standard eyes that with withstand the abuse of wire.

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20872

The only advantage to a roller rod anymore is reduced drag. I am also no longer sure the reduced drag is worth the possible drawbacks found in most of the budget roller rods. I for one cringe every time a rookie has one of mine in their hands because a mistake is going to cost me any where from 40 to 100 bucks plus a fish. Roller rods require you fish them correctly and takes a different mindset to catch fish with them. They have nearly zero room for error every wonder why many charter boats only let you hold the rod and reel the fish in. They don't want to lose their gear so you sit and monkey drag the fish in. Don't get me wrong I love my roller rods but there have been lots of people fishing on my boat that have never seen them because I will not put them out I will grab the braid rods and live with it.