Muskegon 14 June 7 for 7

My sons and I were joined by Mark(Just Hook'n), Glen and his son Eon. We left the dock at 5:30am and motored out. I pulled the thottles back at 300FOW and dropped us in. We put the boat on a West troll and set lines.

dsc00031.jpg

Most of our fish came in 375FOW. We did take a couple of fish in 350FOW.

1 king on a full core with a stingray size Killer Dolphin.

1 Steelhead and a small shaker on a 6 color core with a stingray size Killer Tangerine.

1 Steelehead on a 2 color core with a scorpian size Green Puke.

3 Steelhead on a 3 color core with a stingray size Craigs x-mas.

1 Lake Trout on a mountain dew colored Prochip 8 with a Siggs Rigs Green Apple trophy fly. This was on a wire diver on #3 with 120' of line out.

For those wondering. 300FOW is 9.6 miles out of Muskegon. After 300FOW, its pretty much a flat bottom out. Where we were at in 375FOW, it was 16.5 miles out.

dsc00034.jpg

GJ Mike. . . We were out of PS and heard you on the radio, but could not get a call back!?!? Your signal must have been stronger than ours.

We did not want to go to Wisconsin, so we tried set down in 150 FOW & trolled out to 230 FOW, then back east. We put I nice 14# King in the box right @ 6:30 a.m. and that was it. Enjoyable day on the water, but definetly June fishing.

Alex

GJ Mike. . . We were out of PS and heard you on the radio, but could not get a call back!?!? Your signal must have been stronger than ours.

Alex

Alex,

I am still having radio issues. I can transmit a loonnngggg ways, but I am having issues receiving.

What did you get the big king on?

How deep were you setting your gear in 300'?

Our hot set ups were 6 color core and the 3 color core. We could see occasional fish eating bugs off the surface. ;)

I just remembered, we had one rigger set at 60' and the rod it started bouncing. I hollered fish on, one of the guys, not Mark, popped the rod and just stood there with the rod in hand. "There was nothing there" :eek:

We filled him in on what a slider is, and that when there is a rod bouncing in the rod holder, after he releases it, he needs to reel like a mad man until he catches up with the fish that was on the slider. :rolleyes:

Good job Mike, it is definately getting June. Guess it is time to go searching for the Steelies off shore.

We came across a few "small" patches of scum out there. Nothing distinct or big. In these patches, we would see fish taking bugs off the surface. This was where we picked up the steelhead.

Alex,

I am still having radio issues. I can transmit a loonnngggg ways, but I am having issues receiving.

What did you get the big king on?

It was a funny thing Mike. . . I had a cheap red & green glow lure I grabbed from a $1 box @ Lakeshore Outfitters, because it looked cool. It was set 120 down on the rigger w/ a green dolphin free slider. The king hit it so hard - read cheap for $1 above. . . the spoon almost bent in half. Also, after zig-zagging on the surface for most of the way in, it dived twice around the rigger cable & we still managed to net it(~:

ALEX

For those wondering. 300FOW is 9.6 miles out of Muskegon. After 300FOW, its pretty much a flat bottom out. Where we were at in 375FOW, it was 16.5 miles out.

MIke & others. . . How far west is 300 FOW out of Muskegon? Oout of Port Sheldon?

I do not have an idea about how far out of Port Sheldon it is.

It is FLAT FLAT FLAT after about 230. If you want to get to 300 out of PS, you had better start dropping lines at about, oh, 295.

Thanks for the trip Mike. It was a beautiful day on the lake, and it is always a pleasure to crew with you.