Jump to content

zgrinder on Fin Warrior

Members
  • Posts

    485
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by zgrinder on Fin Warrior

  1. Smart move to put flasher/flies on the baits higher in the water column. Reports from several ports up on this side of the lake are now having success with that presentation.
  2. But you did land two nice fish for the dinner table!
  3. Super cool Mega Byte. So now I will come clean that I have a salt water rig on Fin Warrior that I started messing with perhaps 10 years back or maybe more and have deployed a half dozen times with a very short leader off one of the aft balls (Fin Warrior is west side rigged with 4 riggers), perhaps in a similar manner to the Magic Bait Ball and putting longer lines tipped with spoons just below and out to the side of this presentation. I have not dedicated enough time to this and I only ran the program mid-day when nothing else would get bit. There were a few trips that I was able to entice strikes mid-day when all baits typically shut down. Everytime I go down below in the cabin I see this rig and think man I really need to invest some more time on this. It takes a lot of coordination and care to get this in the water so it runs right - on a calm day. If fish are pounding lures, you don't want this in the water getting caught up with lines sporting active kings. If I get on this again with some commitment, would be happy to share my data.
  4. Jim Bobber - great to have your post. 7 for 9 is a quality outing - congrats!
  5. You sure did slay them last night. Pug must be exhausted. Very aggressive bite with SD/flies & meat on dipseys getting hammered from the get go. Thanks for the report!
  6. Appreciate the report that flasher/flies are now getting bit.
  7. The SH I caught the last outing was one of those prehistoric type plants where the meat had very little redness to the filet. I miss the SH with the dark red meat.
  8. What a bummer you lost your net and at the beginning of your run. So sad. I keep two nets on board just in case. Glad you gave it the college try to boat those hook ups!
  9. After making a supply run to Maple Hill Golf (can't fish all the time !), called up my dock mate Tom and he agreed to go fishing. We set lines about 6:30pm in 120FOW straight out of the harbor and headed south. Surface push was enough that I had to deploy trolling valves. Ran two riggers (SWR+spoon and White SD/Proctologist fly), two 1.5set dipseys (super slims looking to SH, by line counter out about 185', I set the depths with my Smart Troll probes so it is hard to say how much line is out) and 300 Cu down the shoot with KGF+Brads cut plug. We waited to add the 6th line but never did cos things were busy through the first hour of the run. The Brads cut plug got BIT OFF while deploying the line. First line in the water and a SH it it. Leader or knot failed. Got all the lines in the water and before adjusting the dipseys, one got bit and we released a small king. At 7:10pm we landed an 'eater king' in 117 FOW on a dipsey tipped with a DW Super Slim Blue Frog or Blue Leopard spoon. SWR with the mag DW Mag Blue Green Spotted Dolphin I have been running got bit down 66' but nobody was home. The previous dipsey got smacked again at 7:55pm producing a 10lb SH which we of course kept. Five fish in 90 min was a great start then the N/NW 20knot blow kicked in plus we had to make the decision to turn north from Saugy in case it got bad and I would have to run the shoreline on a plane all the way back to Holland. Everything shut down from that point on. We stayed in the 120-114 FOW for the most part, keeping speed as best we could around 2.4 and Fin Warrior managed that as well as she could but it was not the same as the south troll and before things kicked up. The wind backed down a bit and we managed to land a 10lb king on a dipsey up at 47' down with a Purple Stinger reg spoon (no suprise my running that presentation). We pulled lines soon thereafter. Notes: Soon as we turned north the damn biting flies came in. Marked one huge bait ball in 116FOW again but no where else. The water fleas were minimal. Great to connect with Parker and Pug o 68. # Time Fish Weight FOW Troll Wind Dir. Speed @ Ball Rod Bait Depth Bait Temp Bait 6:30pm Miss 122 S N 2.2 Copper 300 Brads Cut Plug - Watermelon Pattern 6:40pm King <5lb 122 S N 2.2 Dipsey - Mono 47 64 DW Super Slim Spotted Magic Man 7:10pm King 7lb 117 S N 2.4 Dipsey - Mono 61 53 DW Super Slim Blue Frog or Blue Leopard 7:20pm Miss 115 S N 2.4 SWR 66 48 DW Mag Blue Green Spotted Dolphin 7:55pm Steelhead 10lb 118 S NE 2.2 Dipsey - Mono 63 51 DW Super Slim Blue Frog or Blue Leopard 9:05pm King 10lb 111 N NE 2.3 Dipsey - Mono 47 47 Purple Stinger (Kevorkian) Sorry for the boring fish on the deck. It was the best I could do.
  10. Those are fish I would be proud to have boated. Nice work!
  11. Ed, all three kings were females, two natural and one plant. They had not fed recently until they met up with my spread.
  12. Janet and I made plans over the weekend to fish Sunday evening hoping the mild SE wind forecast held. Set up Fin Warrior in the afternoon. Swapped out a pair of 25lb mono diver reels for the reserve 40lb mono reels to mitigate the water fleas that have showed up early this year. Pushed off just after 6:00pm and setup in 115 FOW north of the harbor heading N/NW. The program: Five lines, two standard 1.5 set mono dipsey divers, two riggers and 300’ steel down the shoot. Dipseys targeted 45-50’ down and the riggers 55-65’ down. All spoons of a mixed variety on dispeys and riggers and a dark J-plug on the 300’ steel. The clear skies darkened with the two incoming fronts. Not sure if we were going to fish a little or fish a lot. The BP began to drop and I knew it was going to drizzle a bit. This got me jazzed up as fishing can be really good just before a storm, providing there is no lightening to deal with. Started off marking plenty of fish down 50-80’ in 115-125 FOW. Pushed out to 130 FOW and the marks were gone, same as Friday night. Moved back in and more marks began to appear. Everything looked good but not a bite. The current was wacky. Trolling speed 2.1 then 2.8mph and the dipseys per Smart Troll were up then down in the water column. After about an hour into the troll, the first front intensified so I made the big turn to head south, put on my rain gear and trolled 120FOW back to the harbor in case we had to rip and run. Rain started to pop up on and off. I was thinking this was ideal. Pulled one of the dipseys and retooled it with a mag bloody nose glow charged spoon thinking this would be money (it didn't work). Like an alarm clock, at 8:00pm, SWR with the mag blue green spotted dolpin got bit. Same time, same setup and spoon as Friday night. Down a bit deeper at 66’ on a south troll, we boated a 13.5lb king. Perfect. Got that rig back down and at 8:22pm it went off again. Boated a 12.5lb king. Hard to tell them apart but I did weigh all the fish. Changed out a now dull hook (do this!) and got that rig back down. The opposite downrigger tipped with a mag Yellow Tail spoon (or Mixed Veggie, I never can tell) was silent this trip so I switched it out to something darker (DW Half Moon – it didn’t work). I also pulled the SB diver orange/gold spoon and replaced it with a trusted Purple Stinger was not in the water but for a few hot minutes and bang it went singing. Another 12.5lb king ventured into the cooler. That one worked!!! It was now 8:50pm. I promised Janet I would pull lines at 9:00pm and with lightning visible on the horizon at that time, and more rain was coming down, even though the bite was good, it was time to call it a night. The long line did nothing. Not sure if it was the presentation or the depth of the lure as this was likely the high in the water column compared to the rest of the spread. Janet can handle the net well so there were no one man clown shows this trip. Three bites and three solid fish. A very satisfying outing. The black flies were terrible but we managed through it. Lot of Fin Warrior cleaning tomorrow. The fish will likely make it to the grill at the Eldean 4th of July cookout this coming weekend. Happy to donate. Made simple steaks with Friday nights catch. Salt brine for 4 hours, dry well, crushed black pepper and Old Bay, then on the grill for 6-8 min a side. Delicious. Brought fish to my mother-in-law for lunch. She loved it. Chef was very happy!
  13. I fished last night going 3 for 5. Specific to last night, these are my thoughts. 1. North blow created a big current. When that happens, I forego SD/fly setups for primarily spoons, possibly a J or a brads cut plug, or meat on a bait head only later in the season. 2. I started with UV spoons with the sun up at 5:00pm and the fish did not want them. When I moved to standard painted spoons, I got bit. I fish dusk a lot. UV or RV lures seam to shut off between 7:00-8:00pm, later if it is closer to the summer solstice. I see you did have NBK and a blue dolphin down. For whatever reason, I catch mostly lakers on NBK. Blue Killer produces more kings. 3. The baits right about 50' down got bit. I only had one bite at 43'ish at dusk and the was a purple stinger set up purposely high in the water column for dusk. 4. I have measured the depth of 300' copper trolling at 2.5mph on a calm day. It only gets down to 45'. It does not run near 60'. 10-color lead runs at 40' or a bit higher. Just guessing that running into the current, your long line baits might have been running way above 50'. Thats ok but last night was odd regarding the bait depth interest was only near 50'. Had I not been there, I would have come home empty. 5. Riggers: I run 15lb balls nearly all year. Trolling at 2.5mph, the depth loss due to blow back is about 20% (I know current is a big factor). So as a rule of thumb (and I have Smart Troll probes to confirm this), I multiply the downrigger counter by 0.8 to determine the depth I want my lure. For example, I ran my riggers at 62 to 64 on the counter to get near 50' down. And I use what I think is called the rule of 100'. That is, DR bait down 50' should have a 50' lead which is how I ran last night. BTW - I think I miss reported the spoon that worked the most last night. If it is not a mixed veggie, its a yellow tail. It does not have the red nose to the paint profile. I have a bunch of these from way back so I may have confused the name over time. Hope this helps. I bet you get a cooler full next time out.
  14. Glad you hand is on the mend and can handle a rod. Two very nice fish. Appears the lake did not lay down at all from last night. I ran North for 2 1/2 hours from Saugy to Holland to be close to port at sunset. Didn't want to run full throttle at dusk in the chop. The water fleas seam to be early this year, no? I was unable to trip some of the Ninja slide divers with all the pods on the lines. Hope you have a backup Hulk Mag - that spoon is money!
  15. Bigger kings moving in should make us all happy. Those 5 lb 2YOs need to grow up. 120 FOW worked for me in the evening as well.
  16. It had been 5 days and I was anxious to get out. The forecast indicated 10-15 N/NW and it delivered spot on. Set out at 5:00pm with a light wind dropping down at 115 FOW off the sliders trolling S/SW. Started with one Ninja 3-set slide diver and two riggers. Marked some fish down 50’ in 120 FOW. Pushed out to 130 FOW and the marks were gone. Rolled all the way to Saugy and turned around heading north. Worked 110FOW for a bit and headed back out. A report came in of a 15lb king taken in 120FOW (go figure) out of Port Shelden so I angled back to that depth. The chop was delightful on managing speed. At 8:00pm on the dot the green/blue spotted mag spoon on the SWR down 51’ got bit however I never got the fish to the boat. I pulled one of the slide divers and put another rigger down close to 50’ with a mixed veggies mag spoon. This got bit at 8:25pm producing to my surprise, a 13lb king. Kept it. Put it back down and it got bit again soon thereafter but released after a very short fight. That bait was not in the water for more than 5 min and it got bit again. A small king about 5lb was released. The lone slide diver was changed out somewhere before dusk and tipped with a purple stinger down 40’. That got a great hit just I released the small king as the sun was setting. Good fight producing a 10lb king that was a clown show at the back of the boat. I had one net and the DW rod on the floor, I also grabbed the other net that I never extended - great. Not sure I wanted to keep or release whatever I caught based on size, I managed to get the fish in the net after 2-3 swipes, the hook popped into the net as I got things on the swim platform so I thought this will be easy and rolled the net open and let the fish go. And it was happy to get out of my trap. As I was pulling lines, I marked bait balls in 116 FOW high in the water column. Happy to take home one eater for Saturday. Can't say I found fish, more likely they found me!
      • 4
      • Like
  17. Ed, attached is a pic of how I am currently stowing my Ninja divers. 3/4" hook and loop cable tie wraps from Amazon work great for securing the rods and anything else. With the blue noodle from Walmart, so far this is holding up well for storage. Hope this helps or inspires you to create a better storage solution!
  18. Regarding your first point, I meticulously inspected the surface of where the line wraps around the release arm and was impressed that the molded part had a very smooth surface. DW must have received a lot of feedback on the performance of this part. However, mono or flouro being stressed on any surface is something I shy away from. That is why I was searching for a system that would allow braid to run at this point of the system to reduce the stress on the line. Too early in the trial to determine if braid will cut and compromise that smooth surface. Next time I am at the boat I will try to remember how I have the diver secured to the rod. Since my spooling set up has the micro swivel downstream from the diver, it never gets to the guides. However, I use micro swivels on all my long lines and have never had a problem to date with the ceramic guides getting compromised.
  19. My UC slide divers have the spring inserted through the release arm. I suspect that is where the break in the mono occurs but I have yet to prove that. With running Smart Troll probes on these lines, I get a bit worried of losing a probe when a break off occurs. I have dropped one probe to the bottom with a standard dipsey diver before I improved how I secure them to the line with two OR-16 clips. The only braid type line I have ever used is Power Pro. Started using it 30 some years ago and never found a reason to move to something different. Use 30lb test. I had straight up braided diver set ups at one point in time but found wire divers did the same job. Don't recall ever having a break off on any of these lines nor with OR-1 & OR-8 clips. However, I never could get PP to hold well in these clips. All my long lines use PP for the backing with a 8' section of mono between the two segments to attach the OR clip. I did experiment with PP in place of wire downrigger cable. Worked fabulously going up and down but after dropping a ball or two, I gave that up. Don't recall what test I used but it was beefy. Not to say I haven't dropped a ball with steel cable however, I can spot a frayed cable easier than I could find a weak spot on braid.
  20. The lake finally laid down, actually flat and was thinking about a dusk run but with the storm coming in, settled on pushing off just after 3:00pm and fishing till the front moved in at 7:00pm. Set up in 130 FOW strait out of the harbor and headed south to SW. Two Ninja 3-set slide divers and one rigger. Just after getting lines in the water and before adjusting the depths, the SB diver down 41' with a mag Green Hulk RV spoon took a 6-7lb king in 136 FOW. I released it expecting better things to come but I could not stir up another bite. Chased some impressive marks with the SWR on a rigger trailing a mag DW Soda spoon but no takers. Moved the slide divers between 40-55' down with no luck. The Blue Hulk RV spoon on the Port slide diver did not get touched. Ample marks between 130-140 FOW so I stayed in that water for the evening trying to make it work. First time running the DW Ninja slide divers. My slide diver reels are set up with 30lb Power Pro tipped with 8' of 25lb fluoro by way of a small Spro swivel with the diver running on the Power Pro. What I like about the Ninja slide divers is it holds the braid without sliding down the line once deployed. The UC slide divers would not hold the braid line so the reels had to be configured with mono and the mono was prone to breaking - ALOT. The Ninja release is very easy to set and holds tighter than the UC product so it requires some fine adjusting to get it to pop open which simple to do with the screw setting in the back. Last, the weight dial adjustment clicks nicely into place and can be tightened with the screw so it will not move out of the chosen setting. I could see myself moving away from running conventional dipsey divers other than I have a bunch of them and they are quicker to get in the water.
  21. Ed, hope the meds get you back on the water soon. I also checked my Log and I have not been out since 6/7 for the most part due to the high seas.
  22. Good coho fishing in St Joe. Hoping the coho migrate up the lake in the near future. Would enjoy adding a few to my dinner table!
  23. Decided with Janet out of town for the evening, to jump on the favorable weather and fish! Set down in 100 FOW half way to Saugy and got a tip up and short fight right away. Thinking we got some action here tonight but that was not the case. With the north wind bump later afternoon, decided to put out 2 riggers with spoons and 10 color LC. Was thinking all long lines when I left the harbor but backed away from that once I got a grip on the rollers from the north. Marked a lot of fish between 45-85 down in 104FOW on a south troll but nothing would bite. Tried to move the big hooks off the bottom to no avail. Caught my lone king in 92 FOW at dusk and let it go. That was a bit of a surprise cause I marked noting inside of 100FOW. Ran all spoons and one lip-less crank bait on the LC. Greens/whites/purples/spots/BN on the spoon colors, not that it mattered. I had the SWR and long lead riggers all over the water column and nothing would bite. Black flies seemed to find their way on the boat during the north troll - so happy to clean that up. It was a nice evening for a float but man, where are the fish?
  24. Your new ride appears to have ample fish catching room on the aft end. Hope you catch a bunch! What is her name????
  25. Your a crack of dawn troller! Happy you tried the evenng bite. Unfortunately, it is slow morning, noon or night on this side of the lake. Need to check in how Illlinois/Wisconsin are doing. Happy fishing!
×
×
  • Create New...