Saugatuck PM 9/14/2023

water has actually warmed some - didn't expect that (see satellite chart image)

messed around trying lots of depths in close... slow start... buddy of mine got a few going in that 8-12fow by the pierheads so we tried that but just couldn't get a program going... all we got was a northern pike on a jplug 2 color - haha

eventually we caught a coho in 35fow on dipsey flasher and then a chinook on the same dipsey flasher in 39fow and then after dark another chinook on a 3color with mongoose plug

had to work way too hard for em tonight but PUG got a few

m42 (3).png

Screenshot_20230914_222449_Gallery.jpg

Resized_20230914_203236.jpeg

Resized_20230914_204405.jpeg

Resized_20230914_202306.jpeg

Resized_20230914_200648.jpeg

• Like 2

I fully expected you would be out tonight and wanted to get out in a bad as well way but in-laws are in town for the week and we had other plans.  If flat tomorrow, we might attempt a short mid-day float. Will not have PUG the 'Fish Whisperer' on board so we will take what we can get.  Glad you got out and at least bagged a few.  The King looks very meaty :)

• Like 1

thanks and good.luck to you if you do get out there in the next day or two - in the fall sometime 10am or 2pm in the afternoon is better than sunset so you never know

please post a report so we can try to keep tabs on how many fish are still there gathering 

i have to go out of town for a sailboat race this weekend with my son - haven't told pug yet but he is gonna be grumpy when he finds out!

update from my son who works on the charter boats in GH - they are getting em real good trolling inside the channel this morning 

also he sent me this pic of the missing boat of the fisherman that went missing this week - so terribly sad...

716477656.jpg

At least the guy had a plan and let people know.  Two guys went out of Port Sheldon a couple years ago and weren’t reported missing for 2 days.  No sign of them or the boat ever found.

We we’re out last night with 2md and sucked it up.  One hit on a rigger in 50 down 42 solid fish crazy first run but ran the boat while I was taking off the fixed slider.  Caught a 12” master angler white perch out front to avoid the skunk.  Both on a standard flounder pounder.

• Like 4

Did not make it out today.  Father-in-law who taught me much about GL fishing back when I ran out of of Waukegan, is now 88 with a hip replacement.  It was not that rough out today but bouncy enough that I did not feel he could get up and grab a reel on the back of the boat.  Plus he and his lady friend have a narrow window when they can go about their business so timing it right was tough.  I have had him on my old boat with a Becks in his hand fishing so it was not a full missed opportunity, just not one we could squeeze in today.

So sad to have someone go missing on the water.  I think of that all the time when I am out alone . . . what could go wrong that I am in the water unexpectedly.  Can't say I have always lived by that rule but this reminds me I need to be safe ALL THE TIME.

• Like 2

I fish solo almost all the time. You have to plan your every move. Even under the best conditions you can still slip on your own boat deck. Still even with that "unexpected things happen".

SAFETY is 1ST. I fish calmer days more, which means less fishing, but a better chance of handling a dangerous situation. I'm more selective when I go out. I only venture out on rougher days when I have a second person with me. That is hard to do at times, when the wind and weather has kept you in port for a week or more. Worst yet when relatives have over stayed their visit.

I've been in all life kinds of weather and sea conditions and enjoy fishing. My freezers are full and I think I supply all the neighbors and friends with fish.

Fishing is fun, but always coming back is the best rewarding catch for your family.

Sent from my Z5156CC using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

• Like 3

I fish solo a lot as well. Wearing a life jacket at all times and having shared your plan with someone on shore are musts. I wear an auto-inflating life vest every time. If I stay out longer than my plan I text my wife. When I return and enter the break water I text my wife so she knows I am off the big lake. Seriously considering a wireless kill switch as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman

• Like 1

You guys are smart how you are doing it.  I don't fish alone no more and am always with the kids (and pug) it seems but even with kids you wanna talk about and have a plan if someone goes over and we do.  When I was much younger I used to be pretty reckless and stupid. Super rough water and fishing alone a lot... invisible I felt. Then at a seminar I met some salmon fisherman who had their boat sink in 76 degree water and while they had life jackets and all shoot it didn't take long for hypothermia to start setting in. Fortunately someone randomly passed thru their part of the lake and saved em but a couple hours and those guys were messed up.  Warmer surface temp and a life jacket and you can still be in a world of hurt I learned!

such a beautiful lake... the deadliest in the US though

download (8).jpeg

• Like 2