length from dipsy to lure(what do you like.

I like to be able to resonably get the fish in the net once reeled up. Depends on how high your boat is off the water and room to pull the rod back. If your lead is too long and the fish decides at the last moment to go off the side you need to have a little rod left to work the fish out of the other rods and rigger cables.

I go as long as i can. Ive found the longer i go, the more productive they are on our boat. So, mine are about 6 1/2' from the dipsey to the flasher. I generally keep my fly leaders about 22" from the bend in the second hook to the flasher when running and 8" spinny, hoochie etc.

I use 8' of 20# flouro for spoons and 4-6' 25# Big Game for flashers. How the heck do u land fish with 20-40' leader? Do u guys handline after the leader?:confused:

He's using a slide diver with those lead lengths. If your not familiear with the slide diver, your main line is actually run through the diver itself and allows you to vary your distance between your bait and the diver. Easy to deploy. Set the rod in a stern rod holder, hold the slide diver in one hand and pay line out with the other until you have your desired lead length. After which you lock up the diver, and deploy just like a standard dipsey. When you get a strike and the diver trips it will slide down to your terminal end. Slide divers are a great tool that allow for some stealth to your dipsey presentation. I like to use them in shallower waters or anytime im fishing relatively high in the water column with a diver.

One other thing to consider with your leader length is how much gear you are running. If you have 4 riggers set longer leaders tend to end up grabbing your gear on the way down Esp when the waves get you bounceing around. This is why I run 9ft and 10ft diver rods so I can get the diver away from the boat and other gear.