Pentwater Sunday 29th

We spent the night and went out Sunday am with BIL Bruce, and his friend Bill.

We ran 4 riggers 2 divers and 2 coppers.

We left the dock in the 6:00 am range and set up in the same 85fow. We started the morning with a quick double on both the copper sets. 1 was a 350 with a MS Blue flounder, and the other was a 250 with a MS Double trouble.

The rest of the morning was hit and miss. we only had 4 fish when we turned around at the point (Little Sable light house), we did manage to loose a few during that time also. Once we made the turn North the 350 copper with the Blue Splatter Ace Hi fires, at the same time the white paddle on the diver goes. We land the diver fish, reset it and it fires again. Further up the run the same copper rig fires 2 more times. We ended the day at 11 am going 9 for 16+? I lost count.

Jordon with a darkie.

IMG_9777.jpg

Bill with the 350 copper and Ace Hi.

IMG_9773.jpg

The end result. The pic only has 8 fish because I was nice enough to release a big one after it was in the boat (oops),

IMG_9779.jpg

Edited by Nailer

Nice job Ken; It looks like you was in front of the Juniper in the 1st picture, looks like around 90-100ft. you got me pumped now we'll be there on friday 8-3-10 for the weekend, thanks.

Grant, don't pay attention to the water temp. It was warm top to bottom. We fished the lower 20'. The predawn bit was mostly Moonshine spoons that glow blue, and the diver/flasher/fly. When the sun got higher, the Ace Hi blue plugs (blue splatter or blue lightning) where going. We targeted 65-80 feet down, in 80-95 fow. White paddle with the Oceania fly was great also.

The entire stretch from 2 miles South of port to past the dunes held fish. Both South and North trolls produced fish. Don't let the boat traffic push you out too deep. There where guys getting fish in 150-200, but they where smaller fish.

Good luck.

Nice job Ken, did you mark much bait or find any in stomach contents?

Mike, I was not driving ether boat, so I wasn't paying attention to the graph. (both days I fished it was not on my boat), nor did I check there contents. There where fish there, so that's all that matters. 80-90 fow fishing from 65-85 down. A lot of funny current up there. when we started, the current was ripping offshore, but at the dunes it was coming from the north. We kept a good heavy bend in the diver rods to judge our speed.

Fwiw, Saturday the divers where going very good. I was running a high and low (both targeting 70-80 feet down). The inside diver had a white paddle, and the out had a Mountain Dew flasher.

Sunday, the boat I was on only had 1 diver holder, so I ran the high dive with the Mountain dew set. It took a few hits, but no fish. When I switch over to the White paddle It hooked up twice.

I think the mountain Dew flasher shines better when the white Paddle is run inside it?

One more shot just before the diver went.

IMG_9776.jpg

Ken--

You mentioned the fish that you donated back to the Lake Gods but forgot to mention my rod that you dumped overboard in the same transaction! (We did get it back, guys, thanks to the holding power of Walker releases.)

Bruce and I do appreciate the copper wire lesson and it was great having you guys on the boat. For the rest of the forum member, however, I would suggest that we are a little more sophisticated than being "old school guys with 4 downriggers and little else". Even us yayhoos up in Pentwater regularly fish high divers, low divers, full cores, half and 3 color as well as core and a half in addition to our riggers. We loved your copper rigs, though, and will be adding them to the arsenal next season. It's a little late this year to rig up a bunch of new stuff for that part of the season that remains.

As to the currents, they were wild on Sunday and as one of the two guys who WAS driving the boat, I have to note that down north of the Point, the current was from the south, not the north, which was why my probe was reading so slow on the initial north troll. Once I noticed that, and once I kicked up the speed, your copper rig and dipsey fired right up within about 5 seconds, as I recall. Thanks for fishing with us and for your tips on the copper. I just wanted to clarify that while we may be a bit old school, we ain't exactly candidates for the short school bus.

:)

Good fishing to you and the rest of the forum members.

Bill (a.k.a. Ali Baba)

Ken--

You mentioned the fish that you donated back to the Lake Gods but forgot to mention my rod that you dumped overboard in the same transaction! (We did get it back, guys, thanks to the holding power of Walker releases.)

Bruce and I do appreciate the copper wire lesson and it was great having you guys on the boat. For the rest of the forum member, however, I would suggest that we are a little more sophisticated than being "old school guys with 4 downriggers and little else". Even us yayhoos up in Pentwater regularly fish high divers, low divers, full cores, half and 3 color as well as core and a half in addition to our riggers. We loved your copper rigs, though, and will be adding them to the arsenal next season. It's a little late this year to rig up a bunch of new stuff for that part of the season that remains.

As to the currents, they were wild on Sunday and as one of the two guys who WAS driving the boat, I have to note that down north of the Point, the current was from the south, not the north, which was why my probe was reading so slow on the initial north troll. Once I noticed that, and once I kicked up the speed, your copper rig and dipsey fired right up within about 5 seconds, as I recall. Thanks for fishing with us and for your tips on the copper. I just wanted to clarify that while we may be a bit old school, we ain't exactly candidates for the short school bus.

:)

Good fishing to you and the rest of the forum members.

Bill (a.k.a. Ali Baba)

Bill welcome to the site.:welcome: Sorry if I offended you:( The old school is more of a reference to the rod holder and rigger set up on the boat. NOT on your ability. The new school set up on a boat tends to look more like this. High and low diver rods laying flat, and core/copper lines run from rod trees, and corner riggers.

Regardless it was fun kicking fish tail.

IMG_9733.jpg

If you run your poles in this way, you never have to move, or tread poles when fish hit.