Munuscong Bay. 2010

We made the trip back up to the bay for the final weekend of the Walleye season. Last year on this same weekend we had 27" of ice, -10 deg low temps and a solid 3' of snow on the ground. We we headed out Saturday am it was misty rain and temps in the 40's. We fished shallow, deep and all over, without any luck. We ended up 3.5 miles out in 8 fow buy a small pack of shanties. The ice out there was 12", with the top 6 very honey coned. If you look in this photo, the small blips on top are a group of guys fishing the old river channel, next to the shipping channel. In that group, there was a Dodge pickup. We watched him drive in pulling two shanties on a trailer. We all looked at each other and said "what kind of fool is this"?

b86g0004.jpg

Well, we soon found out who would do something so crazy, as we got to meet him on our return trip:D They made it to within a 1/2 from shore, before they went down. The guys in the background also went in with there sled. the water here is only about 2' deep.

b86g0010.jpg

We did manage 1 nice Walleye Sunday am, and decided to end out trip a day early. What a difference a year makes. There was no snow to speak of in our entire trip there and back. Most of the ice under the bridge was gone also.

b86g0011.jpg

Looks like you had plenty of entertainment. Wonder how they got the truck out?

This is how they where trying. They waited a full day before starting. It didn't work because the ice was so bad. It would have worked with a few strong planks, better pulling devices, and they needed to be there during the night when the ice stiffened up. As of yesterday noon (2 full days later) they still didn't have it out. If needed the Dnr will hire a company to run a cable out there and drag it to shore. At a very stiff fine.

Yes, they where very local guys.

b86g0014.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I live by one rule. If you can't walk out to get them they are not worth fishing for. I am sure that the guy in the truck will be back out there next year at first ice ....in his truck. Other than this post I only had one person tell me about him.

I live by one rule. If you can't walk out to get them they are not worth fishing for. I am sure that the guy in the truck will be back out there next year at first ice ....in his truck. Other than this post I only had one person tell me about him.

Did he ever get it out?

As of yesterday, the truck is still in the water. I can't believe that the DNR has let it stay in there that long. I also heard that they are not going to fine him. Hope that is not true.

Hey Ken, were you guys talking about Millenium Park the last night you were fishing? If so we were the group right beside you. I ended up finishing 5th in that derby.

Benjamin

As of yesterday, the truck is still in the water. I can't believe that the DNR has let it stay in there that long. I also heard that they are not going to fine him. Hope that is not true.

Hey Ken, were you guys talking about Millenium Park the last night you were fishing? If so we were the group right beside you. I ended up finishing 5th in that derby.

Benjamin

Ben, Welcome to the site. We where staying in cabin 1. I was not at the tent for the awards (we didn't enter the tournament). Nice job on finishing 5th.

Do you fish the St Marys river system often?

I actually grew up in Pickford and fished it every winter (dad was too cheap to buy a boat:grin:). Everybody knows my dad on that bay and quite a few people follow him. He gets laid off in the winter and all he does is fish. He won the first derby in January this year with a 12.35 walleye and caught a 14.1 lb walleye last winter up there. I would love to go up there more often in the winter to fish.

Benjamin

I actually grew up in Pickford and fished it every winter (dad was too cheap to buy a boat:grin:). Everybody knows my dad on that bay and quite a few people follow him. He gets laid off in the winter and all he does is fish. He won the first derby in January this year with a 12.35 walleye and caught a 14.1 lb walleye last winter up there. I would love to go up there more often in the winter to fish.

Benjamin

So is your last name Rye or Skinner:D;)

One of my close friends from High school is related to the skinner's, so we have been traveling up there for close to 30 years. Plus my aunt currently owns a resort on Raber bay. The fishing is not the best, but it's always fun to be up there.