Jump to content

zgrinder on Fin Warrior

Members
  • Posts

    485
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by zgrinder on Fin Warrior

  1. Hearty work managing fish on in sporty seas. Looks like the bite was on near sunset. Nice cooler full of fish. I was wavering on going out but didn't trust the buoy readings with a steady NW wind for most the day so I stayed tied up.
  2. Great box of fish! Perhaps the salmon that were abundant around Holland have moved a bit north.
  3. On a dead South troll, I was running 2.3 and it bumped to 2.2 or 2.4 moving slightly east or west. North troll was 2.8 till I engaged the trolling valves that brought the speed down to 2.4. Both my hits were a north troll, J-plug 70ish feet at the ball and wire diver, 1.5, 130out or about 55 feet per Smart Troll.
  4. Fished this evening with lines down at 5:30 till 10:00pm. Solo with a 3 rod spread, two riggers and one wire dipsey. Set up in 110FOW straight out of Holland and trolled south to 130FOW. Hardly a mark. Had a decision to make to stay inside or go outside. Decided to stay inside. Picked up a few marks at the bottom and lowered the rigger baits accordingly. Flipped around to a North troll once I reached Saugy working back and forth between 120 & 95 FOW. Ran SD/fly, several favorite mag Moonshine spoons, Brads Cut Plug, green J-plug, didn't bother bringing out the meat since it was crickets. A couple reports on 68 found coho in 200FOW. One 13# king was boated in 160FOW out of PS. I ended up with 2 small kings that hit the j-plug at 9:00pm (released) and the charged bloody nose on the dipsey rod at 9:30pm (kept). It was hot with no wind but surprisingly, no black flies. I think with the lake flipping back over, I should have ran out to deeper water. I was holding out the morning fish would still be hanging around. If they were, I could not find them or get them to bite.
  5. Wow, that is a great cooler for this morning.
  6. Quite the adventure. Glad everything worked out in the end.
  7. frequent the beer cart, tip the ladies well and have fun!
  8. Great morning catch SeaFoam! I hope to give it a go tomorrow night. Joined a senior golf league that plays Wednesday morning - scramble format at about 9 courses in the area. Upper management says I need more balance in my pursuits and I am really enjoying the league. Hard to fish hard and keep a handicap down but I am trying to do both while I still can give them both the maximum effort. The lake flip is really extended this year. First year I am tracking a bunch of lake data in my spreadsheets. Hope the effort is meaningful in future years.
  9. Oh My, you are killing it on Coho. Will take that box on any trip. Great results - be happy. Targeting fish is everything.
  10. Cool - thanks for sharing the mooching program. And BTY, that is an impressive King you caught. My envy!!!
  11. How deep of water did you give mooching a try?
  12. Fish on the surface chasing bait is a hoot. Brings back memories of my early days spring fishing coho with yellow birds out of Waukegan.
  13. First I have heard of DNR coming around this year. Having them coming in to check out licenses just before the sun drops down would have been unsettling for me as that is prime fishing time. Glad you made it pass quickly. Epic catch.
  14. Had the same thing happen the night before. Lots of tip ups and strikes that came undone during the fight. Glad you got two nice kings in your catch.
  15. I subscribe to Reel-2-Reel on YouTube. They have been talking up the Hulk spoon so of course who am I not to buy up a couple and have been impressed with the action they have been getting on high dipseys.
  16. Took a couple of fishing friends out for an evening float in the heat. Headed out almost straight west to 135 FOW and pointed south. Had all lines in the water before 5:00pm except one. Ran 4 riggers staggered 90-115 on the line counter (Green Flounder Pounder & Green Jeans Mag RV, blue/silver head meat rig with a paddle, Blue Slick SD/No Mercy Fly), 2 wire divers 63-68’ down per Smart Troll (Atomic Melon Mag RV & Fishnet Silver Streak Mag Foil), 300 WS (Craigs Flounder Pounder Mag RV) and 300 Cu (Orange Hulk Mag RV). The line that did not get into the water at the get go was the SB wire diver. I had just put 600’ of new wire on the real and forgot to put the clicker back on. So when I pulled line out to attach the dipsey – rats nest that somehow went behind the spool. I wound up having to take the clicker side cover plate off the reel, removing the spool while Bill pulled line out and rotating the reel to get all the kinks out. What a pisser. But we got it all back together, put a 6 ounce weight on the clip, ran all the wire and backing out to the dacron to square up the line to the level wind and reeled it all back in. Then got it in the water to do its business. Between 5-6:00, I stopped counting after the 6th tip up. The bite was incredibly lite. The meat rig went tip up 4 times, GFP twice, there was a rip on a wire diver and perhaps more. Then finally we had a dipsey release up near the surface, reeled it in to find a small coho on the business end. Another lite bite. Then after 6:00 the action started to pick up. I could not get my guests to do the walk to gain line after a hook up so it was a lot of rod pumping. That put too much pressure on the night's lite bite hook set and we lost a lot of fish. We dropped a 10-12 lb king at the swim platform netting only the lure cause the rod manager didn’t walk back in the boat to get the fish close enough. Janet was really bummed cause she prides herself at netting fish and getting them into the boat. After a couple of hours, we were 3 for 7 on confirmed ‘fish on’ strikes going into the night bite and I was feeling a bit disappointed that our guests hadn’t boated a good size king. And the float was too social for me to get into a bunch of rod and lure changes. But starting at 8:30pm, the long lines came in and the night program was put down. South troll, 115-110 FOW. For the most part it was dark baits on the higher lines and glow baits down low. Dipseys: Hulk Mag RV and Bloody Nose Mag Glow set down to about the same depth. Deep riggers: Green Flounder Pounder Mag Glow and Bish’s Bruiser Mag Glow; High riggers: Green Splatter Back J-Plug and Black Fin Tuna Mag with baits raised up 10-15’. At 8:40pm the first hit came on Bish’s Bruiser immediately after I put it down. The J-Plug got bit right after that went into the water too. I was trying to complete the lure changes and the fish were striking as soon as the baits went down. The wire diver I did not have to screw around with got hammered and somewhere in the initial run, the wire bit into the reel to a dead stop. To Bill's credit he was able to advance the reel and continue the fight which resulted in our biggest king of the night. [another garage project to get that spool right] In all, we had 6 hits with the night program that cleared 5 of the six lines boating 3 fish. Two nice kings (17.5 & 15lbs) that took a while to bring in, plus a double on one of those hook ups, blood and lures coming undone on the floor - it was controlled chaos on the back of the boat so we did not return any rods back into the game at that point. I did note on the Port Sheldon buoy this morning that cold water started to move into the 56’ thermistor at 9:00pm which could have also contributed to the good evening action. Finished the evening 6 for 13. Very pleased my night program, change out timing and sticking to the shallower water while many of the boats were out a bit deeper worked to put our guests on some nice fish and get them into the boat as well. I tried to get a video of the big king coming in on the dipsey but I had to abandon the phone at the end of the battle to hand retrieve the leader so Janet could net the fish - she got that one real good. Most of what got wet above Videos Below 07-28-25 Video 1b.mp4 07-28-25 Video 2b.mp4
  17. Hey Jon, I hate cleaning my fish box as well. Adds too much additional work to the trip. Nice catch for the morning. That small cooler makes the fish look extra BIG
  18. Ed, congrats on landing a 20lb chinook this season. Break offs & tangles, hard to keep lines in the water when the bite is on but you managed it well. Nice work!
  19. Nice catch last night. I am having a hard time figuring out the SD/fly bite. One day it is on, especially on a diver, then it is off. Glad you got em good.
  20. Another killer outing. You guys really got it going. Heading out tonight with some friends new to salmon fishing. Hope I can get half that to have some fun.
×
×
  • Create New...