leaders

O.K. here is something I could really use some help on. :eek: It usually takes me forever to set up because of leaders being tangled or kinked and needing to be re-tied. How do you all store your leaders. I've been thinking about using snack size zip locks and labeling them with a sharpie. In addition what type of snap swivels do you use. I didn't have great luck with the barrels so I started to look for ball bearing snaps. I've heard Sampo are great but they're a little pricey. I was going to try Cabela's I think they're ball bearings are 24 - $12 anyone use these? Also what size?

I use snells to keep my leaders, flies, and cut bait rigs. They work great and store easily with no tangles. Simply wrap/unwrap whatever you need. Plus, most of the foam type snells only cost a buck or two.

I don't remember off hand the size/type of swivels I use, but I'll look tonight and repost unless you get other posts on here. I only have them memorized by store location...........

Swim Noodle. Cut yourself a 1 foot length of swim noodle. Use half a tooth pick to hold your swivel on the noodle, then wrap your leader around, and put another 1/2 tooth pick on the other swivel. ;) If you space them about 1" apart, you should be able to get 11 leaders on a 1 foot length.

On my spoons, I use the smallest size swivel I can get away with. Some people use coast locks and other use Sampo's. I have some Sampo's, and some Berkley ball bearing swivels. I am using 30lb swivels, and I believe they are #3. I could be wrong on the size number.

I use Sampo's after having a cheaper swivel break on half, at the bearing, last year in september. 30# and I'm pretty sure the number is 3. For my dipsey to spinney leaders I use big Opti coastlocks that I got a good deal on. 50#ers. I use crawler harness keepers for my leaders. But I think that a swim noodle or foam pipe insulation would be better, less winding.

I like the swim noodle. I have an old one to cut up. I'll definatley be doing that. I think I've discovered another alternative. I was cleaning out my car and found a softsided CD case. The type that has plastic pockets and can hold 20 or more CD's. I thought I could use the pages to index different leader lengths. I mentioned it to my dad and he's been using it for walley crawler harnesses. He says it works great.

On the swim noodle I like to write the lb test leader on the end so you can keep them seperate. You could color code them also if you wanted to get fancy. It saves time and there are no kinks when you unwind them. Good Luck.

Rich

I too use the noodle idea. I picked that idea up from sea-mac when I went out with him one day last year. I cut a slut in them then you don't need any tooth picks. I also label the different size leaders by labeling the noodle tith a marker. Works great.

Now if I can only find a really good way to store my spoons with out getting them scraped up.

I got the idea from the cazman he had it in a post here about a year or so ago and it is really great. Andy, have you seen or thought about getting a "special mate" brand spoon box? these are also another great thing i learned from caz.