drop sinkers

I have the setups that came with my boat. I have never used them. I'm going to give some snap weights a try with leadcore. I may also look into the Dive Bombs. I will make my own snap weights with some pinch pad releases and sinkers.:)

JMHO But I think it is wrong to jettison lead balls. I feel this way because of the waste. I have enough stuff on the bottom of the lakes without intentionally dropping more.:) I don't condemn anyone for using them.

I use snap weights with my lead cores or highlines. I normally use plain old medium or high tension spring clips that are too worn to continue to use on my planer boards, but will work fine for snap weights. They come off really easy when they get to the boat and don't drop off to the bottom of the lake, which means I don't have to buy replacements!

I have sparingly used the dive bombs this season. They work pretty well; about the same as a snap weight setup. I'd probably use more of them if I didn't have the worn out planer board releases that work so well for snapweights. Dive charts with dive bombs would also encourage me to get more of them.

Fish on!

This spring, I did some experimenting out of South Haven(where the depths don't change very fast). What I found is that placing the weight on a half core after 2.5 colors, then letting out the other 2.5 colors plus 50' of the dacron backing I use, then the line will sink about 8-10' per oz at 2.5-3.0mph.

I determined this by trial and error. First, I set up in 30fow trolled with the above setup and 1oz of weight. The spoon hit bottom. Then, I tried again in 35fow of water and the spoon hit bottom. Then, in 40fow of water, the spoon did not hit bottom.

I determined that the spoon hit bottom by pulling the line in and checking the lure to see if there were muscles on it. If there was, then I assumed it was bumping bottom. I could also tell by looking at the drag on the planer board.

It wasn't very scientific and all I used were half cores(just because I didn't want to do trial and error like this with a full core) and spoons.

I have used this rough idea of sink rates this season and I have improved the number of fish I'm getting on the cores, but I can't prove for sure that my method of determining this was correct.

Next spring, I'm going to do the same thing with a full core.

Hope this helps,

Typically these are used for bouncing bottom for laketrout pulling cowbells behind them. This is a killer tactic espically when your trying to get one more fish to fill your tournement limit. Depending on how deep you are will determine how much weight you want to use. We have used as heavy as 4 oz when fishing deep. Lakers like to hang right on bottom and when fish a bumpy bottom these are great as you wont see the fish on the graph alot of times as they look like bottom structure. The weight bouncing on bottom will stir up the silt and sand and the cowbells will catch the trouts attention. and most times will trigger a strikie. Typically you are dropping the wight off and letting it fall to the bottom. Lead is a natural mineral and will not hurt the lake. or so somone told me;). This is about the only thing I have used them for. Ive never fished them on core. That stuff is heavy enough without adding more weight.