Manistee is heating up 24/Jul

Went fishing with a friend out of Manistee early Friday morning (set lines in the dark at 5:00 AM). We had a great time :D we fished just north of the point and started in about 50 FOW on a north troll. The temp was a little high 54 all the way to the bottom but the bait and fish were stacked up. We took the first fish on a half core with a j-plug clown as we were setting lines. The next came soon after on a rigger set 35 down with a white glow spinney. The ladderback j went on another half core before light and that was our big fish 20 Lber. The next is a bit of a blur----as the sun peeked over the horizon it seemed all the rods were pounding and I didn't know which to chase first. I know at one point we had three maybe four going at once. I think we managed to put two more fish in the box before we had a little breather. Turned around at the nets and went south out to about 150 FOW. Seemed like the break was down about 75 at 46 degrees. Very slow fishing on the south trowel only picked up two more one a shaker which we returned. Just as we were going to pull lines the high wire diver went with a white spin doctor and pickeled sunshine fly. The fish screamed out 350 feet before I could turn him around. Slowly batteled the fish to within 20 feet of the boat when the hook straightened out and the fish lives to fight another day. We ended up with 9 nice fish to clean and back at the launch at 10:30 AM.

I fished there all week and it was some tough fishing, but we did end up with 4 fish over 20lbs on thursday. We ran offshore and found a slick and beat up on the steelhead for awhile, with one tipping the scales at 12 lbs.