What Did You Add During The Off Season

I purchased a boat in the fall with nothing on it. I found a GREAT deal on a new Lowrance lcx-111c. I also picked up three Big Jon down riggers to do the rigger work. I am guessing we are only two months away from fishing the Great Lakes(Except Superior).

What did you add, or are planning to add, to your arsenal/boat during the off season?

I fish from an 18 ft’r with 2 manual swivel downriggers mounted on a removable board. I was looking at a replacement rod holder but couldn’t find one, reasonably priced, that I trusted with the “thumper†so I built one in my basement.

THUMPERROD.jpg

Then I decided why not start all over & put a little front extension on it for a recessed scale.

dwnrgrbd1.jpg

Yes it’s hinged. (5/16†rod) This way the rigger is outside of the boat & I can swivel/lock the rigger parallel to the boat, set a stacker without reaching (& falling overboard) or denting the hull. At the dock they hinge up out of the way.

I fiqure I only spent $85-90 on it of which the majority was for stainless screws/nuts. (I had the scale & rigger mounts)

I added 4 Big Jon Rod Holders. I am also adding an 8 rod rocket launcher to the hardtop. The rocket launcher is a custom made one that will also have my 2 Halogen Fishing lights and my anchor light attached to it. I'm building it so I can just roll it down for clearance. All the SS is cut, I just have to weld it up and install it. I'm also going to convert two of my spare rods to leadcore.

Let's see...I added a 29' Penn Yan, 6 new Daiwa Heartland rods, 4 new Daiwa SG47LCA reels, 2 new Daiwa ADP47LCA reels, about a dozen new Spin Dr's, some spoons, etc.

I'll be doing some work on the new ride and will be outfitting it with a Bert's track system and some rod holders to start. From there, who knows...she's pretty well rigged at this point, but there are always things I want to add!

I also fish from an 18' boat, so space and flexibility were my focal points. I added additional non-trolling rod storage for rods not in use. That gave me reason to add two more dipsy rods with Daiwa Sealines and Daiwa rods. They will have 30# spider wire.

I also added a couple new compact boxes for spoon storage. I didn't like the big box I had because it was always in the way. I substituted it for a few compact boxes that are size and color coded and fit into better storage areas.

I've ordered 4 Berts rod holders with sliding tracks, too. They're not installed yet though. I've been too busy working a couple side projects to pay for the new toys. :D

I fish from an 18 ft’r with 2 manual swivel downriggers mounted on a removable board. I was looking at a replacement rod holder but couldn’t find one, reasonably priced, that I trusted with the “thumper†so I built one in my basement.

THUMPERROD.jpg

Then I decided why not start all over & put a little front extension on it for a recessed scale.

dwnrgrbd1.jpg

Yes it’s hinged. (5/16†rod) This way the rigger is outside of the boat & I can swivel/lock the rigger parallel to the boat, set a stacker without reaching (& falling overboard) or denting the hull. At the dock they hinge up out of the way.

I fiqure I only spent $85-90 on it of which the majority was for stainless screws/nuts. (I had the scale & rigger mounts)

Who did all of the machining on the rod holders? Do you have a mill in your basement?

well i was going to trade in or sell my cannons and try out the scotty riggers but just added 2 of my old ones to it so i have five. i can run the four corners or 3 set for salmon. when i pulled the boat out last fall the paint blistered off the bottom to the bare metal so im in the process of trying to get a new coat of paint on it before spring. also im in the process of putting together some planner rod and reel combo`s for browns and still want to put together a new salmon rod set up, going too try the SWR rig this year. few too much...