lures list for beginner

For next season I want complitely refresh my trolling lures arsenal. Most of exist lures are casting spoons and wobblers.

Can you help me create some list of lures that complitely nessesary and things that I should have for trolling. I mean flashed, files, meat rigs, spoons and etc... (On my boat I have 6 planner board rods and 2 downrigger rods) in the middle of summer I use hot colors (gold, red, yellow, green) and in the end I add cold colors (silver, blue).

thanks

I am not sure how many of you have read Anton's post in the welcome center. Anton lives in Russia.

Do you have brown trout, lake trout, and steelhead(rainbow trout), in your great lakes? I am assuming you will be targeting salmon, or will you be targeting walleye as well?

At another lakes we also have Salmo trutta (maybe its brown trout, I don't know exactly) and Arctic Char (Salvelinus alpinus) . Sure, walleye is also my target.

The problem is that I see lots of different flashers(pro troll, spin doctors, Captain John King's), files and rigns, but I don't know exactly how many different lures I should have to start investigate what's better work here.

For example I can buy about 20-30 different spoons (that mentioned in "hot colors 2007" thread) I think that cover my first planner boards needs, but I complitely dont know how many different flashers and files (maybe other lures except spoons) I should have for my downrigger experiments. Maybe I'm wrong and I should use spoons on downrigger with flashers, I don't know :(

PS: Maybe someone suggest me better way how choose spoons, becasue I need spoons for walleye too, but mostly I need salmon lures kit.

If I had it to do over when I was first starting out and picking spoons, I would have started with the glow spoons. These work great in low light conditions and will also catch fish in the middle of the day. Blues/greens/whites for colors to start and probably would have salted in some orange for steelhead killers. There are so many brands of trolling spoons available that I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference and fishing style.

I'll second the sediment of Priority 1 and say to throw in a couple plugs. There's a wide array of those, but my personal preference is the Lyman lure. They are made of cedar wood, which seems to make them swim much more eradict with much shorter leads than the plastic alternatives.

For flashers/flys, this is another personal preference. I like the Pro-chip flashers that are white with a glow tape on one side teamed up with blue/green/white flies. The spin doctors are also another favorite of mine.

Good fishing!

At another lakes we also have Salmo trutta (maybe its brown trout, I don't know exactly) and Arctic Char (Salvelinus alpinus) . Sure, walleye is also my target.

The problem is that I see lots of different flashers(pro troll, spin doctors, Captain John King's), files and rigns, but I don't know exactly how many different lures I should have to start investigate what's better work here.

For example I can buy about 20-30 different spoons (that mentioned in "hot colors 2007" thread) I think that cover my first planner boards needs, but I complitely dont know how many different flashers and files (maybe other lures except spoons) I should have for my downrigger experiments. Maybe I'm wrong and I should use spoons on downrigger with flashers, I don't know :(

PS: Maybe someone suggest me better way how choose spoons, becasue I need spoons for walleye too, but mostly I need salmon lures kit.

How many hooks can you have per line? I usually run a slider line(6' line added to the main line with a swivel) on my down riggers. This lets me have 2 baits in the water per line. More baits in the water = more chances of getting a fish. If the action is fast and furious, I will not use a slider.

My typical spread is 3 boards off each side, 2 divers off each side, and 3 riggers. I usually run my flasher/fly combos on my divers. Lots of people will run them on riggers. If the flasher/fly bite is hot, I will add them to my riggers in addition to the divers.

Find something the fish like and give them lots of it!

You are on the right track by viewing the Hot Spoons thread.

I am a Stinger guy. I like the light weight of the Stinger spoons. They have a great range of speed they can be trolled at. I mostly use the Stingray size. It is an in between size between the standard and magnum spoon.

Every tackle box should have at least one of the following.

SH77.jpg

Blue Dolphin

NBK.jpg

NBK

SH124.jpg

Carmel Dolphin

SH70.jpg

Double Orange Crush

SH125.jpg

Mixed Veggies

Some of my better spoons from last year. All of the above plus these.

u.jpg

Killer Tangerine

s.jpg

Killer Dolphin

SH12342.jpg

Glo Dolphin

Green Dolphin

SH205.jpg

Orange Killer

SH98D.jpg

Craigs x-mas

SH98DR.jpg

Craigs x-mas reverse

SH125CF.jpg

Freakin Veggies

SH272.jpg

Freakin Blue Veggies

Some of us start fishing before the sun comes up, and glow in the dark spoons are a must.

twister.jpg

Nitro Twister

area51.jpg

Nitro Area51

greenfireball.jpg

Nitro Green Fireball

nitrocitrus.jpg

Nitro Citrus

Flasher/Flies

I started pulling ProTroll flashers this year. That teamed up with a Siggs Rigs Trophy flies are a GREAT combination.

There are several colors of flies I did well on. Probably my number one color was the Green Hypnotist. Bluegreen Hypnotist, Bluegreen Aqua Crinkle, and Blue Mirage also produced well for me.

Priority1 & Satisfaxion_Gauranteed

what is your favorite J-Plug size ?

GLF

To be honest I don't understand how you can attach 2 lures (spoons) on same line....maybe you can fined any pictures/photos in the internet ?

Ill be very appreciate.

GLF

To be honest I don't understand how you can attach 2 lures (spoons) on same line....maybe you can fined any pictures/photos in the internet ?

Ill be very appreciate.

Here is a crude image I just put together. You can see the down rigger cable, the main line, and a slider.

Slider.jpg

Set your main line to the down rigger and put it 10-20' down. Attach slider(6' of line with swivels on both ends. Have a spoon on the other end.)to the main line. You can wrap a rubber band around it and clip your swivel to it and the main line to keep it from sliding down to the cannon ball.

Then run your down rigger down to your desired depth. What you end up is, one line at your down rigger depth, and another line 10-20' above it.

GLF

where do you connect 4oz dive bomb on line with 1/2 lead core ?

The Dive Bomb is a planing weight. It has a planing surface that helps get your bait deeper. To get the MAX depth out of a Dive Bomb, you should put it on your lead core, closest to the leader.

So.....if you was setting your line, you would let out your leader, on the first color of core, attach the Dive Bomb, then let out the rest of the core. Some people attach their planer boards right after the core. I always let out 50-100' of backing after the core before I attach a board.

One note with Dive Bombs. The Dive Bombs really dig. You can not work a line with a Dive Bomb over another core without tangling. Always use a 4oz Dive Bomb on your inside board(closest to the boat).

With a 1/2 core and a 4oz Dive Bomb, it will get your bait to at least 50', if set it the way I mentioned above.

Priority1 & Satisfaxion_Gauranteed

what is your favorite J-Plug size ?

GLF

Ill be very appreciate.

Anton,

I use #4 and #5 J Plugs. As the Salmon get closer to spawning the spoon and plugs get larger. The Silver J is good as well as the lighter glow in the dark colors. Purple is another good color.

If I had to start over I would buy fewer spoons but buy them in different sizes and buy duplicates. Here is what I mean. One of my best spoons this year was a Stinger Kevorkian. I caught fish in every size from small to Mag. So I would buy 2 or 3 of every size of just this spoon. I think that you could do just as well with 15-20 different spoons instead of the hundreds that many of us have. That being said Blue Dolphin, Green Dolphin, Caramel Dolphin, NBK, Lemon Ice, Double Orange Crush, and Mixed Veggie always see the water on my boat. For glows I like Moonshine spoons, although some of the others are very good as well. Most people use these during low light but I have found them to work just as well during the day. Of course, I also use non-glows before the sun comes up, so I might be different. I like the Moonshine, Do-De-K, Flounder Pounder, Blue Flounder, and one that I call a bloody nose dalmation(white glow w/ red nose and balck spots). For flasher I use mainly Spin Doctors and Pro-Troll. A white 11' Pro-Troll Double Fish Scale w/ a green Sigg's Rig's fly was a hot producer for me. A Mountain Dew SD w/ a white or green fly was also good. Not too mention a Blue Bubble SD/Blue Bubble fly combo. And you can put almost anything behind a Double Crush Glow SD and it will catch fish. The main thing would be to keep things simple and try to find lures that work for you and you are confident in. Good Luck to you.

If I had to start over I would buy fewer spoons but buy them in different sizes and buy duplicates. Here is what I mean. One of my best spoons this year was a Stinger Kevorkian. I caught fish in every size from small to Mag. So I would buy 2 or 3 of every size of just this spoon. I think that you could do just as well with 15-20 different spoons instead of the hundreds that many of us have.

I agree with that sediment totally! Particularly starting out, it is easy to get so many spoons that sometimes it's easy to chase yourself with what spoon to use as opposed to paying attention to speed/presentation/depth/etc.

Tight lines,

BIG THANKS TO EVERYBODY !

hundreds of spoons :) yes I know about this, I have more that hundred wobbles for walleye fishing :) that's why I did this thread.

I saw holo spoons is there any benefits to use them compare with ordinary spoons ?

Another question regarding reels. I want buy okuma convector reels, but I can't deside whats will be better 30 or 45 size for lead core... 45 looks huge :)

You definitely want the 45 for leadcore. You want as much backing as possible. For a half core or less, I use mono backing. For anything more, I use PowerPro or Ripcord. Usually people say to have at least 300' of backing, but some days, and some fish, you could use more.

well, what about Kwikfish & Flatfish? They looks very interesting...

Another question, what do you prefer cabelas lead core or opt-tackle cooper wire ? (I don't know other wire leaders) as I understand cooper wire is more thick.

I also like dreamweaver lures but cannot find a color chart with all the lures....

thanks

here is full color list.http://www.dreamweaverlures.com/pages/product.cfm?p=DW_Spoons&product=DW_Spoons

Speaking of trolling speed. Speed is very critical to catching fish. How do you know how fast you are trolling? I did not see a lot of room on your boat for all of the electronics and such.

1.JPG

well, what about Kwikfish & Flatfish? They looks very interesting...

Another question, what do you prefer cabelas lead core or opt-tackle cooper wire ? (I don't know other wire leaders) as I understand cooper wire is more thick.

thanks

here is full color list.http://www.dreamweaverlures.com/pages/product.cfm?p=DW_Spoons&product=DW_Spoons

Thanks Anton,

I tried to get that up and it wouldn't do it for me. Well anyways here is my number one Dreamweaver lures.

0174.jpg

0506.jpg

0626.jpg

0616.jpg

1101.jpg

1103.jpg

1709.jpg

1914.jpg

There are so many colors of Stinger lures and Dreamweaver lures that you cannot go wrong by getting these two types of lures. They are number one in my boat so far.

Rich

Speed is not a problem. I control it very strictly. Sometimes Walleye like slow speed about 1.8 MPH and sometimes more that 2.5 HMP

Sonar is on the table that part of a chair and red line on my neck is strap of GPS.

Mike don't worry I go fishing from how I remember myself :)