Wire dipsys

Hey everybody. New to running wire dipsys this year, and I’ve got a couple questions. I’ve run braid dipsys for a few years so I have the basics down. Let em creep out under pressure, run a snubber, the whole world. What I’m wondering is does everyone run backing behind their wire, or just straight wire. And how much backing and how much wire? I was thinking about 2-300 ft of braid backing then 500 ft of wire, but looking for opinions. Also, because I’ll still be running braid divers, I plan to run the wires at a 1 or 1.5 and the braids at a 2.5 or 3. Any tips you can give me would be much appreciated. Can’t wait to get out there and frustrate myself to death lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

Thanks guys. Any thoughts on what number to run the dipsys at? Also... my wire rods are 9’ my braids are 9’6. Thinking I should probably go to 10’ on the braids, but if I don’t need to spend the extra money, I won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman

I agree with 1000' but if you have an extra large reel you may want to use backing to fill the reel. That way your counters will be more accurate and you will reel in more line per crank. so it depends on what reel you are using. The rods and settings should be fine (always need great care when using 2 per side) but some guys use a smaller dipsey for the High diver and some like the larger so that it pulls it farther out. You will need to find a system that works best for you. Too close and you risk tangling the high and low and the farther out you go you need to send the planers way out or you come up underneath the inside one. I kind of like the larger on both but with the smaller weight on the high diver. Also if you're pulling spinnies you may want to forget running 2 per side in rough seas or  tough currents and save yourself some headache. 

Gonna be using coldwater 453 reels, so I’ll definitely put backing on so the line counter is more accurate. I didn’t even think about that. I’m hoping when I’m running all 4 dipsys I’ll be in pretty deep water so my inside boards should be fairly wide. I’m sure it’ll be a learning experience lol. Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Great Lakes Fisherman

I run 1000 ft wire on 30 series reels no backing. I dont get too hung up on having my line counters calibrated perfect. I just let my divers out a little at a time and use the counter to be repeatable after i catch a fish. Hope that kinda makes sense.

Also if running only 2 divers i usually run on 1.5 and if running 4 ill go 1 and 3 on settings.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App

I have backing on all my wires, I prefer to have a full spool. I always run more line out on the high/outside diver, which helps prevent tangles on turns. Low diver on 1.5, high on 3. The rods you have will work fine, but you will need to have your high diver rod holder one notch up to keep your rods apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...