Jump to content

zgrinder on Fin Warrior

Members
  • Posts

    485
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by zgrinder on Fin Warrior

  1. Ran a mid-day 2:00-5:00 run following Dan Keating's strategy that mid-day bites might be available around a full moon. Well that didn't pan out today. Set up my 2 slide divers and 10-color lead in 110 FOW of water half way to Saugatuck and worked that area for awhile. Buffalo Bill on the 10 color picked up an eatable lake trout in 115 FOW on a south troll but I put it back. Spotted Magic Man and Rosta Goose in the 130-145 FOW on the slide divers saw no action. Ran out to 190 FOW and nothing out their either. Came back in moving in all directions. SE troll had a strong current and required the trolling valves to be deployed. On a north troll in 135 FOW the 10 color lead produced a small king that I kept for dinner. The clouds moved out at about 3:30 and it was hot sun and flies. No much fun. Thought about running out to 300+ FOW but passed on that without any reports out that deep. The last 2 years June has been good. 2026 not so much. Lost another slide diver while clearing lines. Done with this set up. Will try the new Ninja divers and hope i can run braid under the diver without sliding back. Can't do that with slide divers. Not enough grip with braid and the diver just slides back. Mono or Fluoro breaks. Not a product I will go back to.
  2. Many thanks for the report. Spoon size and depth - may put that to work sometime today.
  3. no biters at first light. you really had to work to get what you caught. thanks for the report.
  4. Set out to fish at noon with my first mate and eventually pushed off at 5:00pm. Sometimes things just don't go as planned. First time out for us as well. Set down in 130FOW neat Saugatuck and pushed out to 212 with only a couple of tip ups. Marked very little and what we did was pasted on the bottom in >180FOW. Tried running a SWR near the bottom with a UV Wonderbread spoon but no luck. Came back in and found bait on the bottom in 138FOW but no marks and no action. Pulled lines at 8:30pm so we got skunked. Spent more time figuring out why the PSS shaft seal started leaking then stopped, reloading the new Smart Troll app to get it to run then actually fishing and losing gear on a mono DR rod that I knew I should have respooled in the off season. But I believe everything is squared away and ready for the next run after I clean all the flys out of the boat. All reports on the water were slow.
  5. That east wind was moving at a good clip. Fish were turned on and glad you found them. Good catching!
  6. First time out and your already slaying fish. Do they sell Pug Parkas on Amazon? Looks like your buddy can use one. Fin Warrior has been in the water since April 20th. But we have been slammed with travel; 8-d in NOLA for Jazz Fest, 4-d in Jackson Hole on a property matter and 6-d in Buffalo for a memorial service and a devastating Sabre loss to Montreal. Hope the weather and flies favorable around this weekend for a shakedown trip. Catch'em all!
  7. A brown trout let alone that size is a rare find on this side of the lake. Must have been vacationing from WI.
  8. I just checked earlier in the week and didn't see the buoy broadcasting data. Many thanks for the update. Fin Warrior gets wet in 8 days. Getting anxious to fish!
  9. I am putting up the following reels for sale: · 3 Penn GTi 320 - $50/ea + shipping · 6 GT2 320 - $50/ea + shipping - SOLD · 1 GTi 330 - $60 + shipping · 2 Shimano TLD 2000 - $30/ea + shipping (I missed taking pics for these, can send if interested) All reels have only been used for trolling in fresh water. There is no internal or external corrosion of any parts. The reels were always stored in the cabin after trips (not on rocket launchers); sun damage and fading of the composite housings is very, very minimal. I have owned the reels since about 2000 and most of the reels have not been used since the 2023 season. These reels were primarily my backup 40lb mono reels used only when the water fleas were prevalent or used for long lines as the opening in the line guide carriage is wide, readily accepting knots to copper and weighted steel. As I understand Penn manufacturing, the GTi reels were made in USA. The GT2 reels were made in Asia. Internally, the only difference between the two reels is the design of the clicker mechanism. The GTi utilizes a metal clicker tongue with a brass ring to control the tension. The GT2 utilizes a plastic clicker tongue and the spring/pin tension mechanism, similar to current Penn reel designs. All other parts of the two reels are interchangeable. I have never had a clicker fail on a GTi and GT2 reel. The same cannot be said for the original Penn Squall design (fixed in the Squall II). All the Penn reels have been fully serviced before putting them up for sale as follows: · Both sides of the reel opened up · Old grease removed from all parts and gears; new Penn Precision Reel Grease applied · All bearings rotated to confirm operation and lubricated with Penn Precision Reel Oil · Clicker tongue inspected for damage (none found); mechanism greased · Pawl and worm gear inspected; pawl replaced where needed; mechanism lubricated with oil · Drag washers removed, inspected for wear, complete stack of 5 replaced where needed; all washers wiped clean, lightly lubricated with Cal’s Universal Reel & Star Drag Grease, wiped with a shop towel prior to reassembly · Reels assembled, clicker, free spool and drags tested to confirm performance; drags that did not engage when star drag was backed out all the way, the handle was removed, the tension spring replaced new and reassembled to confirm performance (i.e. when the star drag is backed all the way out, the reel will still engage - over time as the drags and tension spring become worn, the reel will no longer turn when the star drag is backed all the way out) · Outside of reels wiped clean with Krud Kutter to remove any grease/lubricant from servicing · Parts replaced noted on reel tags The Shimano reels have not been used for at least 15 years and were not serviced. As with all my reels, the drags were stored with the star backed all the way out. The clicker, free spool and drags all work fine, I just cannot promote the drags as in ‘new’ condition as I can the Penn reels that I serviced. Service Record Reel Model Drag Tension Spring Pawl OOS 1 Gti 320 2026 2006 2024-25 2 Gti 320 2026 2006 2024-25 3 Gti 320 2024 2026 2024-25 10 Gti 330 2024 2025 11 TLD 2000 2010 12 TLD 2000 2010 * OOS = Year taken Out of Service on the boat Happy to answer any questions on the gear.
      • 1
      • Like
  10. I have two Otter Boards that have spent most of their life in the forward cabin or dock box that I am putting up for sale to give them a new home. I fish solo about half the time and running these off my out riggers is a lot of work for a simple 3 rod spread - I simply rarely use them. Both boards have the additional half keel and have been re-enforced with aluminum plates to support the keels and attachment line on each board. The edges of aluminum were polished therefore, there are no sharp edges to damage line. The boards and keels are available new at Fat Nancy's for $180 & $80 w/o tax. I am asking $400 plus shipping for the pair.
  11. I have two Big John planer reels that were last on the boat in 2008 and since been stored on my racks of gear in the basement. Time to give them a new home. Pics show the reels disassembled, all the washers and parts are there. No rust and minimal where. The old lubricant has been removed from the tension screw mechanism. Asking $240 for the pair plus shipping.
  12. Bill 5093 has been introduced into the Mi House of Representatives that would institute a number of changes to inland and Great Lakes fishing licenses for the purpose of increasing dedicated funding to the fisheries programs. A Hatcheries Stamp will be required to possess trout and salmon caught on the Great Lakes. EdB has posted a great summary of the bill in the Forum / General Discussion section of GLF - thank you Ed! One other point to add that might interest the solo fisherman amoung us - the bill would replace the 3 rod limit with an unlimited rod limit when fishing from a boat on the Great Lakes. Progress and revisions to Bill 5093 can be tracked at: https://fastdemocracy.com/bill-search/mi/2025-2026/bills/MIB00027860
  13. Ed, thanks for posting a great summary of the bill.
  14. Pug in the fish box is priceless. Wow, I have the Mighty Nephew spoon on my spoon noodle. Lord knows where I picked that up. I have to admit I dont run it much but might have to wet it more next year. Go Bills!
  15. I think you are going to really enjoy running that new WS rig. It doesn't sway in the water as much as Cu or Pb but it is sure easy to work with on the reel. I hope there is another run or two left for Fin Warrior this year but we are up to our eyeballs with elder care responsibilities over 3 states. The season up to the last month or so was a blast.
  16. Nice catching last night Ed. We might give it a go tonight if the weather pushes off. I don't mind fishing the rain. Janet not so much. The Undaunted / Pere Marquette ITB often comes into Holland harbor however, it currently is moored in Lake Huron so that was no likely the commercial vessel you came across last night.
  17. Way to kill it on Alewives !!! That is about as funny a story I have heard in a while on the big lake.
  18. I am surprised a SH of that size and power stayed hooked up on 300 Cu. Two nice SH in those pics and a nice cooler of fish!
  19. You are crazy to be out in 3-4' waves fishing solo, not that I have NEVER done that before, I just don't do it now. The netting part is what tests your skill set. My Cannon DRs have that function but I have only used it twice. Perhaps I will look at the manual again and figure out how to turn that function on next trip, whenever that will be.
  20. Not a big surprise that a lot of boats were out tonight. I ran solo tonight, fishing mostly 60 FOW back and forth over the Saugatuck channel. Ran one dipsey (spoon), SWR off the downrigger as my lowest presentation (meat with no teaser) and 200 Weighted Steel on the other side (J Plugs). Marked bait pinned to the bottom in the skinny water. Reports were slow from 90 to 160 FOW. I stuck to the inside cause that is what 2MD would do and kept working the marks. However, I only got one jack about 8:00 and nothing else. Put the evening program down, glow on SWR as my lowest line, a white spoon with a little glow on it on the dipsey and my money lure on the 200 Cu, a hand painted dark blue/green/gold/yellow ladder back J. I have been running this J for over 20+ years with big evening bites. Well it worked tonight. After the sun was down in 55FOW that plug got bit, both hooks were set and the result was a 17.5# king. I decided to rip the other two lines at that point. There was another boat in my proximity that was patient with my boating the fish and the 180 maneuver I made to bring up the other two lines. Looking back on it, running solo, I did not yield to his right of way after his vessel turned inland, although we were never near a potential collision. I got him on 68 to thank him for his patience as I was in his right of way and he acknowledged it was not a problem. So pleasant when captains are aware, understand what other vessels are doing on the water and not in a hurry to make way. It is a big pond out there!
  21. Reel-y-hooked, you killed it this morning out of Pentwater. Plugs have been getting very good reports this past week.
  22. Nice work this morning Ed. With 30 minutes of constant action, who needs coffee . Thanks for sharing you got the downriggers working. Going out tonight before the blow.
  23. Coho dinner is a winner at our house!
×
×
  • Create New...