Looking to Buy some J Plugs

I second the Silver Horde or Ace Hi over the Luhr Jensen J Plug, the action is better and over the years they have outproduced the J Plug for me. You have to watch but Gander Mtn runs specials on them and D&R Sports in Kalamazoo has run some promos on them in the past they are always competitive. You might also look on e-bay for a deal.

Just a thought,since luhr jensen was bought by Rapala the plugs are made over seas now and the quality has changed alot. Silver horde is still made in the US and is becoming alot more popular. So hold onto those old J plugs that catch fish because the new ones aren't as good.

Personally i prefer J-plugs and i tend to run alot of 3s. They seem to hook better to me but the trick there is to tie them direct or use a mcmahon snap so they can slide up the line. The ones i use are usally pretty doctored up mostly with permanent markers.

But i fish with a guy and all he uses in hordes and i do have alot that do well. I second the fact that they are made in america and he is a hell of a nice guy too. But they have a tendancy to break alot and dont hold there finish as well... ive never cracked a j plug unless you count the one that got caught in the belt of the engine. I have a pile of about 10-15 ace hi's that are busted and hold water basically junk and at 10$ a pop its and expensive pile of junk too. While the J-plugs that have been riding around with me since the 70s look good and still catch fish if i have the guts to put them out cause i dont want to lose them.

J-plugs dont have the color selection they once did and the new patterns are quite gaudy to me fisherman catchers not fish catchers.

Hordes have about ne thing you'd ever want.

When the hordes showed back up again in shops...yah we had em in the 80s when J's were god. I really made an effort to fish the same pattern side by side and the J's seemed to win in my mind at least hit for hit. I mentioned this above but it seems the hoards do better in open water and the J's better in shallow... maybe its just a brain fart of mine?

This year the old pearl j was hot later in the season, but in deep water a blue lightning horde was hard to beat. Like always let the fish tell u wats best.

I think alot of people gravitate to the horde (especially charter boats) because the hooks are attached. Just to lazy to deal with a 2 part system i quess.

Theres one more added bonas to using a J-plug for us frugal folks. If you tie it direct or use the swivel i specified and a fish breaks you off...............hey you can just turn around and go pick it up, though this is more difficult then it use to be runnin 2 300 coppers 2 450 coppers and a 600 down the shoot. But I have to say out of my two 5gallon buckets full of J-plugs pretty close to half have been found floating or on the beach and have been recycled on the Seawolf.

I have ace hi and have yet to catch a fish on them.

Old school j plugs... I found a box full from when I was growing up fishing with my father and grand father... they are going in a shadow box. They are pretty beat up... but I can remember catching fish on all of them;)

The memory is worth more then the money spent buying new;)