Grand haven memorial weekend

Friday night: 4-6 with chandler. Mud to 110fow is where we caught out fish.

Saturday moring: 11-11 two man limit by 9:30 had to let go a shaker. Fished 25-65fow. Riggers 28 and 19 down. 5 color, 2, and 3 colors were hot.

Saturday: charter with desprado. 6-11 big kings 45-65fow 10 color wonderbread hot. Lost our whole rig when big king almost spooled us! Riggers with yellow and mix veggie spoons. Great weekend of fishing!! Lots of 12-17 lbers!! A 5lb brown in the mud too.

post-5669-14498788149376_thumb.jpg

post-5669-14498788149549_thumb.jpg

post-5669-14498788149669_thumb.jpg

post-5669-14498788149769_thumb.jpg

post-5669-14498788149877_thumb.jpg

10 fish plus the small shaker he said they had to let go sounds good to me thanks for the report

Sounds good to me also. Way to go and thanks for posting. Heard some grumbling from down that way, this should give some optimism.

Now if we could convince the guys that are killing 10" to 12" kings to just let them go. You are killing your fish for 2 years from now. Please DNR put a 15" minimum on Kings and Silvers.

I'd throw my hat in on that one, hell make it 18 or 20 inches and get the surrounding states to follow suit.

Indiana already does it. Thrown back plenty of dead 13.5" coho.

I knew it would only take a short time before someone responded this way. Yes some are gonna die. Lets say we do a slot with only one or two below 18 . If its bleeding through the eye ,keep it if its healthy as can be flip it off without even netting it or anything. I think in the long run its the best option. We used to think that all the lake trout that floated were dead til a seagull came around and they swam away. With the slot we have had for years in the bay, the lake trout fishing is at a high for both size and numbers.

What does it matter. Killing adult salmon means they never spawn which means in 3 years there's no offspring from that fish. Killing a 16 inch king means that fish never grows up either.... boats go out in October and slam young of the year fish yet we still have adult fish....

What does it matter. Killing adult salmon means they never spawn which means in 3 years there's no offspring from that fish. Killing a 16 inch king means that fish never grows up either.... boats go out in October and slam young of the year fish yet we still have adult fish....

You can't wrap your mind around the fact that maybe some of the released fish would even grow up to a 2 years stage and be fun to catch. Everyone knows an adult salmon is done, but come on a 12 incher ? Let em go, let em grow. This may be a touchy, no good answer topic

No hard feelings here I won't get angry for a difference in opinion on fishing. I'm just saying we have such a small impact on the population by the number of shakers kept. If it really did make a significant or noticeable difference wouldn't there be more restrictions?

Either way I'm taking away from the original thread. Perhaps a discussion best kept seperate

Thank you guys for your feed back! I am the same way, id rather let a throw back go than see him suffer in the cooler. Also in the back of my mind i know in three years that fish will be a line peeler.

Remember when Blue Fairways won the grand haven tournament weighing 12 little kings for 6.35#? While legal, but a moral gray area, to understand how tough fishing was, make that decision, execute it and win the tournament? Brilliant!

guys quit thinking that you are living in days of old we only had 48000 young fish this year to plant in St Joe we used to have a hundred fifty thousand let the things grow up if you're so darn hungry for fish go catch catfish