Jump to content

zgrinder on Fin Warrior

Members
  • Posts

    485
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by zgrinder on Fin Warrior

  1. I will say it if your fishing partner didn't - you are a good host!
  2. You have the second report of a catfish caught last night. I didn't know catfish school up. This is crazy stuff.
  3. A catfish on a plug??? Did you keep it for dinner?
  4. Lots of fun when multiple lines in the spread get bit. Nice catching.
  5. many thanks for taking a beating with the swells and sending out a report on the bait fish. Hope to get out tomorrow.
  6. All I can sat it that you are a bad man - in a good way of course. Nicely done JDH. Hope to post a great report like yours my next time out.
  7. Many thanks for sharing your data with the DNR. Since I go out mostly for the evening bite I will admit I am delinquent in contributing. Again thanks and nice catch with PICs
  8. The Fin Warrior did not get it done tonight. We managed two shakers and nothing more. Because of the warmer water, the plan was to head a bit south, drop down in 120 FOW in front of the sliders. Work SW to perhaps 175 FOW, check out if anything was happening in deeper water then head into skinny water for the dusk bite. The program was 4 riggers and 2 slide divers with a mix of spoons and SD/flies. Getting 6 lines in the water for unexplained reasons was a slow process so we only got out to 150 FOW by 7:00pm. The slide divers down 60+ feet were in 60 degree water – not very effective. Down riggers were in mid-50 degree water, not ideal. Between 135-150 FOW, there were impressive hooks from about 110’ to the bottom. So we pulled two riggers, dropped the other two down to 100’ (140’ of cable out at the ball) and stayed there for the night working the bottom. It was a bit like Wicked Tuna fishing, watching hooks go by on the plotter, getting a tip up but no one home. That happened a couple of times. We switched to a Blue Jeans glow spoon and Alarm Clock rig at dusk but only got another tip up. The fish were there but very negative. Only minimal bait was tracked. Finally, at the risk of sounding like a tool, I want to give a shout out to Reel Ginger who I gave 40 degrees to SB as the give way vessel to allow his pass only for RG to complete the pass and abruptly steer 180 back across my bow to chase shallower water after a radio report. We were the only 2 fishing boats in the immediate area. It happens, life is short, always best to move on.
  9. Many thanks for the post. You did well this morning as the fish are still very scattered. I lost a lot of gear back in the day when I was learning how to troll for salmon. You are not alone. Regarding knots for dipseys, I recommended the Double Line Uni Knot. It is a Fluorocarbon knot but works just as well for mono. The advantage is that it does not create line burn when sinched down and does not compress the knot as well. I have found two versions of this knot on video. The one below is my personal choice. It is much easier to tie - faster and can be done in low light. One other suggestion. Every time I go out I retie the knot on the snap swivels of my dipsey rod. I try to take any sun damage, nicks, stress, and so on out of the equation. Tight lines and catch em all !
  10. You got to be joking, biting two lures in one hook up. Man I have never heard of that happening before. But the question is, which lure got bit first :). Surprised it got that rough out because the PS Buoy did not report any waves above 1.6'. Glad you hooked up with two for the effort.
  11. Well done Randy. Very smart call to put down in skinny water just north where the kings might be staging. One of the two fish in your cooler look to be naturals - not sure about the one on top. Great data for our fishery. Keep on them and tight lines.
  12. Thanks for the videos of those big fat kings. The music back drop is priceless. I feel bad for PUG not being able to get out fishing for the weekend. We will leave a few for him. Nice work in close on the night bite.
  13. Set out late afternoon to take my father-in-law fishing for salmon. The trip required an uber flat lake for him to manage a rod and thankfully Mother Nature delivered. Advice from fellow fishermen on the site encouraged working the Saugatuck mud in tight. We dropped down in 35 FOW just north of the harbor setting up 4 riggers and 2 mono dipseys. Long lines were out of consideration. Before we could get the 2 dipseys in the water, one of the 4 riggers with and SD/fly presentation got bit producing a nice 7lb king that we let go. Passed through the mud and flipped around to go back through it trolling north. South of the harbor mouth we had a good hook-up on SWR tipped with a mag Black Fin Tuna spoon running about 8’ above the bottom. My father-in-law got the rod. A good fight ensued with the fish running to the SB side as I kept turning Fin Warrior to port to center the fish. We had about done a 180 when the fluoro leader knot was finally out of the water. Then the worst happened, tip up and fish off. Man, I felt bad. Likely a good size laker but it never broke the surface so who knows. We did another run south with two tip ups on a Wonder Bread SD/White fly but no connections. Next north run we had two hook ups. SWR Black Fin Tuna delivered another 7lb king. And finally, a dipsey hit with a bargin bin white/yellow/hot pink spoon down 23’ (I just had to run this thing - it was the right time for a gaudy spoon). After 6:00pm the bite we had shut down. To my surprise, Wonder bread and hot pink J-Plugs did not get touched. I had a SD/green fly ready but it never got wet. One big bait ball was found in 33FOW north of Saugatuck harbor which produced a tip up but not tasty fish. We did not stay out to catch the late night bite. Lot of boats out tonight at numerous depths Steve Fishing 08-21-24 (2).mp4 . Hope the Parker got the bite going at sun set. # Time Fish Weight FOW Latitude Troll Wind Dir. Speed @ Ball Rod Bait Depth Bait Temp Bait 1 4:30pm King 7 35 41.1 S N 2.5 DR 20# 20'@ball 48 Silver/blue/gold SD / No-See-Um Fly 2 5:05pm Miss 36 40.1 N N 2 SWR 25'@ball Mag Silver Streak Black Fin Tuna 3 5:45pm King 7 36 N N 2.1 SWR 25'@ball Wonderbread SD / White Fly 4 6:00pm King 5 33 N N 2.1 Dipsey - Mono 20'@ball 49 Mag Spoon, bargin bin white/yellow/pink 08-21-24 Fishing Video 5.mp4
  14. Congrats and great pics. Love that big spinny - did you tape it up yourself?
  15. Keep it going Ed! You are killing it solo this morning.
  16. I believe PUG made the right call to hunt the skinny water in front of the harbor. Nice cooler full of fish for the effort. Going to take my 88 year old father in law out mid day today. He needs the water to be uber flat to get around the boat. Hope to put a fish or two on for him.
  17. Thanks for the shout out 2MD and so happy you boated and nice big king in rough water. PUG is a master on the net. Need a video of that :). We were coming in last night about that time directly east to the harbor mouth and I had two boats on radar and in visual on a plane coming into the harbor from the south. It may have been one of them but I never looked at the break wall coming in and with the engines so loud on a plane, never going to hear a wreck. There were also two boats in front of Fin Warrior in the channel so who was who I don't know. Thank god no kids got hurt. Grandpa would have never forgiven himself. As a side note, a couple of years ago, two teenagers and best childhood friends lost control of a Zodiac outside the mouth of the harbor and went into the water. One made it out, the other got cut down by the prop swimming back to the boat. The kid that made it out was the son of an employee of mine at the time. It was a dark time for many, many days. There is no way to erase events like that.
  18. Glad you got a few for the effort. We marked big hooks at the bottom in the water we were working but only got one to go right at the end of our trip.
  19. Motored out just south of the harbor to 130 FOW, pointed the bow south and began setting lines. Initially ran 4 deep riggers, 2 SD/fly presentations, one silver blue mag spoon and one green & white large J Plug, and no dipseys. Quickly had one tip up and did not have the rod back in the water very long before boating a 5lb king on a Wonderbread SD / white fly with rattle beads. Little did we know that this would be the only presentation to catch fish other than one we dragged along for hours that bit the silver blue spoon. Decided to deploy a heavy dipsey on wire, 2 set with 250' of line out. Smart troll recorded the dipsey at 82'. Later traveling north, it recorded the dipsey at 95'. Due to the current, we only ran one dipsey on the shore side. Boated another similar king about an hour later on the same presentation while making a slow turn to head back north. We intentionally raised the ball 30' to make a 180 and not tangle the balls. About another hour went by and we hooked up with a 7-8lb king, same set-up. As we went to redeploy the rod to the rigger, the snap swivel on the rigger cable broke at the ball bearing (rusted through) sending a 15lb ball to the bottom. Also, by this time, I tangled the rigger cables on each side once (cables where between 110-135' down. One tangle damaged the coating on the Depth Raider cable that I just installed 2 days ago. Another hour went by and it was almost 9:00pm. John wanted to pull lines and get in. He asked which rod to start with and I pointed to the rod that just went tip up and said "start with this one" (Wonderbread SD / white fly - again). He played the fish brilliantly and was rewarded with a 16lb king. After that, we did pull all the other lines without another bite. # Time Fish Weight FOW Troll Wind Dir. Speed @ Ball Rod Bait Depth Bait 1 5:45pm King 5 131 S N 2.1 DR 20# 115'@ball Wonderbread SD / White Fly 2 6:53pm King 5 153 SW N 2.5 DR 20# 93'@ball Wonderbread SD / White Fly 3 7:48pm King 7 143 N N 2.4 DR 20# 111'@ball Wonderbread SD / White Fly 4 8:59pm King 16 124 NE N 2.4 DR 20# 125'@ball Wonderbread SD / White Fly Running.mp4 The Catch.mp4
  20. Thanks for the spoon pics. Going out tonight. Ironically, yesterday in prepping the boat for the outing, I laid out the two far right spoons. They will be in the water.
  21. Many thanks for the report. In talking to a dock mate yesterday, that is exactly where I was expecting them to be. Down on the bottom outside of 100' getting as close as they can with the little cold water that was available. Got a trip planed for Wednesday evening. BTY, how could anyone sleep through all that action? Pug was certainly on point.
  22. You must be so proud to put that little man on that fish. Well Done !
  23. Hey Little Boat. I could feel the adrenaline pumping as I read your story. Gutsy move to pass a rod under water. Might change your handle to Maverick! In my opinion, the temp of the top layer of water is cooler this year that it is not exhausting the fish which leads to back-of-the-boat mayhem. I am dodging more lines and cables than in past years. The last modest size king I caught rolled in the last 100 feet until we got to the back of the boat and then it came to life trying to get into any other line that was in the water. Crazy stuffy. Boating two big kings is a championship day. Congrats!
  24. I love weighted steel over copper. I have many reels of both but I seam to always grab the WS first. They both sink to equal depths - I know this because I measured it with Smart Troll probes. Copper wanders more like leadcore but I just like the way it runs in and out of the reel. Bloody Nose on WS - I can see you running that set up many more times in the future. Congrats on the 23# king.
  25. you guys have a bumpy ride tonight. good luck
×
×
  • Create New...