After Dark

GLF

I once saw a tv show, years and years ago, and they went fishing for salmon after dark. I remember them using J-plugs with glow in the dark sticks in them. Does anyone fish for them after dark?

We have had some morning were we've limited before the sun even thought about making an appearance. But it depends on the port. Out of St. Joe the fish like to sleep in, Port Sheldon was one of my best trips last year in the dark and Manistee has always been good to us in the dark. We will run Moonshine Spoons, Everglo J-Plugs, Glo flasher-flies and cuit rigs. If you are going to run at night add a glo stick to your in-line planer boards so you know where their at.

Steve

One evening last summer we were fishing out of Port Sheldon. Fishing was slow and we had only boated 2 fish as the sun set. I trolled a course toward the peirs and when we got into 80 feet of water a dipsey went off. Landed that fish and changed up to the glow Moonshines and in the next hour to hour and a half (after dark) we ended up with a 3 man limit and had to throw the last fish back because we couldn't get the lines out of the water fast enough.

I'm not sure of the company name. But someone makes a clip-on style also. A piece slides onto the flag then the glow stick slides into it. I found some at wally world last fall in Port Clinton when we were over there fishing Walleye's at night. They worked pretty good.

I see the February issue of Woods-N-Water News has an article in it about them fishing from around dark till midnight. The title is "Preperation is the a prerequisite for an introduction to Great Lakes fishing.

Last Summer Over Here That Was Some Of Our Best Fishing For Big King ,we Were Finding Steelie And King In 30 To 50 Feet Of Water In The Evening The Hole Mounth Of July We Would Not Start Fishing Till Around 6:30 Set Up For Steelie Normaly Get 3 Or 4 Of Them And About 8:00 Switch To All Glo J-plug And Moon Shines And Have A 2 Or 3 Man Limet Of King Before 11:00 And Be The Only Boat Out And Some Morning Do The Same Thing In Reverse Set Line Ant 3 Am And Be Done By 6 Am When Most People Wher Comeing Outon Theweekend This Would Not Start Till Later Do To All The Pleasre Boaters

Last Summer Over Here That Was Some Of Our Best Fishing For Big King ,we Were Finding Steelie And King In 30 To 50 Feet Of Water In The Evening The Hole Mounth Of July We Would Not Start Fishing Till Around 6:30 Set Up For Steelie Normaly Get 3 Or 4 Of Them And About 8:00 Switch To All Glo J-plug And Moon Shines And Have A 2 Or 3 Man Limet Of King Before 11:00 And Be The Only Boat Out And Some Morning Do The Same Thing In Reverse Set Line Ant 3 Am And Be Done By 6 Am When Most People Wher Comeing Outon Theweekend This Would Not Start Till Later Do To All The Pleasre Boaters

That must have been you I saw out there then.:D

We killed during the dark last summer. Even after the warm water came back after the turnovers.

I love to fish at night as long the wave are calm. Its a big challange to fish in the dark to me because when you fight a fish you have to watch out for the other rods. The lures that I use is any type of glow lures and also that do not glow in the dark work well for me. My better port to fish at night is Manistee and Frankfort.

Rich

How does everyone rig their boat with lighting for fishing after dark? What are you using for lights? How do you see your rods? How do you see the fish in the water to net it?

Questions, questions, questions.....

i have a hard top on my islander and it has 2 halogen lights on it one on each corner and i only use the intiryer lite to see the rods when the fish is near the boat i turn the light on to net and remove the hooks and set lines and then lights out again i also keep it simple and only run 6 rods 2 dipsys and 4 riggers /trouble maker you may have seen my i only fished out of saugotuck last summer and port sheldon but all of our nite trip where out of saugotuck

How does everyone rig their boat with lighting for fishing after dark? What are you using for lights? How do you see your rods? How do you see the fish in the water to net it?

Questions, questions, questions.....

Mounted 2 driving lights (halogen) on my arch and a smaller one under my riggerboard aimed toward the center to help net. last year when I fished with some of the other guys, we left the light on so your eyes wouldn't have to constantly adjust. all the light pointed aft so the driver could still see in the dark.. A very important thing in a little crowd early in the morning.

• 3 months later...