South Haven 5-23 - AM Trip

Fished out of South Haven this morning with Dan(Diesel), Dan, Roger, and my two boys. We ended up 16 for 18 and had 5 knock offs with nobody home.

Left the dock at 5:30am, and ran out to 90FOW and set up. We did not get anything going for the first half hour.....except a nice sunrise.

100_2068.jpg

We worked NW to 110FOW, and turned the boat SE, and the rods started popping. Someone was reeling a fish in on one side of the boat, while I was busy resetting lines on the other. Before we got that fish in, another rod would fire. We boxed seven fish in the excitement.

Then, things slowed down to nothing. One of the guys on board opened up his cooler to get something to eat, and I spied two bannanas in his lunch box. :eek:

We went over an hour without a bump, until this little bird landed on the boat and stayed with us for about 20 minutes.

100_2071.jpg

The bird brought us good carma, and we got busy again, and picked away until noon and ended with our 16 fish.

We had 10 chinook, 3 coho, 2 steelhead, and 1 lake trout.

100_2080.jpg

What worked for us? We caught fish in 115-125FOW first thing, then we worked out to 140-155FOW to get the rest of our fish.

The wire divers were working good for the 1st time for me this year. Our hot set up was a Protroll Double Pearl Fishscale with a Siggs Rigs Brushed Stainless trophy fly on the wire diver on 1.5 with 175' of wire out. On the other side of the boat the 8" Stinger prochip 8' Bullfrog with a Siggs Rigs Al Capone pulse fly. We picked up 6 fish on these wire diver set ups.

We caught fish on the following Stinger Stingray size spoons.

Blue Dolphin on a full core

Blue Dolphin on a rigger parked at 40'

Carmel Dolphin on a fixed slider on the rigger parked at 40'.

Killer Dolphin on a rigger parked at 70'.

Metallic Frog on a slider on the rigger parked at 70'

"GLF" on a full core.

Mixed Veggies on a half core.

Craig's x-mas on a half core.

Double orange crush on a 3 color core.

I almost did not go out this morning because of the dense fog warning till noon. I'm glad I did, and there was ZERO fog out there this morning!

all i can say is FUN glad i got an invite to take part in this adventure this morning. it was fun kicked back driving the boat watching mike run around like a chicken with his head cut-off for almost an hour and ahalf. and his boys are right on it with the smooth come backs almost died when hunter asked dan a serious question in a kids eyes about wieght.

Its great to read these reports. Do your boys get sea sick? Went out with my 9year old.He always seems to get sick.Flat calm he doesn't.Inland lakes he is fine.Just curious.

They do not get sick.